24 year old tracking metrics for rapamycin

When I had my one instance of getting a canker sore (Aphthous ulcer) it lasted about 4 or 5 days. I seem to remember it starting a few days after I tried a slightly higher dose of rapamycin, so yes, I pushed out my next dose a few days. This was almost 2 years ago, so I’m a little unsure of the details, I might have also stepped back my dose by 1mg (I was at around 5mg or so when this happened).

I’ve never had another canker sore since then, despite going as high as 30mg+ on a single dose, so a single instance of getting a canker sore doesn’t seem to mean much as far as future side effects.

took 2mg (4/13/2022) , no issues

I’m around similar age and currently planning out the protocol for Rapa, but have been searching into radical life-extension since a long time. I’ve been experimenting with various forms of dietary restriction and supplements.

When you say 1mg then 2mg next month do you mean daily doses of 1 mg or some periodic dose?

Most people do once a week dosing:

3 Likes

What is the scientific basis for fewer side effects with ramping up from 1 mg to 6…vs starting at 6 which appears to be a well tolerated dose in almost all people. I could understand the need if this were with no track record, but seems by now we have data to say 6 is ok. Maybe even a lot more, so why the ramp up?

We don’t really have much data on it, and people’s responses vary.

Well what if you are someone who has never tried rapamycin and is one of the individuals who doesn’t tolerate the dose but you just start out taking 6mg? Seems like a unnecessary risk when you could just take 1mg for a bit and work your way up to ensure you aren’t an individual who will have adverse effects. Also why would you just start high when you would want to make sure my biomarkers such as WBC aren’t decreasing or having any issues and would want to see how low doses effect you first. It’s more of risk vs reward and you as an individual have to access that risk.

4 Likes

I do once a week, and have been taking 1mg for about a little over a month now, with only getting canker sores once. I now am moving to 2mg.

2 Likes

took 2mg yesterday(4/20), ran and had no side effects.
Getting blood work done tomorrow ( 4/22)

1 Like

So my lab work is the pretty much the same, other than my CRP decreased from 0.55mg/L to 0.3mg/L since taking rapamycin. I will update on cholesterol results when I get them.

1 Like

So wanted to post that after 6 weeks of being on 10mg of a statin and taking rapamycin my cholesterol numbers have gone down significantly. The blood work was taken after a 12 hour fast and two days after taking 2mg of rapamycin.

I am still waiting on Lp(a) and Apo(B) results

1 Like

Well you changed up two things at once. Statins and rapa which confounds any good analysis. A good thing to keep in mind as you shuffle things about in the future. Based on what we know this is from the statins. You were in pretty bad shape lipid wise before then.

Yes this is from statins, I was saying about both because I know a lot of people see increase in cholesterol when taking Rapa. I did my blood work two days after taking rapamycin, so I doubt the rapa did anything at the time.

1 Like

Took 2mg 4/27/2022, no side effects.

1 Like

my ApoB came back as 66 mg/dL
my Lipoprotein(a) was 163 nmol/L which is still very high , but a little lower than my last test on 3/14/2022 which was at 169 nmol/L

1 Like

took 2mg this AM(5/4/2022) , had no side effects.

2 Likes

took 2mg on 5/11 and had no side effects

1 Like

Hey @Guywholikessleep , any update on your rapamycin usage? How is it going? Please let us know - we haven’t heard from you in a while.

Hey sorry for the lack of posts and lack of activity, I have been crazy busy with running experiments and focusing on my PhD. I finished my last bit of rapamycin this week actually( So I did rapamycin, once a week at 1-3mg for about 9 months). I plan to get blood work done soon to see if anything noticeable changed since last blood work. I will say I felt no negative effects and I only maxed my dose at 3mg ,which i did from June-August, then in order to spread my rapamycin tablets further, I switched to 2mg from August-October, and then finally ended with 1mg from November to now.
In all honesty, I didn’t feel any real effects mentally or physically(at least not anecdotally), there may be something there with my biomarkers, but can I safely attribute it to rapamycin? Maybe or maybe not. I really started to focus my time and energy on other things outside of rapamycin. I focused more of my time and energy into what Peter Attia mentioned , which is what movement/things do I want to be able to do when I am 85? So I started really focusing on stability, zone 2(Rucking since I love hiking), and doing exercises that match movements I want to do (so like dead lift, farmer’s carries, goblet squats, gymnastic ring exercises, weight lifting for increase in muscle mass, etc). I really started focusing on training and less so on diet, as I think most diets really aren’t worth the 80/20 rule(80% results with 20% time/effort spent)
(Good science review on antiaging diets
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8841109/)
and instead I focus that energy in exercising and other things such as social interactions , being in nature and being mentally productive/deep work.
For me being as young as I am , I think its better to focus on those things instead of spend the money on lots of rapamycin as those are going to give me the better return on investment.
I will say though, that I plan to take rapamycin but will continue to do so in 1-3 mg doses and I will do it intermittently (so maybe 3 months on /3 months off), just in the off chance that I am seeing really good benefits in it(good way to hedge my risk/reward). I mean who knows what we will find in the future I mean look at the article that came out on NAD supplementation(NOT Saying rapa is anything like NAD, but you never know what science will find). I plan to keep up with the literature and being up to date with new discoveries in the aging realm, along with posts on this site, but I do not know how much more I will offer in terms of rapamycin metrics.

It really has started to scare me to see some of the people on the post really advocating for rapamycin use at such as young age and also sensationalizing rapamycin.It’s almost like rapamycin is miracle drug or something!LOL I am not saying that there is not any merit in that, but I worry we will find some things that rapamycin does not benefit(maybe increases chances/risks in some health outcomes), so it’s better to wait longer. Also I worry about this, in the fear that people neglect to do the other stuff that actually is beneficial for overall health such as exercise, eating well and regularly going to the doctor and replace it with taking rapamycin. So I really do not want to keep advocating my metrics toward that, as I would rather people do their own research and make their own assumptions on what is worth doing.

Side note: @RapAdmin I love how the blog has come along! Keep it up

6 Likes

I love your approach to this. I read somewhere that leading up to 45-50yrs old we create our life long habits and that it is very hard to break the habits we get in. You seem to be focusing on the correct things. I would worry a lot more about a mid 20s individual that was hoping for a miracle cure for life via rapamycin and forgot that lifestyle/habits is 99% of the journey.
Someone who never takes rapamycin, but creates the right habits (exercise, community, getting out in nature, healthy diet), is going to live longer than someone who takes rapamycin weekly but leads a sedentary lifestyle indoors with no community.

5 Likes