Alex K. Chen metabolic / CGM progress (my "everything in longevity" thread)

So they don’t really believe in longevity? Just trying to cash in?

1 Like

That’s quite telling. Although I am not a massive fan of David Sinclair he has the advantage of appearing to be young and putting his digestion system where his mouth is.

Longevity and health has always been something that people value (particularly older or less well people). Hence it can readily attract snake oil vendors.

However, I don’t myself think the arguments for B3 alternatives are that strong although I can see the merits of taking those if people are not doing anything else to improve their biochemistry.

I would argue that things like D3 are “longevity supplements” because you need plenty of 25OHD for good health.

They just don’t believe that the supplements commonly marketed for longevity do much. They are working on drugs that seem to do some amazing things. I will post more on what I saw at the conference in the next week when I have time to catch up. Some very interesting new things…

Lots of people taking rapamycin, much fewer taking the supplements.

2 Likes

Actually, that makes sense. Rapamycin is probably better than all the other supplements combined.

1 Like

Regarding if theres anything stronger , it depends what the protocol is.

Aging is mainly an entropic process so things like dietary restrictions and rapamycin mainly slow the accumulation.
To repair the different cellular entropy for huge gains in lifespan requires complex combinations of things.

3 Likes

ive recently been pouring olive oil on top of cheap coleslaw - it makes the coleslaw tasty and is much less addicting than nut binges.

ive been back from europe for a week now. europe was a lot of exercise, and my weight was 100 upon arrival (despite intermittent binging on nuts and fake meat => some european fake meat, esp the Swiss and French kind, is quite delicious even though it’s better to just eat tofu). I was at 97lbs prior to Europe so maybe I gained 2 lbs but it’s okay.

I didn’t make use of semaglutide while there either (I could have made use of it, but god, there was so much delicious supermarket food and I wanted a lot of it). i overate some foods after arrival but weight is still roughly stable (and now I bought soymilk which should curb appetite, ESP on top of mt hagen coffee). It is higher-calorie density than nut milks though [and SURPRISE - is surprisingly high in soybean oil, so nut milks are still healthier than soymilk].

As you can see at What are your favorite low(er) calorie, low calorie-per-volume-ratio, or appetite-suppressing foods? - #11 by AlexKChen - I’ve pointed out some of my favorite European foods here.

They have glass jars of mushrooms (esp in France and the Netherlands) that are super-cheap and tasty. France has LOTS of glass jars of soft vegetables that are SO cheap and easy to use as fast food.

I made a youtube video of myself shopping at a french grocery store: French grocery store - YouTube (note I have not fully recovered from a traumatic incident this year so some parts of it still strangely come out when shopping).

Food log:

Nov25-28 in Berlin. I overslept the last day (I was still stressed from a traumatic event).
Nov28-30 in Zurich. I totally remember overeating A LOT in zurich (there are LOADS of jarred swiss mushrooms that are delicious). Swiss food is said to be expensive, but there are exceptions and I did not go much for restaurant food.
Nov30-Dec1 in Lausanne. Was treated to a coconut curry meal upon arrival (at ULausanne/EPFL, I had 4 swiss persimmons that massively spiked my BG). Weight temporarily at 107 lbs (even though it was all food weight - my natural weight was still at 100)
Dec1-4 in Geneva. there was lots of free brainhack food (fruits) but a lot of the glucose-spiking kind that allowed me to test my CGM. Dec3 was day of the geneva marathon. I know I ate 700 calories of bread + acarbose at the Geneva Hostel and it barely spiked my BG, making bread safer than many fruits!
Dec5-7 in Skopje. loads of apples/oranges on dec5 evening that didn’t spike glucose TOO much. (I got SushiCo the middle day [the cabbage was incredibly delicious - my host said that Macedonia was an agricultural nation and felt flattered that I said the cabbage tasted so good], and delicious mushrooms in the mall that evening). They say how vegetarianism “comes to die” in the Balkans, but there is so much delicious low-cost food in the Balkans
Dec7-10 in London lots of beans, loads of veggies (tho processed snack foods on the 7th), also was treated to a Chinese restaurant in London on Dec8. I did eat 500g of roasted peanuts the last day.
(Dec10-12) in Paris. On the 11th I first went to a veg restaurant (way too expensive for how much it contained) and then I ran all around the tourist-y parts of Paris to get a mental map (tomatoes and fake meat near the Eiffel Tower). I know I ate LOADS of glass-jar veggies on the night of the 11-12 (when I got treated to a hotel). It is really easy to find healthy fast-food in France. Train from Paris to Amsterdam where I joined a call AND found out bad news that I am still re-adjusting to…
Dec12-14: in Amsterdam. Lots of mushrooms and carrots in the intermediate day (also was given some roasted mixed nuts, and psitchiaos ealrier in the day.
Dec14-15: in Berlin. Cranberries +tomatoes in Amsterdam [the cranberries were so tart they made my tongue bleed, and tomatoes were painful to eat]. Then at the airport Albert Hejn I ate more green beans, mushrooms, and tofu (before the plane). I know later on the 14th at Berlin I got hungry and ate A LOT of food at the ring center (b/c the regular supermarket was too crowded. [I binged on 200g dried apricots, 100g dried mangoes, 200g almonds, and then on the flight back it was 200g of brazil nuts [they the cheapest at the REWE even tho im concerned about the huge amounts of selenium] + mangos. But that didn’t seem to increase my weight.

I miss European supermarkets now. American ones are not terrible, but they certainly don’t contain some of my favorite soft vegetables in glass containers. It is harder to use vegetables as fast food in the states. In Europe they do often sneak in sugar in a lot of the glass-jar-vegetables so you have to be careful, but there is still enough vegetables that does not come where they easily sneak sugar in that I could live on just these vegetables

(overall, America still > Europe largely for air pollution reasons [yes it’s that impt] unless you’re in the extreme north or left-most coastline of Europe [Amsterdam has clean air])

Wow people asked me to describe my eurotrip and I was too tired for even bare outlines til now. Maybe it’s the instant coffee… I forgot to bring supplements with me to europe too (so no plasmalogens or creatine even though these are so impt for my brain)

===

But really, Mt Hagen instant coffee (why I have not discovered this earlier, I do not know - it would have prevented the plot-altering nicotine overdose this year). Some brands of instant coffee are higher-quality and lower-acrylamide.

Ugh, caffeine pills don’t work great enough for me, and I know from conferences and Harvard that drinking LOADS of coffee works great for my alertness. Coffee-makers are too bulky. Why didn’t I discover this simple solution earlier, why didn’t I?

What is the chemical composition (and kcal/g) of the polysaccharides/oligosaccharides/raffinoses/non-digestible fraction found in beans vs bread/rice/corn/pasta and other starches? - #8 by AlexKChen - I discovered keto bread at target and am recalibrating. I have been dead tired for much of the first week after europe and discovered why I horridly OD’d on nicotine earlier this year (b/c I’m tired after exhausting events and maybe it’s OKAY to oversleep after them. But when I’m tired I tend to take A LOT of nicotine to try to recover [and sometimes the first few batches don’t feel like ANYTHING so you do more…]. This time around I was not proximal to any mania-genic stimuli this time so this time the nicotine just barely felt like anything and did not propel me into a strange manic episode like the one that hit me in June).

I am recovering in energy now and FINALLY did my proper research into instant coffee, b/c I KNOW that instant coffee works better for me than most things.

I have been so lazy and lagged to do proper research in lots of things this year. Like, I overate pretzels in Montreal this year (without doing the proper compensation by acarbose).

FWIW I actually enjoy the major side effect of acarbose (it is not all that uncomfortable and a total indication that “something is working”).

==

I had two periods of weight gain this year (one at the beginning due to nut binges, and one in SF in late July/early August, possibly due to nut binges, possibly partly due to Future Forum [and adjacent] food). My biggest fear [of gain in TX] did not materialize and I stayed the same weight there. I had one huge weight loss period in early June [connected with nicotine…] and then [actively] again in October when I finally drank enough nut milks to fill myself up [tho I had a period of depression too]. Overall it balanced out and I’m back at 98-100 lbs as it always recalibrates to…

2 Likes

I am now returning to using olive oil on top of Amazon.com

as the base of my diet.

Have you ever tried Yacon, or yacon syrup? I’m liking what I read about it and ready to order a bunch to grow next year with my sunchokes.

Hm no, but it looks interesting. still has 2g of sugar. I wonder if allulose is healthier?

I don’t crave sweets, unless the sweets are used to reduce the intense bitterness of smg else.

I got keto raspberry jam I’m gonna try that.

I think I gained weight recently b/c of all the beans I’ve been eating. It’s really an optimal combo of coffee + soymilk that can reduce my appetite. I lost weight in October, I need to remember how to do calorie restriction (even w/o semaglutide) again. Soy milk being 2x the calories of almond milk is important if even 10% reduction in calories can reduce epigenetic aging (but I need soymilk for now for certain other reasons)

I ate tomatillos for the first time 2 days ago! also it’s good to get tomatoes when unripe and still green

I found out who gifted me the high-phenolic olive oil last month

2 Likes

I found L’oven Fresh “keto friendly wheat bread”. It’s available from Aldi (from instacart). It has 35 calories per 28g slice of bread, or 35*14 = 490 calories per entire bread package (which is MUCH lower than Arnold’s “keto” bread at 60 calories per 28g slice)

Still has soybean oil, but only 1g per slice (unlike 2g from Arnold’s) which is a very small total amount of soybean oil.

When I’m hungry/stressed/sad, I can overeat, so it helps if I can “overeat” 2 packages and when “overeating 2 entire packages” is still less than 1000 calories and can possibly make me full for a while. I’ll see. I drank 2 entire boxes of almond milk yesterday and sometimes K/O’d myself with how much I drank (coffee is an appetite suppressant and I forgot to drink some, but I cannot drink coffee every day)

I’ve seen the keto “unbun” and other keto bread at Whole Food’s but those breads are v. expensive.

==
Fuck, I finally put my CGM on for the first time after eating 2 entire boxes of this bread and it shows glucose of 196… Fuck… This frequently seems to happen after I put it on. Fuck, I wonder if that “modified wheat starch” is actually keto. Fuck I have to test this. It could also be where I put the CGM on (it seemed to touch more muscle) but seriously, what the fuck

https://www.quantifieddiabetes.com/2020/04/effect-of-food-ingredients-on-blood.html#comment-6634

Fuck I need to get another loaf and then REALLY test small slices on my BG to see if this shit is really what’s advertised. Fuck.

Fuck. I ate two entire “keto” breads this past week without testing… And and entire honeydew too

In the first two instances I noticed 4g net carbs and ate acarbose right after (I am less sure about the second instsnve). Just one tablet but it could have saved me. Not this time

An entire honeydew is only 359 calories. So that itself is not horrible

It’s the modified wheat starch keto bread… I should have been more careful damnit. I was always slightly sketched by it bc “modified wheat starch” but I fell in without testing bc I just wanted to try bread that much again

BG is down to 109 now so it’s not in danger range anymore but it could have been in danger range the past few hours goddamnit and I still feel lowkey traumatized by this ugh

Are you a diagnosed type 2 diabetic? I have acquaintances who were put on insulin because their glucose levels sometimes rose into the 170’s when they ate a great deal of of high glycemic carbs. Healthy people that I know couldn’t get their glucose level into the 190’s if they tried.

No but my glucose spikes tend to go down much more slowly than many people

I might have mild impaired glucose intolerance which could be a side effect of rapa

Ugh it bounced back and took several hours again into the 90s

I felt so frozen in terror

At least I didn’t have any more appetite for anything else

Uploading: Screenshot_20221230-223824.jpg…

BG stabilized at 80 for a long time, then peaked to 145(!!) after a meal of just 2 cucumbers, 4 tomatoes, and a few mushrooms. Still increasing. This is NOT something that should happen after 2 cucumbers + 4 tomatoes, wtf… empagliflozin did nothing to contain the rise

[the fall is quick though]

I recently did take 20mg of rapamycin+grapefruit, and then 10mg of rapamycin+grapefruit 5 days after. I wonder if this did it in.

So maybe the “keto bread” could still be partly keto, idk. “Modified wheat starch” sounds way more sketch than oat fiber. The only thing I can do is test again AND with lower doses (I have a tendency to overdose the first time I try things, it’s not great and caused two psychedelic nightmares [one that really wrecked an opportunity] - thank god I have tried all the major classes of psychedelics now so I feel little “impatience” to “try a new one”).

Ugh, every time I put the CGM on, something else surprises me. Thus I have to keep buying more CGMs til I stop getting surprised like this.

a youtube channel tests keto bread and finds some to rise BG just as much as regular bread… the FDA really did not do their due diligence here…

1 Like

Wow, those are massive doses of Rapa and close together. Don’t you get any side effects?

I’ve started taking 4+GFJ, then 6 hours later 1+GFJ. It actually worked last time and I’m doing it again. No side effects at all. It’s an attempt to get a little more AUC without side effects. Then I wait 2 weeks.

1 Like

Are you being monitored by a doctor? Why did you think it was okay to take 20mg of Rapamycin with GF juice?

1 Like

My BG levels are fine again now

I’m actually going to do a 180 and try keto for real. I have been drinking nothing but olive oil the past day (BG down to 70 but it took time) and feel smg dif (more crispy thoughtspace). I have been emotionally hurting a lot (also ruminating too much) + I have been really really hurting + and if keto can finally guarantee a clear headspace I am going to do it. B/c I have access to CGM it is easy for me to prevent glucose spikes.

Top 7 Exogenous Ketone Supplements (Based on Science) (they have a ketone ester as option #2 I’ll try that)

Plus I have little inhibition to buying tofu and shirataki noodles and olive tapenades and beyond meat.

Now that I have seen fruit/vegetable microplastic contamination full-on (see the full thread), now I suspect that going keto might be the best way to reduce microplastic exposure. Mushrooms, bok choy, and an instant pot => can make it possible to feel full in a relatively low amount of time.

This is all worth trying out, esp in the next few days… I would be fascinated to see BG readings with minimal increase

Also, while I would never cook fish myself - I admit that if eating fish when eating out is the only way to stay on keto when no other options are available, I might just do the thing (though only as last resort as I hate the taste). I suffer enough emotionally from my overactive DMN (+it wrecks my self-control) and if keto is the way out (and the only way to preserve my own self-control), I’ll do it.

In fact, if I have to convince a certain party that I have changed, eating fish might be proof that I am willing to make certain drastic (and convincing) changes. There are people concerned that I am “crazy”, and if keto is what makes me sane (given how it can emotionally stabilize), I will try it. The fact that I have a lot of past trauma/emotional pain only increases the probability mass on “me being crazy”. There is Konjac Jelly too. Gosh, it seems now easier to go on keto than it was in 2018. Like look at Vegetables | Is It Keto . Rapamycin might even synergize with keto…

And keto could solve BOTH my energy, emotional stability, and grace (“grace is control”) issues. Keto also means I may no longer be able to take rapamycin with grapefruit (tho maybe SMALL amounts of grapefruit…)

chard, watercress, endive, chicory, bok choy: Preventing Chronic Disease | Defining Powerhouse Fruits and Vegetables: A Nutrient Density Approach - CDC

I am finally getting oat fiber delivered today. It may work better than psyllium husk. ThinSlim breads are mostly oat fiber, in any case.

also finally convinced enough to try allulose

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1913042117

Oh, I am okay with egg consumption, btw. I don’t find eggs disgusting in the same way that I find other animal products disgusting.

Just discovered this Nutrients: Could You Be Getting Too Much of a Good Thing (from Supplements and Fortification)? | Optimising Nutrition

Today I fell to 96.8 lbs. Lots of olive oil yesterday plus early in the morning I did avocado, tofu, and beyond meat (all of this still took BG from 70 to 100)

Gonna try ketone esters, oat fiber, and nut milk… Am a bit concerned for nutritional deficiency on veg keto

Got the oat fiber - it’s MUCH easier to eat in than psyllium husk (like doesn’t clump together). Should not eat too much (though I know I eat loads of food filled with oat fiber) at once at first just to prevent digestive complications.

I DEFINITELY feel worse when my glucose goes below 70… It doesn’t take much to increase it (even tofu can increase it some)