70 is the new 30? Inspiring Stories of Healthy Longevity

This guy makes it seem likely that 70 truly is the new 30 (or will soon be), without much hyperbole…

If Stephen Hyland is not yet taking rapamycin, someone should send him some as a gift :smiley:

I find it amazing that a 70 year old can, in some significant ways, be in better physical condition than a 26 year old olympic-level gymnast.

With rapamycin, it seems that this sort of situation could become much more common.

Here is Stephen Hyland’s instagram account:

and his YouTube channel:

4 Likes

My childhood gymnastics coach (now 74 years old and formerly one of the leaders of FIG) had this to say about the above video when I sent it to him:

But this guy is nowhere near the oldest gymnast. I competed at the German Turnfest in Berlin in 2017 and there were competitors up to age 94. Those competing in the 70-80 age groups can do what he does. In 2017 when I was 70 I still did a kip on high bar and a back & front tuck on trampoline but have not tried since. I can do those things he calls superman pushups, etc. and that shoulder stand that looks like his head is in a toilet is easy but looks impressive, same with hanging from the knees on the trapeze thing especially since there is a safety belt.

So, I am impressed but not super impressed. Quite a few of those I have known over the decades occasionally post stuff - back full on trampoline for George Hery age 82; giant swing for Bruno Klaus age 80 and on and on.

But he obviously likes promoting himself and hopefully it will motivate others to keep in shape or get in shape. So good on him.

I plan to compete in Germany again at the end of May.

People here may also want to compete in Turnfest: https://www.turnfest.de

And he’s right - lots of people very active and in great shape into their 90s, as these videos below show:

and

As others have pointed out, we’re going to need the Centenarian Olympics soon!

3 Likes

Wow, his skin looks young too.
I think the exercise benefit is on whole body, not just on the muscle, that’s amazing and inspiring

3 Likes

What an inspiration to us all. And what, no pharma or supplements?

Physical fitness…cardio AND muscular is the ONLY PROVEN lifespan extension in humans.

Everything else is simply conjecture, hope and wishful thinking.

4 Likes

FWIW…

“If you wait until you are ready, it is almost certainly too late.” ~ Seth Godin

2 Likes

Perhaps you haven’t seen any of my other postings where I discuss my significant interventions, including Rapamycin, radical diet, fasting, supplements. I am throwing everything at it, like a lot of us! You’ll have to check in with me in 20 yrs, I’ll let you know how it worked out.

4 Likes

A lot of these amazingly fit people at a old age all seem to be very disciplined in exercise approach.

1 Like

one note on all of this: being fit is unlikely to cause one to live to 100 or longer. There is no doubt it will increase healthspan and cut the odds of some chronic diseases that cut life short, but it will not extend lifespan to 100 or beyond without interventions like rapa. On the other hand, one could probably be active but not highly athletic and still achieve 100 years of age via rapa and other therapies.

8 Likes

Agree - exercise / fitness is probably great for healthspan, but unlikely to increase maximum lifespan (at least at a population level). Thus - I expect the perfect combination is exercise / fitness and rapamycin (and other drugs / supplements) - for longest possible healthspan and life extension.

2 Likes

This study seems to sum it up:

Conclusion Muscle-strengthening activities were inversely associated with the risk of all-cause mortality and major non-communicable diseases including CVD, total cancer, diabetes and lung cancer; however, the influence of a higher volume of muscle-strengthening activities on all-cause mortality, CVD and total cancer is unclear when considering the observed J-shaped associations.

3 Likes

I think the volume of resistance training necessary to retain ‘functional’ strength is surprisingly low. Here’s an anecdote to illustrate:

As a cyclist I have historically paid little attention to upper body strength. Recently I decided I should try and address that. The ‘program’ is a SINGLE set of press ups on a Monday and Thursday. Starting at 20 repetitions I added one repetition per session. When I hit 50 I started wearing a 10kg weights vest and reset back to 20. I’m now on 44 with the vest. There has not been a single session where I failed to increase the reps. I now plan to do something similar with inverted rows (pull ups wouldn’t permit the high reps)

6 Likes

And cardio delivers even greater all cause mortality risk reduction…on top of strength/resistance benefits?

This is a great, large population study that followed persons who underwent a standard cardio stress test at midlife, followed until death. Having a high V02 max capability is massively life extending!

Mice only die of cancer, and Rapamycin (other drugs) delay this event. Exercise has myriads of anti-cancer pathways, some of which are unrelated to mTOR. So my philosophy is to overlay and combine Rapamycin with any and all these positive association interventions (high exercise/strict keto/fasting/low iron are some of my other fundamental system wide cellular hacks) to push down all cause mortality to lowest possible, which includes risks of CVD, neuro-cognitive.

3 Likes

Keto compromises aerobic performance especially above FTP. It effectively lowers VO2 max… ergo one might argue it is sub optimal for longevity. Certainly Matt K’s paper on anti aging diets suggests no benefit.

1 Like

What is FTP? I come from the Internet world where it stands for “File Transfer Protocol” - but I’m assuming that’s not what you mean :wink:

1 Like

I think it is Functional Threshold Power, see; What Is Functional Threshold Power? | TrainingPeaks

1 Like

Yes this.

Most cyclists do some kind of FTP test (or proxy) as that allows you to more accurately determine training zones and measure TSS (training stress score) and CTL (chronic training load)…

TSS for example = Duration/60 x %FTP^2 x 100

Eg. 1 hour at 80% = 1x0.8^2x100=64

1 Like

There have been many keto/endurance/VO2 max studies, and it appears for truly elite athletes, there may be some “reduction”, but you can still be an elite cardio athlete on keto. I’ve been strict keto/OMAD (one meal a day) for 5 yrs. My 10k and half marathon times keep dropping. On the treadmill, I can be at 150bpm easily breathing only through my nose. Keto hasn’t stopped me at all from being in a high percentile V02max cohort to benefit from the cardio respiratory fitness volume. And when I do run races, I do fuel up, typically non keto. But my normal daily 5k run, I run on a completely empty tank in the late afternoon before my single meal dinner.

I started keto for neuro-cognitive benefit initially. As we age, our brains slowly loose the ability to process glucose, and this blunting causes loss on brain volume, especially the hippocampus (so does elevated glucose levels, diabetes, etc). Ketones bypass the GLUT transporter in the brain, and flow unimpeded into the mitochondria, thus providing the brain with an alternate, and much cleaner (ROS) fuel. Ketones also boost neuro-bioenergenesis, creation of new connection pathways in the brain (again, ancestrally preserved pathway during periods of extended fasting/famine as we evolved). Ketones also massively reduce inflammation. And there are many other systemic benefit pathways, including anti-CVD and anti-cancer (cancer needs glucose and insulin, hates ketones).

The point being, I don’t know if Rapamycin or another pharma will impact these neuro-pathways, and since it’s all about reducing ALL CAUSES mortality (one of these is going to get us all), I am fighting on all fronts.

6 Likes

Your n=1 is irrelevant. I can tell you CATEGORICALLY that Keto is detrimental to endurance performance. All World records, at all distances, in all endurance sports have been achieved by athletes who consume carbohydrate ‘normally’ (or typically in excess of the norm).

This clip covers some of the literature: The Problem With GCN's Take on the Ketogenic Diet - YouTube

3 Likes

Not disputing. Achieving world records is not my point you are missing. Sorry if not articulating clearly.

I can easily be keto as lay person and be at very high V02max to achieve the longevity benefits proven in humans.

4 Likes

What do you define as a high VO2 max?

There are no proven longevity benefits of Keto in humans.

1 Like