Acarbose - Details On Another Top Anti-Aging Drug

Looks like artisanal apple vinegar also inhibits glucosidase and amylase.

Table 4

α-glucosidase and α-amylase inhibitory activities of artisanal and industrial apple vinegar.

Samples α-Amylase IC50 (µg/mL) α-Glucosidase IC50 (µg/mL)
AAV 16.32 ± 0.01 156.53 ± 0.07 ***
IAV 152.86 ± 0.06 4024.28 ± 5.12 ***
Acarbose 35.42 ± 1.00 1100 ± 1.00

Note the IC values for artisanal apple vinegar are lower than acarbose. (16.32 versus 35.42 for amylase, and 156.53 versus 1100 for glucosidase.).

5 Likes

That might explain the anti-aging benefit of some substances like coffee, tea (polyphenols), and reuteri yogurt (aside from oxytocin).

A Review of Nutrients and Compounds, Which Promote or Inhibit Intestinal Iron Absorption: Making a Platform for Dietary Measures That Can Reduce Iron Uptake in Patients with Genetic Haemochromatosis - PMC.

The most important promoters of iron absorption in foods are ascorbic acid, lactic acid (produced by fermentation), meat factors in animal meat, the presence of heme iron, and alcohol which stimulate iron uptake by inhibition of hepcidin expression. The most important inhibitors of iron uptake are phytic acid/phytates, polyphenols/tannins, proteins from soya beans, milk, eggs, and calcium. Oxalic acid/oxalate does not seem to influence iron uptake. Turmeric/curcumin may stimulate iron uptake through a decrease in hepcidin expression and inhibit uptake by complex formation with iron, but the net effect has not been clarified.

1 Like

Wanted to follow up one last time (I hope these updates aren’t boring anyone). I am now up to 100 mg acarbose per meal (I’ve titrated slowly to this from 25 mg per meal over a 3 week period). I am also on Canagliflozin 100 mg each morning. To test how these two are doing I went on an all out feeding frenzy over the long weekend. I noticed greatly attenuated glucose spikes and very little in the way of gas or GI discomfort. I’m very pleased with the combination. My wife is also on the combination and she has noticed a weight loss of 10 lbs so far.

7 Likes

Can you tell me where you are getting your acarbose from?

I was looking at agelessRx but the cost is 24 pills for $75. Seems high to me.

1 Like

Sorry for asking about the acarbose. You have a great price but I need to get a prescription from somebody.

Can you tell me where to accomplish that feat?

1 Like

Same places that you get a rapamycin prescription or online pharmcies: How to Get Rapamycin, Where to get a Prescription

2 Likes

No apology necessary, I am an open book. I actually go to an “Anti-Aging” doctor who is willing to let my wife and I experiment as an N of 2. He then tracks our individual results and uses them as kind of a guidance for his other patients. So, I shoved a couple of acarbose studies in front of his face and asked him to write it. Insurance covered every nickel even though neither of us have glucose issues. Prior to him writing the script, I got them at buy-pharma.md. That’s also where I get my Canaglaflozin. I’m going to be approaching my doc about that next… :smirk: And, even though you didn’t ask, I get my Rapa from India. I have a supplier I’ve been using there that has been very reliable.

2 Likes

I buy Acarbose from India from the same supplier that I get most of my rapamycin from.
Jagdish Nikose. The brand is Bayer Glucobay 50 mg tablets the price is $26.40 plus shipping for 120, 50mg tablets.
The pictures below show what I have received. My farts tell me it’s the real deal :laughing:

5 Likes

Thank you!

I emailed them through the Niba Healthcare contact page.

IndiaMart is fantastic. I am in contact with NIBA Healthcare and will probably do the transaction on the 3rd of the month.

If you use Wise, I would suggest that you use R L Pharma as the recipient and Jagdish Nikose as the account holder. NIBA is one of Jagdish’s accounts names. The last time I used NIBA as the recipient, Wise rejected the transfer.

2 Likes

I have been wondering how I am going to pay for this now. I do not have a lot of cash in my checking account after I pay my credit card bills. I have credit cards to pay for it and I’d feel better using credit cards. I must have 10 sellers that have emailed me. I need to go through them and find out who can take a credit card.

If my Drs really cared about what I wanted they would have written the prescriptions for semaglutide and acarbose for me. They declared me obese and diabetic given test results and body weight. They put me on Jardiance…then I worked to drop 35lbs, but I’m still obese, fat, and overweight, but after they saw the number of supplements that I am taking they threatened to take me off of Jardiance. I did not think the supplement list would generate a negative response. I think I need a new set of Drs! This is all rather unfortunate. I absolutely CANNOT walk 5 miles a day, exercise, and not eat to lose the last 35lbs that I need to lose to be at a healthy weight.

Medicine 2.0 is a very tightly controlled closed system. Patients are not allowed to think and act on their own.

Hi - just an FYI (for your information), … none of the indian online pharmacies will accept a credit card payment. Occasionally, for short periods of time, they may support Paypal, but paypal doesn’t allow payment for pharmacy products (I suspect) so they frequently get shut down. You have to use some sort of money transfer … or bank transfer.

1 Like

My suggestion is to use a seller that accepts IndiaMart payments.
You can ask Jagdish Nikose if he accepts payments through IndiaMART. I think he does.
If so, you can pay with most credit cards through IndiaMART but it will cost a little bit more than direct payment.
Not, medical advice, but if it were me, I would definitely change docs. It has been my experience that telling my doctor about any supplements has mostly elicited a negative response.

3 Likes

It’s interesting that AAV (artisanal apple vinegar) might inhibit these enzymes, but I’m skeptical that their in vitro studies predict in vivo activity. They don’t seem to be controlling for acidity, as far as I can tell. Is this just an acid inhibiting an enzyme and would we expect vinegar to really reach the intestines or does it get buffered and absorbed at the stomach?

2 Likes

Looks like it’s any type of vinegar.

http://www.ukm.edu.my/jsm/pdf_files/SM-PDF-52-3-2023/9.pdf

Inhibitory Effects of Nipa Palm Vinegar on the Carbohydrate Hydrolysing Enzymes

The above had an in vitro, and a mouse study arm.

Below is a comparison of different types of vinegar. But it is in vitro.

Comparison of α-amylase, α-glucosidase and lipase inhibitory activity of
different types of vinegar

From the “Inhibitory Effects of Nipa Palm Vinegar on the Carbohydrate Hydrolysing Enzymes” paper:

The dose of vinegar used in the study was selected based on the reported daily intake of vinegar (0.08 mL/kg body weight equal to 1 tablespoon of vinegar per day (Mohamad et al. 2015) and the highest dose of 2 mL/kg body weight, as suggested by the previous study (Beh et al. 2017).

Nipa palm vinegar (NPV) at the dose of 1 [ml/kg] BW and 2 [ml/kg] B W significantly suppressed postprandial blood glucose levels compared to the negative control (NC) in the oral starch tolerance test

(I corrected their units in the above quote, as they had a typo).

So 1 tablespoon didn’t have significant effects, but 12.5 tablespoons did. Seems like a lot of vinegar. Acarbose is almost certainly safer than large amounts of vinegar for repeated use. Though a little vinegar and oil on a salad early in a meal seems like a positive thing.

2 Likes

The subjects were Sprague-Dawley rats. Dose conversion to humans is to divide by 6.2.= (Table 1)

So 12.5 divided by 6.2 is about two tablespoons per day.

1 Like

I do drug development and spend a lot of time interpreting preclinical pharmacology. Rules like that aren’t really accurate though they are occasionally better than nothing. In this case, I expect we would not need to do dose conversion because the target is gut enzymes. The factors that give rise to big interspecies differences, like smaller animals having faster circulations and proportionally larger livers, don’t really come into play here.

4 Likes

Ah - great to have a well-informed person in this area on the forums. Welcome and thanks for sharing your expertise.

3 Likes