Are you getting the vaccine this year?
Yep. Tomorrow both my wife and myself are getting the covid and the flu vaccines. FWIW, I have not stopped or modified my rapamycin regimen - still 8mg every Saturday; had a dose this past Sat and will have another this coming Sat. We’ll see.
I got the Moderna mNEXSPIKE almost 2 weeks ago. Never felt anything!
I am giving it a full two weeks before my next rapa dose.
Is the ANY legitimate reason not to get it?
I got mine about 3 weeks ago.
Just got the Covid Moderna and a flu shot. It’ll be interesting to see if there’s any symptomatic rapamycin influence.
Hell, No but for reasons other than what you might think LOL. I NEVER (and do mean NEVER) get flu, cold, Sars, covid or any virus driven infection. At least that has been the case in last 25 years and as such I see no reason to take it. So, it’s a pass for me as it has been for last 25 years or so.
Interesting. But why do you think most of us here take these vaccines in order not to get the flu, covid etc.? I for one don’t get the flu vaccine because I fear the flu - I have not had the flu since the year 2000 (and even that year, I’m not sure I had the flu specifically - had some kind of bug I got on the airplane). I take the vaccines for the purported pleiotropic benefits vs CV health, dementia, ACM etc. - these might be in dispute, but what is the downside? A few minutes spent at a local pharmacy? For me, it’s worth spending a few minutes for the possible multiple benefits (of which not getting the flu is way, way down the list). But of course, to each their own.
Definitely not aware of any benefits other than fighting covid/flu infections. Seriously, or is this some kind of joke? The covid/flu vaccine has CV, dementia and ACM benefits? If true, this would be 100% news to me but then again most of medical stuff is news to me anyway.
There are many threads about it, just do a search, here’s a couple:
COVID shot in two weeks, flu shot in four weeks.
I’ll be getting the COVID vaccine and flu shot this year. I’m also trying to get the shingles vaccine due to it’s cardio-protective effects, but it’s generally only available to people in my area who are 50+ years old (even if I pay out of pocket). I need a doctor to make an exemption for me and prescribe it.
Is anyone choosing the MRNA flu vax this year?
Yesterday I asked Claude to make ‘his’ recommendation for me and I’ll share that here:
Traditional, but a specific one: Flublok. Lean, not a lock.
Weakest point of that call: no trial has put the two in the same ring. I’m comparing separate trials, and Flublok’s biggest trial showed its smallest benefit.
The short version
- Flublok (lab-made protein shot, no eggs) and mFLUSIVA (Moderna’s new mRNA shot) each beat the ordinary egg-grown shot by a similar margin.
- The mRNA shot hits harder the next day, and that is the tiebreaker.
- The ordinary egg-grown shot is the one to skip.
- High-dose and Fluad are licensed for 65+ only, so they’re off your menu.
Catching flu: toss-up
- mFLUSIVA: 26.6% fewer lab-confirmed flu cases than a standard shot, and 26.1% in ages 50–64. Human trial (randomized), Leroux-Roels, NEJM 2026, 40,703 people. One trial, one season.
- Flublok: 30% fewer than a standard shot. Human trial (randomized), Dunkle, NEJM 2017, 8,963 adults 50+.
- Flublok, bigger trial: 15.3% fewer in ages 50–64. Human trial (cluster-randomized), Hsiao, NEJM 2023, about 1.6 million people.
- Head-to-head: none exists.
Side effects: Flublok better, likely
| New shot | Standard shot | |
|---|---|---|
| mFLUSIVA, severe reactions | 6.4% | 1.0% |
| mFLUSIVA, fatigue | 45% | 20% |
| mFLUSIVA, muscle aches | 35% | 12% |
| Flublok, fatigue (ages 50–64) | 13% | 17% |
| Flublok, arm pain (ages 50–64) | 32% | 37% |
- Both rows come from the FDA labels (human trial, randomized). The comparison between them is indirect.
- Heart inflammation: zero cases in the mRNA trial, and no warning on the label.
Your heart
- Any flu shot: helps, likely. In people with a recent heart attack, 5.3% vs 7.2% had death, heart attack or stent clot over a year. Human trial (randomized), Fröbert, Circulation 2021.
- You haven’t had a heart attack, so applying it to you is extrapolation.
- No type wins on heart outcomes. High-dose did no better than standard (human trial, randomized, Vardeny, JAMA 2021). Neither Flublok nor mRNA has heart data.
What would move the call
- A rough day doesn’t bother you: then it’s a coin flip, and mRNA is a fair pick.
- Cost: mFLUSIVA may run $150–180 out of pocket (news report, one source). Coverage is unsettled because the CDC’s vaccine panel hasn’t met since March.
- Eggs: Flublok has no egg protein; it’s grown in insect cells (FDA label).
Timing: the rapamycin wrinkle
- From CURRENT: your Repatha 140 mg and rapamycin 16 mg pair is due today or tomorrow.
- Your rule holds rapamycin one week before and after any vaccine. On a two-week cycle that leaves exactly one legal day: day 7.
- Pair Thu 10/1 → shot Thu 10/8. Pair Fri 10/2 → shot Fri 10/9.
- Mid-October costs you nothing. CDC says September or October (guideline). Protection fades about 8–9% a month (human observational, Ferdinands, Clin Infect Dis 2021).
- The one-week rule is extrapolation. The only trials used a two-week gap and a cousin drug, everolimus (human trial, randomized, Mannick, Sci Transl Med 2014).
Sourcing gaps
- The NEJM pages for the two Flublok trials were blocked. Those numbers come from the FDA label and Sanofi’s release.
- The waning figure came from a news summary of the paper.
- Whether California plans cover mFLUSIVA at no copay: unverified.
Sources:
- mFLUSIVA FDA label
- Flublok FDA label
- Hsiao 2023, Sanofi release
- Fröbert, Circulation 2021
- Vardeny 2021, US Pharmacist summary
- Ferdinands 2021, Healio summary
- Mannick 2014
- mFLUSIVA price, The Banner
- CDC 2026–27 season
Your move: Pick the shot, then book it for day 7 after this week’s Repatha 140 mg and rapamycin 16 mg.
Open question: None
Speaking for specifically covid/flu shots and not other vaccines, a lot of people get sick for a day after taking them so the pros to me as a 40 year old aren’t worth feeling like crap for a day. If the evidence strengthens that flu shots have all these other benefits you mentioned, then I will re-think that but for now, I am not going to start getting them. That’s just me though and I respect what anyone decides to do.
Sure, everyone has their reasoning. FWIW, I don’t feel anything as a consequence of the two shots - flu and covid-19 - taken simultaneously… but my wife does feel under the weather for a day or so, in other words, YMMV, your reaction is not guaranteed one way or another.
And personally, I find the evidence for pleiotropic benefits of the flu shot pretty convincing (though obviously it’s not proven). The key for me is the cost/benefit ratio. The cost, to me, is minimal, mostly time spent on booking and getting it, but even if I felt crappy for a day, my calculus is that it’s totally worth the speculative benefits. But it’s all good, to each their own.
I’m getting the flu vaccine for the possible pleiotropic benefits.
Got the Moderna Covid booster and the flu shot a week ago. Felt quite bad for about a day afterwards. Hope that is an indication of the strength of my response . . .