Alcohol Consumption

Interested to know what quantities (if any) people are drinking?

I usually have a glass of Prosecco on New Year’s Eve but I’m otherwise teetotal.

For years people have used epidemiology studies to argue (justify!) that moderate drinking was better than abstinence. I was therefore pleased to see this video:

Is moderate alcohol heart-healthy? | Fact vs Myth - YouTube

1 Like

What does this have to do with Rapamycin, even thrice removed?

1 Like

Well - alcohol is a well known carcinogen, and rapamycin helps prevent cancer - so pretty closely tied I think…

Alcohol use is one of the most important preventable risk factors for cancer, along with tobacco use and excess body weight. Alcohol use accounts for about 6% of all cancers and 4% of all cancer deaths in the United States. Yet many people don’t know about the link between alcohol use and cancer.

2 Likes

A very big stretch. Dilutes what this site is supposed to be about.

I’m ok with a bit of a deviation like this… the site is all about living longer and healthier, with a primary focus on rapamycin obviously.

Rapamycin is likely not the only approach to healthy longevity, so its fine to hear occasionally about other things - supplements, other medications, etc. - as long as it doesn’t take over the forum.

13 Likes

Yes - I have tended towards this direction also - as study after study has called attention to the cancer risks of alcohol.

We used to get all these news stories about the resveratrol in wine… or how one drink a day is healthy… etc. But all of them turned out to be false and vastly overblown.

I’ve gone down in the past 10 years from drinks a couple of times a week - to now once or twice a month, or less.

And - a big thing I’ve noticed is how alcohol after or even with dinner, negatively impacts my sleep… If I have more than two drinks, my heart races and I can’t get to sleep for many hours after normal, and its a lousy sleep.

Global burden of cancer in 2020 attributable to alcohol consumption: a population-based study

Alcohol is one of the biggest risk factors for breast cancer

4 Likes

Here are the rates of cancer caused by alcohol worldwide in Males and Females… it ranges from about 5% to 40%… a pretty big piece of the total.

If we are moderate in weight (no diabetes), exercise regularly… and eat a healthy diet, then its likely Cancer and heart disease are the key risk factors that we face as we we age towards 100+. So - anything we can do to minimize risk of Cancer could make a big difference in our lifespan and healthspan…

From the above paper on the “Global Burden of Cancer”

4 Likes

My goodness what a mean spirited response. Just glance down the list of thread titles and you’ll see several that are related to diet (plus one related to where you live!) and not rapamycin.

If a thread doesn’t appeal to you try… not posting :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Agree with Brian.

The Oura ring really helps dissuade you from drinking. Even after one drink my resting HR goes up and HRV and sleep quality go down.

2 Likes

I have either 2 oz red wine or 3/4 oz whiskey about 5 times a week.

1 Like

My doc wants me at ZERO tolerance. I’ve definitely reduced intake every passing decade. I drink a glass or two of red wine once a week, abstain completely otherwise.

2 Likes

I drink a lot of wine, at least 2-3 glasses a day. I take a gram NAC before drinking, and a gram of BHT in the morning. Both help protect the liver (and avoid or moderate hangovers). I’ve been doing that for decades. My labs are all normal or good. I’m not recommending this as a lifestyle, but it has worked for me. (I learned about the BHT from Durk and Sandy Pearson’s book, “Life Extension,” back in the 70s. Been doing it ever since.)

I’m sure one area the alcohol has affected negatively is my sleep, so I’m probably going to start moderating it more.

5 Likes

TBT: I remember trying BHT after reading that classic (and mostly wrong) book. I don’t know about BHT, but most of the antioxidant prescriptions were influential and wrong. They are now cautionary tales of humility about our state of knowledge. I hope we don’t feel the same way about rapamycin 40 years from now.

3 Likes

As a former moderate beer and wine drinker, I don’t think stopping had any effect on my sleep.
The simple fact for me is the older I get (81) the harder it is to get 8 hrs of sleep. I mostly get 6 to 7 hours and that is with a sleep stack that includes melatonin, trazodone, and tryptophan. Rapamycin, which I take in the morning, has had no noticeable effect on my sleep. There is a lot more to life than simple life extension. I believe in moderation in all things. If stopping from drinking wine makes your life unpleasant I wouldn’t do it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t do anything else from that book I don’t think. But I’ve been doing the BHT the next morning for 50 years and it definitely moderates any hangover significantly.

Oh I don’t plan to stop but I think I’m going to moderate it a bit more than I do.

Would love to see all your liver enzyme markers. :wink:

A good life is not defined by liver enzyme markers.

1 Like

A long one might.

I am only interested in the impact of alcohol on the liver, and especially in the context of Rapamycin.

1 Like

Yeah, if you worry about all that stuff even a short life will seem very long.