Alan Green on Rapamycin Master Series | Lessons learned from over 1200 patients

Rapamycin podcast: In the second episode of “Rapamycin Master Series” I interview Dr Alan Green. Today he has clinical experience of more than 1200 patients who take Rapamycin and in this episode he will share the knowledge he has acquired in the field.

The Full Video:

In the future I will interview him again. If you think I have missed some questions just let me know. All feedback are welcome.

Here are some timestamps:

01:12 Longevity journey
07:49 Alan starts taking Rapamycin
17:59 Over 1200 patients
18:12 Risk for mouth sores
19:43 Risk for bacterial infection
32:20 Ease up dose or target dose directly
33:04 General dose regimes
34:01 Feedback on my dose regime
34:49 Handle mouth sores
36:50 When not to take Rapamycin
39:09 Best time to start Rapamycin
40:58 Dose differences between young and elderly
42:00 Alan’s dose regime
45:06 General dose regime for women and men
45:46 Calorie restriction as alternative
47:39 Protein restriction as additive
50:52 Typical Rapamycin patient
54:36 Most common Rapamycin question
56:24 Most common Rapamycin misconception
1:01:18 Dose difference between mice and humans
1:02:39 Longevity effect in humans
1:06:13 Slow down telomeres shortening
1:07:48 FDA and Rapamycin
1:13:04 Alan’s future projects
1:15:07 APOE4 and Rapamycin
1:17:51 Self data everyone should know

25 Likes

God info thanks im turning 40 this year, so good timing to start :grin:

2 Likes

I realize Rapa has helped him a great deal but he speaks like he’s 100 yrs old and I struggle to understand him.

6 Likes

Great interview! in my opinion start rapamycin at 25 or before 40 if you’re under 40, I wouldn’t wait until I hit 40 if I was in my 20s/30s. I’m probably a little bias as I’m 28 and taking it but I think once you’re fully developed which is usually at 25+ you should start. I would of started rapamycin at 25 if I had access at the time. I started at 27. Better late than never :slight_smile: the good news about rapamycin it seems to extend life even when taken at old age so never too late to start. My mom started at 52 and my younger sister plans to start once she hits 25 in a year and a half.

5 Likes

:+1: what was it that made you curious of taking the step into this intervention?

1 Like

The voice is something that is impacted by age. My dad had big problems with his voice. Wonder if there is something that can be done to prevent voice decline.

2 Likes

There can definitely be benefits in starting early as you say but we should not also forget that this is still unknown parts of what risks there are. My view is that the risks should not be higher than in organ transplant patient but we don’t know yet. So here everybody needs to do their own risk and benefit calculation. If I was in your age my calculation would have pointed on to try it out. Whats your view on the risk and benefit calculation?

3 Likes

Antiaging have always been a interest of mine last 15 years, so this seems alot more powerfull then my current regiment, adding rapa and acarbos seems like the two best addons one could take for best effect, so just need to get ahold of it. Waiting for my prescription from eu doctor since cistoms in Norway scan all mail and stop everything with pills and medisine from foreign countries, new law a few years back… but i will be 100% sure on the quality even if it costs me a few more bucks, and will use GF to cut the costswhen i ramp up to 5mg so i can just take one or two tablets a week, acarbos seems quite cheap in sweden so will use my eu script there for bouth :grin: just wish i had it already, ate to much unhealthy stuff during easter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Its worth the risk for me as I know if I don’t try anything it will be a miserable future ahead… I’m currently watching my grandma suffer the effects of aging and I dread that happening to me. As long as my blood tests and other tests are all fine, I’ll continue.

4 Likes

Risks of rapa are pretty well known, and so is aging, from 25+ IMO the risk-benefit calculation can be quite clear.

2 Likes

Ah nice, that you are from Norway! I’m from Sweden and I used also EU doctor. I got the prescription and went to my local pharmacy who gave the rapamycin to me for a price of 385 dollar for 100mg. But I guess it’s little bit different because Norway is not part of EU. Let me know how things goes!

2 Likes

But why did you choose rapamycin because there are lots of other longevity interventions. There are many things that can be implemented also before adding rapamycin to the stack.

2 Likes

How do you mean that “the risk-benefit calculation can be quite clear”. Can you elaborate little bit more on that?

2 Likes

Risks from rapamycin are pretty mild or can be mitigated with weekly dosing. For example, increase in lipids by 10-20% can be treated with a statin or other cholesterol-lowering treatment, those have also very few possible side effects.

Compare this with decline related to aging, those can be quite terrible and reduce quality of life - side effects from bad aging are severe.

If rapamycin is pretty mild with a longevity protocol, the risks are quite low IMO, but the benefit is high even if it is far from certain that rapa can aid in improving longevity & healthspan.

Hence the risk-benefits are quite clear to me.

At 25 I think the human body & brain is quite developed, and there are worse things than starting rapa at that age .

3 Likes

How do you view the unknown risks? Because it’s not yet certain what impact rapamycin will have long term. I think it’s important to be humble here even if we are convinced that it’s most likely no problems. For example we don’t yet have a single longevity study in humans when it comes to rapamycin. If we look at Joan Mannicks studies it was on Everolimus and not rapamycin and it was a very short study. This year and next year we will see more studies coming out. Like the PEARL trial, Matt Kaeberleins survey etc.

Things get even more complicated when we start adding more drugs to try to lower side effects. Like adding statins for improving the lipids or adding metformin or acarbose or something else for handling the glucose regulation. This reminds me of exercise which has a tons of side effects. If focus on too much on just lowering side effects that can lead that we loss the benefits of exercise or get even worse outcomes. So I think it’s important to point out that we are still in a early stage where we do lots of educated guesses and that it’s good to be humble.

5 Likes

On one side there is certainty of problems, on the other side there is a reduction of those problems and some uncertainty.

4 Likes

Why is 12mg/week ‘probably the maximum dose’?

What supports this conclusion?

Is he asserting that’s the maximum tolerable dose? The maximum dose, beyond which there is no added benefit?

Do we take it that he done an analysis of his 1200 patients and come to this conclusion?

Pretty sure there are participants here exceeding that level.

2 Likes

Probably it’s good to differentiate between the general public and the more advance individual practicers. For the general public the higher doses are generally resulting in a higher side effect profile. So my guess is that he has drawn this conclusion from his clinical experience but also on studies with higher doses versus lower. So I don’t think he means that 12mg/weekly is optimal. It’s just about the side effect profile and some individuals manage higher doses better than others.

3 Likes

You make decisions based on the information you have, not the one you don’t. And it’s impossible to know the long term risks of anything as that is not studied. No one is checking what medications are doing in 10 or 20 years, or longer in a proper trial. It’s practically impossible.

I suppose it would be possible to look at observational trials of long term rapamycin users, but then it would be hard to know what is caused by daily dosing of rapamycin and the transplantation itself.

3 Likes

I will admit that I haven’t listened to the interview with Dr. Green, but I was a patient and a disillusioned one at that. My initial consultation was hard to schedule but good enough. The problem with Dr. Green started when I tried to contact him again with a follow-up question and eventually a prescription refill request. I just never heard back from him on either front and I have to believe others have had similar issues. As such, I don’t know how well I’d believe any statements he makes about patient experiences being on Rapa as he’d actually have to follow up to have legitimate ones.

4 Likes