70 is the new 30? Inspiring Stories of Healthy Longevity

Yeah, I’ve seen it before. Mike is testimony to the power of a whole food plant based diet :+1:

Super inspiring stuff. But also the fact that existence of people like this leaves people in amazement speaks to how incredibly rare it is.

3 Likes

For now, at least :smile: . I suspect many of the people visiting here will be even more successful than these people over the next 50 years, in maintaining their health.

6 Likes

And yet, the life expectancy of the average American is dropping yet again.

Here’s to those of you on this forum who will live far longer than average!

P.S. I’m not sure if you want to raise up the members of Rolling Stone as paragons of health and longevity as in the article!

2 Likes

And a little humor, “Never give up, no matter what your age…”

5 Likes

France: meet 105-year-old Robert Marchand, the centenarian cyclist chasing a new record

2 Likes

Man, 100, Loves Gym Workouts, Exercises Every Day For Longevity.

“I don’t feel like going now that I’m 100, but I still go. I know that it’s necessary if I want to enjoy life. Most people at 100 no longer enjoy life. My days are just as normal as when I was 30,” Savino, who lives independently in Hanover, Pennsylvania, tells TODAY.com.

“Exercise is much better than medicine… A lot of people just live on pills, but I don’t. I take pills for high blood pressure and that’s the extent of it.”

2 Likes

It truly is a heartwarming article. I want to be just like him when I am 110. :wink:

3 Likes
2 Likes

This part made me stop and think about how far we have come…

Dr Catherine Rickwood, age diversity consultant and advocate, is worried that the perception of people in their 60s and 70s, by both them and others, is still “informed by a retirement age that was established at the end of the 1800s.” At the time of enacting the first national old age pension in 1908, life expectancy for males was 55 years, females 59 years, and a little over 4% of Australians reached the national pension eligibility age of 65 (or 60 for women).

Today, the life expectancy of Australians is 81 years for males, 85 years for females. While last year the age for pension eligibility was revised upward to 67, currently 16% of the population is aged 65 and over and by 2050, it is estimated this figure will be 25%. That’s a lot of people in retirement.

How many of us would be dead by now if we lived in the early twentieth century?

In 100 years, people are now living 26 years longer! I hope we can keep that rate up. I’d like the average age to be 107 by the time I die at 150! :wink:

5 Likes

If this 57 year old guy isn’t on rapamycin yet, he should be.

Perhaps one of our members in Singapore needs to send him some so he can become the new rapamycin poster child … :grinning:

He looks executive-like in Calvin Klein shirt, Topman trousers and Cole Haan shoes without socks. Up close, he really can pass off as someone in his 20s. For one thing, his complexion is flawless. His skin is firm and blemish-free and I see no shadows under his deep-set eyes although he had a late night. And, I can vouch, he doesn’t use foundation either.

He does have laugh lines around his eyes and frown lines. The Ray-Ban frame he sports, which gives him a Clark Kent look, isn’t so much a fashion accessory as reading glasses for his presbyopia.
But his teeth are very white and his full head of hair is black.

Do you dye it, I ask.

Yes, he replies without hesitation, and also his moustache and goatee because he does have greying strands. “I think salt and pepper is quite cool but it’s not there yet,” he says. “It’s just a little bit here and there – not nice.”

His skincare routine is simple, he says when I probe. He doesn’t use many products because his skin is sensitive.

Have you had any procedures done? He says he tried Botox once around his eyes but didn’t like the result and hasn’t done it again.

As for his physique, he’s a strong believer that diet is very important. “You are what you eat,” he says, and abides by the theory that how your body looks is 70 per cent due to the food you consume, and 30 per cent about exercise.

“You wouldn’t want to look like a hamburger, right? I would rather look like a mean, lean chicken breast”, is how he puts it.

He doesn’t diet but tries to eat healthily. For protein, he goes for eggs, chicken and fish in soup. He eats rice but not that much. He avoids coffee and tea but drinks plenty of water, and he does not smoke or take alcohol.

And if you must know about his exercise routine, a good week would see him at the gym five times, for a maximum of an hour and a half each, but he often manages with just three sessions a week. He doesn’t run because of a knee injury but does speed walking on the treadmill, and he swims.

And his instagram:

Twitter / X

https://twitter.com/Chuando_Tan

5 Likes

Haha - love it :joy: Yeah, he needs to get on the Rapa asap!

3 Likes

Hahaha… wow! Nice guy. Enjoyed his interview. Rapamycin would likely do him well.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Just saw this… another great example of what great shape people can be at any age:

2 Likes

These are six daily practices that Maroon implemented in his life after age 40, and he still does them everyday:

1. Eat a Mediterranean diet. Maroon’s diet consists of mostly fruits and vegetables with chicken and fish occasionally. He rarely eats red meat.
  2. Exercise regularly. Maroon dedicates an hour per day to his exercise routine, six days a week.
  3. Abstain from smoking, drinking and taking non-prescription drugs.
  4. Keep your stress levels low. One way Maroon reduces stress is by balancing his values. He makes sure that he spends equal time on work, family/friends, spirituality and physical activity each day.
  5. Get adequate sleep. Maroon sleeps 6 and half to 7 and half hours each night.
  6. Takes supplements like Omega 3 fatty acids which Maroon takes for brain health and reduced inflammation. He also takes magnesium to balance his workouts and glyteine, which he believes may reduce chances of developing Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s. You should consult with your doctor and do extensive research before adding any supplements to your diet.
2 Likes

He seems a lot more reasonable than Nick Norwitz.

1 Like

I need to start training harder…

World’s oldest Ironman | 87-year-old Inada prepares for next year’s championship

3 Likes