Amyloid theory seems to have been founded on doctored data

The amyloid theory seems to have been founded on doctored data.

3 Likes

Have to wonder how many Billions of dollars taxpayers and Medicare recipients will be robbed of with the aducanumab fiasco. A drug more or less not shown to help alzheimer’s patients that costs $56,000 a year nonetheless.

The article references a specific amyloid protein, it might not extrapolate to the entire amyloid research history having fraudulent origin.

I still believe amyloid and its precursors are downstream of the root cause. Could some of these amyloid centric pharma trials lead to a “slowdown” of symptoms associated with amyloid/NFT accumulation (without risk side effects)…perhaps. Preventing the disease pathogenesis…no.

Slowing down is still a hugely important commercial incentive for big pharma given the prevalence of AD of an aging western society.

The use of transgenic AD mouse models, although I understand the model for scientific discovery, is fraught with epic translation failure. Mice don’t get AD. You could argue this has been the biggest diversion of the last 20 yrs…“amyloid myopia”

From the reference:

“You can’t cheat to cure a disease. Biology doesn’t care.”

Extending this philosophy, we seem to have not yet figured out how to optimally harness rapamycin (rapalogs?). Human impediments are slowing down the translation…but biology cares not.

Mr. Cynic here: Once again, why I do tend to distrust many of the research papers I read, even on PubMed.
Maybe this article overstates the problem, but it is one of several articles that makes me take every study with a grain of salt. This Alzheimer’s study fraud particular pis**s me off because of my age.
Think of all of the years of possible wasted effort.

2 Likes

Plamoalogens have been recommended as a means to prevent Alzheimer’s disease.

• There is, in fact, a commercial product for Alzheimer’s, with plasmalogens derived from scallops. It is exorbitantly priced for 1,000 mcg (I mg) of plasmalogens. It seems they shot themselves in the foot with their graphs of plasmalogen content of foods. You get 3 mg of plasmalogens from one gram of mussels. So taking two caps (500 mg) of green lipped New Zealand mussel powder should provide higher levels of plasmalogens than the commercial brand.

Eighth slide shows plasmalogen content of various seafoods.

1 Like

Yes, and a very specific subset…seafood enriched types, and MOST especially fish roe.

https://sci-hub.se/10.1096/fj.201801412R

“Fish contain ∼1.0–1.5% of their ω-3 fatty acids in phospholipids, whereas fish oil in supplements does not contain any DHA in phospholipid form. Fish roe, in particular, is one of the most concentrated sources of DHA in phospholipid form. The roe from salmon, herring, pollock, and flying fish contain ∼38–75% of their ω-3 fatty acids in phospholipid form, mostly present in phosphatidylcholine. Another rich source of DHA in phospholipid form is krill oil, which contains ∼35% of DHA in phospholipids. In contrast, formulations of fish oil supplements containing DHA are generally present as free fatty acids, ethyl esters, and, to a lesser extent, re-esterified triglyceride”

https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.10.050

I take a full tablespoon (15g) of flying fish roe daily. I have a Japanese market not too far from me. Not that expensive. Can buy a 454g bulk pack for approx $20 CDN, or $.67 CDN/serving. Whereas my 3g/day DHA/EPA (2300 mg DHA, 700 mg EPA) is almost $2/serving.

1 Like

Covered in depth in this previous thread: Eating "SeaSquirts" reverse signs of Aging?

EPA-enriched ethanolamine plasmalogen alleviates atherosclerosis via mediating bile acids metabolism
https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2020.103824

A B S T R A C T
The DHA/EPA enriched ethanolamine plasmalogens (EPA-PlsEtn) are widely present in seafood, and EPA-PlsEtn exhibits unique effects on improving cognitive functions. However, there were no reports on the alleviation of dietary EPA-PlsEtn on atherosclerosis. In the present study, supplementation with EPA-PlsEtn for 8 weeks dramatically reduced atherosclerotic lesions by 78% and serum LDL-c levels by 73.9% compared with model group. EPA-PlsEtn possessed lowest hepatic cholesterol levels associated with increased bile acids synthesis and excretion into feces. EPA-PlsEtn increased CYP7A1 expression through suppressing FXR activation. The increased proportion of bile acid TMCA, FXR antagonist, might contribute to the increased bile acid synthesis. In conclusion, different with EPA in form of EE or PC, EPA-PlsEtn efficiently alleviated atherosclerosis via lowering cholesterol levels by suppressing FXR expression. These findings provided new evidence and thought to explain the unique bioactivity of EPA-PlsEtn and new sight to re-understand the structure-activities relationship of DHA/EPA

Short-term supplementation of EPA-enriched ethanolamine plasmalogen increases the level of DHA in the brain and liver of n-3 PUFA deficient mice in early life after weaning

“EPA-pPE and EPA-PC remarkably increased the DHA content in the brain”

And cancer

Short-term supplementation of DHA-enriched phospholipids attenuates nephrotoxicity of cisplatin without compromising its antitumor activity in mice

“DHA-PL exhibited an additional effect with cisplatin on the survival of ascitic tumor-bearing mice. These findings suggested that DHA-PL are one kind of promising supplement for the alleviation of cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity without compromising its antitumor activity.”

Any seasquirt update, they are amazing?

May try them this week, right now they are hanging out in my freezer. Can’t say I’m too enthusiastic about trying them…

1 Like

You seem to have “squirted” out of that intervention. I did my utmost best to hold down even one bite the one occasion it was plated in front of me. Not on my “acquired taste” bucket list.

2 Likes

Wow. Do they export to the US?

Quite certain you can find this in a local US Japanese/Asian food shop, it’s not that hard to find. You know those little red eggs they put on top of sushi rolls, it’s ubiquitous. You can buy Tobiko or Masago, slightly different type of small fish species roe.

1 Like

Thank you. Just found it in an Asian wholesaler website in Queens, NY.