70 is the new 30? Inspiring Stories of Healthy Longevity

What I hope to be doing in my 70s and 80s (though with friends, not solo):

Will Steger says, “Expeditions have kept me young.” This spring, at the age of 77, he set off on another two-month solo canoe-sled trip above the Arctic Circle.

2 Likes
5 Likes

This year’s London marathon will have record numbers of veteran participants, with a near-doubling of the number of female runners aged 60 to 69 registering to run since 2018. As the number of veteran runners has steadily increased, performance has improved at a staggering rate.

In May, Jo Schoonbroodt, a 71-year-old from Maastricht nicknamed “the Grey Kenyan”, broke the over-70s record with a time of 2hr 54min 19sec. Last year, the Japanese runner, Mariko Yugeta, took the female over-60s record down to 2hr 52min 1sec, faster than the overall men’s world record in 1909.

2 Likes

Why I think Rapamycin will turbocharge this trend of people pushing the athletic limits at older ages: Imagine all the people identified in this thread exercising as they have been, but also taking rapamycin…

Rapamycin increases grip strength and attenuates age-related decline in maximal running distance in old low capacity runner rats

5 Likes

76 year old grandmother:

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/Mangan150/status/1581270765567033344?s=20&t=zWPcYRXtWP32e3WD8e8Npg

5 Likes

Still running at age 100

There was a good interview with Mike Fremont on the RichRoll podcast:

1 Like

Don’t see too much inevitable sarcopenia going on there.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen it before. Mike is testimony to the power of a whole food plant based diet :+1:

Super inspiring stuff. But also the fact that existence of people like this leaves people in amazement speaks to how incredibly rare it is.

3 Likes

For now, at least :smile: . I suspect many of the people visiting here will be even more successful than these people over the next 50 years, in maintaining their health.

7 Likes

And yet, the life expectancy of the average American is dropping yet again.

Here’s to those of you on this forum who will live far longer than average!

P.S. I’m not sure if you want to raise up the members of Rolling Stone as paragons of health and longevity as in the article!

2 Likes

And a little humor, “Never give up, no matter what your age…”

6 Likes

France: meet 105-year-old Robert Marchand, the centenarian cyclist chasing a new record

3 Likes

Man, 100, Loves Gym Workouts, Exercises Every Day For Longevity.

“I don’t feel like going now that I’m 100, but I still go. I know that it’s necessary if I want to enjoy life. Most people at 100 no longer enjoy life. My days are just as normal as when I was 30,” Savino, who lives independently in Hanover, Pennsylvania, tells TODAY.com.

“Exercise is much better than medicine… A lot of people just live on pills, but I don’t. I take pills for high blood pressure and that’s the extent of it.”

3 Likes

It truly is a heartwarming article. I want to be just like him when I am 110. :wink:

3 Likes
2 Likes

This part made me stop and think about how far we have come…

Dr Catherine Rickwood, age diversity consultant and advocate, is worried that the perception of people in their 60s and 70s, by both them and others, is still “informed by a retirement age that was established at the end of the 1800s.” At the time of enacting the first national old age pension in 1908, life expectancy for males was 55 years, females 59 years, and a little over 4% of Australians reached the national pension eligibility age of 65 (or 60 for women).

Today, the life expectancy of Australians is 81 years for males, 85 years for females. While last year the age for pension eligibility was revised upward to 67, currently 16% of the population is aged 65 and over and by 2050, it is estimated this figure will be 25%. That’s a lot of people in retirement.

How many of us would be dead by now if we lived in the early twentieth century?

In 100 years, people are now living 26 years longer! I hope we can keep that rate up. I’d like the average age to be 107 by the time I die at 150! :wink:

5 Likes