Ace Inhibitors and Rapamycin

Mikhail V. Blagosklonny writes:

“ACE inhibitors or ARB must be tested together with rapamycin in rats and mice I include ACE inhibitors (or ARB) in all versions of anti-aging cocktails (just one example).”

My question is does anyone in the Forum take an ACE inhibitor along with Rapamycin for longevity purposes and if so, which one and what dose?

Thanks

3 Likes

Yes - and what do the doctors say about combining these two, and the issue of higher blood pressure as a pre-existing condition prior to taking rapamycin? I have a friend in this situation and have not had time to dig deeply into this issue. Any help on this greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I’m wondering if I should take an ace inhibit as well. I’m 27 and already take rapamycin , and soon to add acarbose.

2 Likes

The ACE inhibitors have been out for a very long time and inhibit the production of angiotensin. Lisinopril was one of the first and was found to be very effective with minimal side effects except for an annoying cough. It was Very Widely prescribed ( sort of like statins are at present).
Unfortunately, several years ago, they were linked with an increased risk of lung cancer. This was further studied ,and indeed, the link seemed to hold up under further scrutiny. Granted, it’s not common. But still Lung Cancer.
The ARBs block angiotensin receptor sites, work well, and no cancer link.
Both classes of drugs cause decreased kidney excretion of potassium so they shouldn’t be used together and should only be prescribed under medical supervision. Not to be ordered from India.

6 Likes

And in the news today

The Hill: FDA recalls blood pressure medication over cancer risks.

4 Likes

This is scary! Very timely and thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Yes, I take Enalapril.
I used to get mine from Russia but, now that that avenue is closed I recently ordered from India.
Why do you suggest not order from India? Is it the nitrosamine danger?

Sorry, no, I was merely making the point that these drugs shouldn’t be self medicated and require careful medical supervision of kidney and electrolytes. Not for self prescribing.

4 Likes

More to my initial question.

When I asked my PCP about prescribing and Ace Inhibitor for longevity, her response was:

"My hesitation is the risk of polypharmacy as well as potential side effects. The “take a pill for a pill” effect…

ACEi/ARBs can cause a dry cough, dizziness, risk of angioedema as well as potassium disruption. Yes, they are great drugs to take when necessary. But given your lifestyle you are likely already naturally reducing the potentially damaging effect of angiotensin."

Your thoughts on my PCP’s reply and if I should challenge?

Thanks

Chris

4 Likes

I take 10-20mg lisinopril daily with 15mg rapa weekly and have done for over a year. I keep my BP around 110/70.

3 Likes

Did you have high blood pressure and hence your doc prescribed the lisinopril to you or are you taking it off label?

Bill Faloon of Life Extension has recommended Telmisartan which is an ARB, for a few years primarily for lowering blood pressure as opposed to it’s additional impressive health benefits. Maybe 3 years ago, I was at the cardiologist and my systolic blood pressure was in the low 130’s (considered by most doctors as normal or high normal). I already knew that Bill Faloon recommends 115/75 so I wanted to go on Telemisartan. I told the doctor that I wanted to go on medication and I knew which drug I wanted. Done deal, and I’ve been on it ever since. ITP is testing or going to test the combination of Telemisartan with atorvastatin to see if there is a life extension benefit. If interested, lifeextension.com has some Telemisartan articles worth reading.

1 Like

Thanks for this info. You experience any side effects from this medication and what dose you taking?

No side effects that I’m aware of. I take 40mg daily at bedtime.

my doc prescribed lisinopril (prob about 10 year ago) for bp. I wanted the mg to be low so I’m down to 5mg. If I stop it, my bp gets bad - over 150/90 is too much for my comfort. It’s not working perfectly, my bp averages 130/85 but I think I’m ok with that as my doc seems to be. I self prescribe rapamycin and am very happy with it. I don’t notice any real combined effect. The rapa has seemed to up my bp just a tiny tiny bit. But I’m a pretty big fan of rapamycin.

I take Telmisartan as well, 80 mg., as recommended by Life Extension. I was advised before starting Rapamycin trial there could be side effects. I have had no side affects, but then I could be on a placebo. I am thinking I am on the Rapa. Will see in a year.

2 Likes

FWIW

Best Drug To Treat Hypertension

“The side benefits of this drug include improved insulin sensitivity, enhanced mitochondrial activity, and better endothelial function.” ⁵–¹²

2 Likes

Welcome, as I see you just joined. You’ll see that there is a lot of very knowledgeable people posting here. I’m not referring to myself as I’m more of an innocent bystander. Interesting that you’re the first person I’ve encountered who is on Telemisartan besides myself.

2 Likes

Yes. Re Telmisartan : Been on for a couple years. Have subscribed to Life Extension for years.

Enalapril significantly increased the LS of rats.
It has several benefits over and above reducing BP.
I used to take Losartan one day and Enalapril the next. (Not good taken together.) My doctor nearly had kittens when I told him. Later, I developed the cough. I suspected Enalapril as it is usually the ACEi that cause it. But when I stopped the Losartan, the cough stopped too. So now I’m on 5mg Enalapril per evening. My morning BP is around 110/70. If I miss the Enalapril, it’s about 135/75, which is borderline hypertension. So I think I’m on the right track.
I think that inhibition of the Renin-Angiotensin system becomes very important as we age. It seems to be a “node” for so many age-related conditions.