A Friendly Biological Age Reduction Competition?

Was this from the paper you post?

Which lab?

Are you measuring serum level or inside{intracellular] RBC level?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5637834/#:~:text=The%20biologic%20half-life%20of,42%20days)%20%5B11%5D.
“The biologic half-life of Mg in the body is about 1000 hours (42 days) [11].”

I use Quest Labs and normally get a script from Ulta Labs.
I have never had a magnesium test, but I may get one in the future for curiosity’s sake.

1 Like

That was one of my first concerns after starting rapamycin at high doses. My age reduction using the Levine spreadsheet almost disappeared. However, the age reduction delta using the Aging.ai calculator didn’t change as much. The Aging.ai calculator does not use, age or CRP in its calculations. It does use more parameters and has a larger database than the Levine calculator.

Having said that, I don’t think any of the calculators are very accurate at this point.
I use them along with my blood test results as a marker of how well I may be slowing down the aging process.

When I reduced my rapamycin dosage to 5 mg per week my age reduction results improved to the point that they were before taking rapamycin.

1 Like

I thought I would look at how the figure of 1000 hours was generated. I therefore got a copy of reference paper 11.

That looked at an isotope of Magnesium with 28 neutrons and protons rather than the usual 24. (12 neutrons/12 protons) Mg28 has a half life itself of 21.2 hours so the original study could not be certain.

Furthermore they were running a multicompartmental study.

Magnesium when it comes to processing is not like Aspirin or Rapamycin. Bodies without medication with Aspriin or Rapamycin have either none or infinitesimal amounts

On the other hand Magnesium is a normal part of metabolism. As the ion is generally soluble it will to some extent wash out with urine if there is an excess. The kidneys bring higher Mg levels back to normal within a few hours. However, that won’t look like a half life because the Mg continues to be in the body at a reasonably high level.

Sometimes I take a lot of magnesium, but my weekly serum results (not all labs test for Mg) are in the range 0.75 to 1.05. (mmol/l)

What do you think the half-life of a supplement such as magnesium glycinate is?

I would assume it would dissolve prettty quickly into a magnesium ion and a glycinate ion. The magnesium would either top up serum levels or get urinated out. Glycine would be metabolised as glycine. Although people may be short of glycine it is still something quite common.

More good news on Biological Age calculations:

Biological age is superior to chronological age in predicting hospital mortality of the critically ill

Biological age is increasingly recognized as being more accurate than chronological age in determining chronic health outcomes. This study assessed whether biological age, assessed on intensive care unit (ICU) admission, can predict hospital mortality. This retrospective cohort study, conducted in a tertiary multidisciplinary ICU in Western Australia, used the Levine PhenoAge model to estimate each patient’s biological age (also called PhenoAge). Each patient’s PhenoAge was calibrated to generate a regression residual which was equivalent to biological age unexplained by chronological age in the local context. PhenoAgeAccel was a dichotomized measure of the residuals, and its presence suggested that one was biologically older than the corresponding chronological age. Of the 2950 critically ill adult patients analyzed, 291 died (9.9%) before hospital discharge. Both PhenoAge and its residuals (after regressing on chronological age) had a significantly better ability to differentiate between hospital survivors and non-survivors than chronological age (area under the receiver-operating-characteristic curve 0.648 and 0.654 vs. 0.547 respectively). Being phenotypically older than one’s chronological age was associated with an increased risk of mortality (PhenoAgeAccel hazard ratio [HR] 1.997, 95% confidence interval [CI] 1.568–2.542; p = 0.001) in a dose-related fashion and did not reach a plateau until at least a 20-year gap. This adverse association remained significant (adjusted HR 1.386, 95% CI 1.077–1.784; p = 0.011) after adjusted for severity of acute illness and comorbidities. PhenoAgeAccel was more prevalent among those with pre-existing chronic cardiovascular disease, end-stage renal failure, cirrhosis, immune disease, diabetes mellitus, or those treated with immunosuppressive therapy. Being phenotypically older than one’s chronological age was more common among those with comorbidities, and this was associated with an increased risk of mortality in a dose-related fashion in the critically ill that was not fully explained by comorbidities and severity of acute illness.

Open Access Paper:

4 Likes

@RapAdmin Did this competition ever come to life?

1 Like

Not yet - but feel free to post your results. Slowly I hope we are able to build participation.

1 Like

Does anyone know about studies of biological age in superagers?

1 Like

That is a great question… would be very interesting to follow the biological age of superagers over time (i.e. anyone over 105).

Must be some studies already! Or everyone is afraid to investigate.

Nir Barzilai is known for studies on long lived people and their offspring. I’d look there.

1 Like

See recent Attia AMA on this topic

Basically - no need to test as the nearly to risks with magnesium specifically is extremely in the favor of better err on side of getting a bit too much, while at the same time tests (outside of a research setting) are not really all to helpful.

2 Likes

There were also some epigentic age tests done in centenarians and discussed somewhere on the forum I think

I was reading Greger’s “How not to age” very large preview on Google Books where he said in the Epigenetics section that some 105-year old looks like a 60-year old in terms of methylation. (reference 604 of 13,000)
All these references are here: How Not to Age Citations
#604: Decreased epigenetic age of PBMCs from Italian semi-supercentenarians and their offspring - PubMed
( Decreased epigenetic age of PBMCs from Italian semi-supercentenarians and their offspring)

6 Likes

Thank you for the article! I reviewed the referenced publications and they have opposing data. Looks like many scientists have been investigating the centenarians biological ageing at this time which makes a lot of sense.

My pre-rapamycin/acarbose result on PhenoAge via AgelessRx website. Pretty kind to me.

4 Likes

I would like to participate in the “friendly competition” for greatest age reduction. How will this be administered? Here in this public forum or offline?
Thanks,
Stephen

1 Like

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

We haven’t had a ton of interest in this… so right now, just post your “pre and post” rapamycin treatment results in this thread, and see where you stand in the general results: Impressive Biological Age Reductions with Rapamycin (anecdotal)

1 Like