Alex K. Chen metabolic / CGM progress (my "everything in longevity" thread)

The spikes AND the average level may both matter?

Well I wish my parents had this knowledge too. Rice is used all the time in South Indian dishes. Sometimes they think it’s time for something new, and use wheat. Doh. But I can’t really blame them as they didn’t know better, and the culture/scientific thinking then was also pushing them towards low fat, rather than lower carbs. I’m a bit grateful though that my mom was very conservative with sugar, and looked down on pastries and soda (unlike some of my friends’).

Were you able to get a CGM in canada without a prescription? I’ve heard oat milk can be pretty bad too, and find it absurd that some people think it’s healthy.

Oat milk is TERRIBLE, i had a little bit of it at foresight weekend to pour into the coffee AND THE SPIKE WAS TERRIBLE AND THE BG STAYED AT AN ELEVATED LEVEL FOR THE REST OF MY DAY. i literally thought my sensor was miscalibrated from then on out, but it turns out i was wrong.

this was before i developed some degree of insulin resistance later in December (which finally forced me to cut back on even berries). Insulin resistance is not in-and-in-itself bad (b/c it can be a rapamycin/mTORC2/fasting/ketosis effect, and fats are the cleanest fuel) but I’ve noticed I have to be much more careful about carbs now than when I visited you in Finland (even on the trip back afterwards, I was able to eat a lot of Air France bread due to hunger+lack of other options and the glucose stayed elevated in the 130s but never peaked above 140)

Canada requires no Rx for CGMs

1 Like

Thanks, I may be visiting Canada soon and it’d be nice if I can buy Freestyle Libre 3 there.

Btw, more on oatmeal: Login • Instagram

These 2 accounts have helped me with some vicarious CGM knowledge even though I know that different people may react differently to different foods:
Login • Instagram (frequent CGM posts)
Login • Instagram (infrequent CGM posts)

1 Like

LOTS OF BEANS AND BEANS and canagliflozin again last night

Eat a steak, dude. Guaranteed won’t spike glucose or insulin.

2 cans of beans for spike 1 then carrots

I think I’m getting to the point that I want to reduce the amount of money I spend on these, I’m getting good enough of an idea. I’ve now internalized my trauma response from eating both bread and fruit. :stuck_out_tongue:

ThinSlim breads coming on Wednesday!! I’ll see how low my BG can get when I regularly eat them!

3 Likes

Two raw eggplants

Thinslim, beyond meat, almonds.

BP: 95/62.

One 760 calorie box of almonds per day is enough for me to satiate nut cravings at home. It’s when I’m away from home that I don’t know how to calibrate appetite and then when I’m capable of going on 2400+ calorie nut binges (even though they don’t seem to increase my CRP).

Taking a SGLT2 inhibitor break from now to go on more of a thinslim foods diet and see what a new BG baseline is (god i hate abstaining from fruit, but between vegetables, beans, and nuts I have enough alternatives). I did eat a small number of raspberries yesterday, but like, I just can’t eat 500g+ of berries the way I used to be able to do (but, say, a stray peach or apple once in a while after vegetables is FINE)

The postprandial inflammation is REALLY the most important metric and this is where nuts are fine, and where beyond meat is still unclear.

1 Like

I would be careful with having that much almonds. I used to eat a lot until i got a kidney stone. Almonds are very high in oxalates, and having so much all the time, could increase your risk if you have any susceptibility.

2 Likes

Lots of thinslim breads, then 2 avocados

Canagliflozin then 2LB strawberries, NOTHING CHANGES

1 Like

What dose if canagliflozin are you taking?

just 100mg. BG has been ultra-steady the past 2 days. Will reduce reliance on thinslim bread ($$) today to see how many carbs I can absorb without any increase in BG (maybe I finally depleted my glycogen). Otoh my weight is higher than before (it’s not inherently a bad thing but I’d like to reduce it over time, which the SGLT2 inhibitors might help).

just ate 1 can of black beans + canagliflozin - will test this again!

I mean yesterday I did eat 1 entire package of thinslim bread, 1 entire package of thinslim bagels, 2 lb strawberries, and 2 avocados + 2 macademia milk packages, which is still more calories than is ideal.

![Screenshot_20220128-084322|225x500](upload://yoEo canYi9eP6jhMayRsG0mMKu5XRJ.jpeg)

1 can of black beans increases it to 100 then back to 90

1 Like

Yes, i found it very easy to lose 15lbs in Two weeks with 300mg per day of canagliflozin.

Wow! Were you trying to lose weight or was this incidental?

It was incidental but there is lots of research that suggests it helps in weight loss at least in the short-term.

1 Like

I wonder if over the long-term, we develop tolerance, or we just end up eating more. Hmm.

Am feeling tired af today despite 400mg caffeine. Maybe this was b/c I took canagliflozin yesterday evening, and AGAIN today morning so they STACKED. I don’t need this much.

Not a terrible day. This month has been emotionally hard on me b/c of the markets all crashing hard.

Also as of yesterday i’m FINALLY able to SPELL canagliflozin right on the first try so I don’t have to use SGLT2 inhibitor ALL THE TIME.

1 Like

Alex - just keep tack of your fatigue over the next few weeks.

After I was on cangliflozin for a few months I noticed that I was really tired frequently… then I searched on side effects and found this:

In this pool, INVOKANA was also associated with the adverse reactions of fatigue (1.8%, 2.2%, and 2.0% with comparator, INVOKANA 100 mg, and INVOKANA 300 mg, respectively) and loss of strength or energy (i.e., asthenia) (0.6%, 0.7%, and 1.1% with comparator, INVOKANA 100 mg, and INVOKANA 300 mg, respectively).

So, if the fatigue continues, you might test some period without canagliflozin and see if it might be contributing to the fatigue: