Your Current Stack and Why, Sept 2023

I recently had a tooth extracted while taking pantethine. Had bad pain for the following week. Went back to the dentist to have the stitches removed, and he said ‘It hurt for a week? Not supposed to happen.’ I had a ‘dry socket’. Some problem with clotting. Anyway, he did something to remedy the situation that required being sewed up again, and now hopefully no additional problems.

Only by ‘luck’ had I stopped pantethine a few days prior to my return visit. (And hopefully soon enough to prevent a second failure.) The luck was that I had banged myself in a couple place while hiking and the bruising was all out of proportion to the damage.

I had an another extraction back in February before starting pantethine that went fine.

Dry socket is a common complication or tooth removal. I doubt the Pantethine was the cause.

3 Likes

I knew I could count on you Karl.

2 Likes

Weekly

Rapamycin: 7 mg

Daily

Taurine: 6000 mg
Metformin: 1000 mg
Vitamin B12: 1000 mcg
Vitamin D: 3000 mg
Omega 3: 360 mg
L-Theanine: 200 mg
Magnesium L-Threonate: 1300 mg
Lithium Orotate: 5 mg
Glycine: 2000 mg
Aspirin: 81 mg
NMN: 1000 mg
Atorvastatin: 10 mg
Tadalafil: 5 mg
L-Carnosine: 1000 mg
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: 1 oz
Apigenin: 600 mg

8 Likes

Hi @Phil_Van_Treuren Interesting list, quite a similar list too. What do you take Lithium Orotate: 5 mg for?

See here for discussions on lithium microdosing:

Here: A primer on Lithium, Lithium + Rapamycin, etc. potentially more stable and safer pharmacokinetics

Here: Lithium Supplementation

1 Like

I did a blood test yesterday for lithium. I have been varying my supplementation with a view for hitting about 50 micro molar. If others could do this and report back that would be useful. I will report the results when I get them.

1 Like

@Jonas, be careful with lithium, it’s a psoriasis trigger. Mainly at therapeutic doses for bipolar disorder, but other evidence that inflammatory reaction is not always dose-dependent. Inositol seems to reverse it.

1 Like

Lithium I noted recently is in fact an inhibitor of some of the SLC13 family of transporters. In particular it can at high enough levels block citrate (and other tricarboyxlates and dicarboxylates) from entering the cell. However, at the longevity levels it does not have this effect to any substantial amount).

I thought I would do a bit more research on Lithium and the SLC13 family of transporters and I found this paper:

https://www.jbc.org/article/S0021-9258(18)80219-8/fulltext

Millimolar concentrations of Li+ resulted in decreases in apparent succinate affinity and in the I maxsuccinate. Furthermore, lithium inhibition under saturating sodium concentrations showed hyperbolic kinetics, suggesting that one of the three cation binding sites in NaDC-1 has a higher affinity for Li+ than Na+. We conclude that NaDC-1 is an electrogenic anion transporter that accepts either Na+ or Li+ as coupling cations. However, NaDC-1 contains a single high affinity binding site for Li+ that, when occupied, results in transport inhibition, which may account for its potent inhibitory effects on renal dicarboxylate transport.

You do get about 0.6-1 millimolar concentrations of lithium when medicating for mental health reasons.

This would explain why higher concentrations would cause kidney disease as it would prevent citrate from getting into the cell via the SLC13a series of transporters some of which are expressed in kidney tissue.

What I find particularly interesting is SLC13A5 (which is the main citrate transporter from plasma) is mainly expressed in the brain and liver.

What I wonder about in the other cells is whether citrate enters them through one of the other transporters, an unidentified transporter or whether citrate concentration is maintained via a transport out of the cell being blocked as a result of higher citrate concentration outside the cell.

I know it has an effect because of the experimental results, but I am not quite sure of the mechanism.

Having looked at this I am, however, thinking of dropping back from 15mg a week to 7mg a week. (Lithium). I will see what the results say.

1 Like

Ouch! TheLiverDoc (on Twitter) seems to be well informed but he sure hates supplements…

1 Like

To each their own. I hope he lives a healthy long life.

From personal experience though, I can say that I disagree with the LiverDoc.

2 Likes

I’m interested in trying low dose lithium for the mental/longevity benefits. Especially the first. I tend to get angry/annoyed etc, it might be because some terrible Eastern European genetics. My trigger is mostly “people being wrong” on the internet. I’m glad the cardiovascular thread has died down. But better mood is always better.

It helped Peter not ‘be an asshole’ as much, according to his wife :rofl:
He managed to drop the F-bomb in the same video.

4 Likes

I had seen that before, but have learnt more about lithium since. For mental health I would tend to agree with Peter attia. That it is difficult to tell with low dose. I have tried 7mg per. Week which was too low for my target 50 micro molar in serum. 35mg was too high and I am awaiting a test result on 15mg. When I first.took lithium I felt a shift.

2 Likes

Lithium is fascinating. I think I heard the professor mention that he uses 15 mg per day. Better better check that up.

1 Like

I take 1 mg lithium daily and I can see an effect at that level. Or it could be the 2.6 g of NAC. They both improve mood. Lithium also has a lifespan enhancement bonus.

2 Likes

I take 5 mg lithium every other day. So approx 2,5 mg per day.

1 Like

Maybe some counseling would be helpful too. Anger can be really self destructive. Sometimes it is driven by other emotions, shame, impotence, helplessness, guilt, envy… maybe it is not genetics per se but part of inherited or personal (complex) trauma.
PA is in psychotherapy as well.

2 Likes

Be aware that low-dose lithium, IMO <20mg/day, will take 2 months or longer to have a noticeable effect.
I really did notice that driving my car was more enjoyable and other drivers were not pi**ing me off as much.

7 Likes

I’m a believer. I felt it after about 1 week. It wasn’t much but I felt my edginess was less sharp. I felt it took less effort to remain calm in stressful situations. It became easier to have that space between stimulus and reaction that is so important but hard to have. I don’t care if it has longevity benefits but I hope it does.

4 Likes