Alcohol Consumption

Yes, in fact, I did watch. And from the nature of your reply, I suspect you may be a victim of biases yourself. A youtube video discussing three studies (though only one is the major argument. the author’s words: “A recent study sent shockwaves through the medical community.”) still does not displace the fact that many studies are faulty and non-repeatable. Meta-analyses are critical. Do these studies meet high standards? Did you read these studies? (Again, refer to Dr Attia’s work).

The overwhelming science is and has been in favor of moderate consumption. Let me give you a jump start on your homework:

Alcohol Consumption and Mortality From Coronary Heart Disease: An Updated Meta-Analysis of Cohort Studies - PMC.

1 Like

Peter even addresses the question himself here:

https://peterattia.supercast.com/feeds/Lri7jFT6S8kTimkpZ4apLPrR

I’ll summarise for you. Ethanol is a poison at all doses.

1 Like

Wishful thinking to the contrary " Ethanol is a poison at all doses." is a true statement.
I for one am sorry that is the case.

Every one of my co-workers and friends who were “moderate” drinkers who were my age or slightly younger is now dead. I do not presently have any friends or relatives who are 81 years or older.

2 Likes

Yes, Peter does talk about Alcohol consumption. From his advice, if you do consume spirits (he does) you should stick to only the highest quality products. I switched to his favored Tequila Clase Azul Reposado for that occasional shot.

Again, the important point here could not be better addressed by a careful read of his most highly regarded and widely referenced ‘Study of Studies’ series. And anecdotes are just that: anecdotes, (Charles).

And, If you get through that first HW above, I’ve got more for you…

2 Likes

Dude stop trying to teach your grandma to suck eggs.

Attia explains the flaws in the epidemiology in that podcast. For example, many people stop drinking because of underlying health issues.

That doesn’t detract from my argument. Nor does your colorful vitriol. Have a good day, Sir.

3 Likes

More new data on alcohol… two articles from the UK:

Related Paper:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)00847-9/fulltext

and:

A new study released today has linked drinking to brain changes and cognitive decline. In this blog,
@oldagepsych examines the latest evidence, what we know about drinking in later life and the link between alcohol consumption and dementia.

Testing the limits

Over the past five years, the story has continued to unfold. In 2017, a landmark paper found that drinking between seven and 14 units of alcohol a week was associated with a smaller brain size compared with non-drinkers; with poorer performance on memory tasks. This finding was replicated three years later, with the same association found with drinking below low-risk drink limits. You would think that was progress enough, but there’s more. Alcohol related dementia is now classified separately in the most recent version of the International Classification of Diseases. What is more, alcohol related dementia also differs from more common types of dementia in that it presents with frontal lobe damage earlier than more common forms of dementia such as Alzheimer’s Disease. In fact, by it’s very definition, calling it a dementia may be somewhat of a misnomer, in that abstinence may even partially reverse cognitive impairment.

Any old iron

We know that alcohol use– even in moderation – is associated with damage to areas of the brain key to cognitive function. The question is, are there mechanisms involved? This week, a study was published using UK Biobank data. It assessed just under 21,000 people aged 55 and over to assess the contribution of excess iron deposition in the brain to cognitive impairment. The study concluded that drinking seven units of alcohol weekly is associated with iron accumulation in the brain. Higher brain iron was, in turn linked to poorer cognitive performance. The lead author stated: “Iron accumulation could underlie alcohol-related cognitive decline”. But the jury is still out on these conclusions, as you will see from the commentary I provided on the study.

Full Study Here:

What did the researchers do and find

• In 20,965 participants in a United Kingdom cohort study, we explored relationships between self-reported alcohol consumption and brain iron levels, measured using magnetic resonance imaging.
  • We assessed the association of alcohol intake with blood and liver iron and cognitive measures associated with higher brain iron.
  • Alcohol consumption above 7 units (56 g) weekly was associated with markers of higher iron in the basal ganglia, which in turn associated with worse cognitive function.
  • These observational findings were further supported by analyses using genetic variants as proxies for alcohol consumption.

What do these findings mean

• These findings suggest that moderate alcohol consumption is associated with higher iron levels in the brain.
  • Brain iron accumulation represents a potential mechanism for alcohol-related cognitive decline.
  • Key limitations are that changes in myelin may also alter imaging markers and alcohol intake was self-reported. It is unclear how our findings generalize to other populations, particularly those which are more ethnically diverse and socioeconomically deprived.

This seems to tie into the discussion the PD Mangan (@PDM has written about where Iron is an issue in aging more generally. See Discussion: Rapamycin and Iron Levels

4 Likes

If alcohol causes an increase in all-cause mortality for young people and is a health hazard for young people, I find it hard to believe it has any health or life extension benefits for old people. I think most members of this forum are taking supplements that decrease CVR, and alcohol would be a poor choice to add to the list.

2 Likes

I read a paper on “how to interpret alcohol studies” and try to decipher between those that show any risk, and those that show reduced risk with moderate intake. Appears to be all reverse causation…those who drink a little, generally very health conscious, exercise, higher standard of living, education, travel in higher socio-economic circles, etc.

I am in the any alcohol is not good for you, have vastly reduced my intake over time.

3 Likes

But, there is more to life than life extension. And, I don’t believe people should live a Spartan lifestyle. If you enjoy a good drink now and then, do it.

2 Likes

Absolutely true, as many have stated earlier in this thread. I still drink socially, but have cut back dramatically any solo drinking at home. I don’t miss it.

4 Likes

I don’t drink at all now, but yes, I do miss it. Because of my age, I will not go back because even though I was never a heavy drinker, I think if I started again, I would probably drink more than is healthy.
A cold beer after mowing the lawn or at a barbecue: Yum
Whiskey on the rocks after a hards day’s work: Yum
A bottle of wine and a steak. Yum
FWIW, I quit drinking at about 35 years old.

4 Likes

From the study:

“Never drinkers appeared to have the lowest levels of brain iron. This is in keeping with our earlier work indicating there may be no safe level of alcohol consumption for brain health

I had done a deep dive on iron and cognitive/aging/CVD previous to landing on PD Mangan site/book, but it was his book that triggered the leap to proactive iron donation/dumping.

1 Like

I drink maybe 0.5-1 standard drink per year (yes, per year) and never at night.

Alcohol is a risk factor for way too many diseases in a dose-dependent fashion. There’s literally no safe level of alcohol.

There’s way too much evidence that it affects the quality of sleep. Getting sleep right is huge and non-negotiable.

Now if a patient comes to me and asks should I stop drinking even “moderate” amounts - that’s a personal decision based on risk tolerance.

https://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/noncommunicable-diseases/pages/news/news/2018/09/there-is-no-safe-level-of-alcohol,-new-study-confirms

3 Likes

I probably consume more as second hand alcohol inhalation from being in social settings.

2 Likes

There is a lot more to life than living a long time.

2 Likes

No judgment or anything but might I note there are other recreational drugs other than alcohol that have better safety profiles?

Personally, alcohol just makes me feel sleepy. No different than me taking THC when I was in Canada. I literally get sleepy. Doesn’t add to my quality of life at all. Dead serious.

I understand. I was once working with an Army EOD Sgt that his pals called “Tommy Two Beers” because it took two beers to put him to sleep. I live in a state where you can freely buy cannabis products for recreational use. To be sure I didn’t smoke or inhale any but I tried just about every THC, CBD, or combo product. Other than making me loopy and slightly dizzy, THC products did nothing for me. Oral CBD pills or oils did even less, whether swallowed or rubbed on.
I felt sorry for people who were waiting for it to be legal in hopes of easing their aches and pains. I do believe CBD oil is worthless except for the placebo effect. Though I know some local people who swear by it.

3 Likes

CBD needs more research but I suspect we may find some uses (ie nausea/sleep). A lot is very likely overblown. There is way too much variability with cannabinoids by individual (and age!)

My main concern would be CBD may have tons of drug-drug interactions when you look at the liver metabolism just off the bat.

3 Likes

Well when you say little to no effect on your sleep, a problem with caffeine is that it impacts your sleep still(unless you are fast metabolizer), but your body “adapts” to the feelings of not getting good sleep (this is more so for people who have been doing that for a long time). A lot of people are sleep deprived but may not notice it because they have been sleep deprived for a long time to the point where it feels “Normal”.
Just some food for thought.

2 Likes