Which supplements do you think are still worth taking?

I was taking quite a few pills, maybe 35 in the morning, 10 for lunch, and 30 in the evening. I decided to take a bit of a break.

I still take a 1-a-day(Centrum Silver), fish oil 2x/day, CoQ10 2x/day, Tru Niagen NR 2-pills/2x/day, odorless garlic 2-pills/2x/day.

1 Like

Not that this is useful information, but when I was seven years old (in the 1970’s) I was assigned a school report on a vitamin, and in response I created a full comic book on The Adventures of Niacin Man.

5 Likes

I am taking proline, lycine, glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, citrulline, nattokinase.

In addition, vitamin C, D, K2, magnesium.

These all come from reading that they are cardioprotective in various ways. Thinking of adding taurine for the same reason.

I was Niacin in a second grade school play, lmao.

2 Likes

Michael Lustgarten says that NAD can be increased with proanthocyanidins from grape seed.

If what is needed is proanthocyanidins, I prefer to source them from baking chocolate. Study below provides a table of various food items and their proanthocyanidin content.

Heaviest hitter is cinnamon. But it is low on monomers. Baking chocolate has similar proportions (of monomers, dimers, etc.) as grape seed. I just have to take a fourfold dose - a self excuse to eat more unsweetened chocolate.

5 Likes

French Maritime Bark extract also contains a large amount of proanthocyanidins.

8 Likes

I love discovering another benefit from something im taking already. Thank you.
I’m taking 400mg of pine bark extract daily, so about 380mg of anthocyanins. That’s about 3/4 of the human equivalent dose suggested by the trials

4 Likes

I will have to switch from baking chocolate (100%) to 92% dark chocolate. The below vlogger tested her glucose response with a CGM, eating for breakfast (fasted state), 72%, 86%, 92% and 100% dark chocolate (200 calories of dark chocolate).

The 72% gave a moderate spike; so did the 100% chocolate (similar to 72%). Stable response came from 92% chocolate.

Excuse the slow-mo style of presentation. It is overly gentle for me. Fast forward to 9:51.

3 Likes

I am seeing more interest in Calcium AKG on Twitter, etc.

I know that Cacium AKG is the one studied, but is there any reason to think it is superior to Arginine AKG? Arginine AKG is significantly cheaper and may lower blood pressure.
Or, you could just take AKG straight, though it might cause stomach upset in some people. That is one of the reasons Calcium AKG was used in the studies.

1 Like

Could you link to the studies that show the benefits of CA-AKG? I have heard talk of this supplement many times, but I haven’t found any compelling reasons to add this to my stack. If you can provide some evidence to change my mind, I am open to it.

2 Likes

It’s relatively new and not widely studied. I first saw it on the The Sheekey Science Show on Youtube. (I like the Sheekey Science Show) No good studies at this time but it has other benefits than possible life extension. Really very few studies at this time.
I was just wondering, if it is beneficial, is it worth the extra money for the calcium version

“CaAKG) on healthspan and lifespan in C57BL/6 mice was reported. The authors showed that in the mice, AKG reduced frailty and enhanced longevity, indicating a compression of morbidity [23]. These and other discoveries suggest that AKG may be an ideal candidate for pro-longevity human studies.”

AKG could modulate aging in humans thus, AKG could potentially extend healthspan and promote healthy longevity.

“Recently, the anti-ageing effect of AKG is emerging; a translational research has been carried out and shown that a compound formulation with AKG and vitamins reduces an average 8-year reduction in biological aging measured by epigenetic clock.Citation81”

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/pdf/S1550-4131(20)30422-8.pdf

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.2147/DMSO.S369090

5 Likes

I love the Sheekey Science Show!

3 Likes

Instead of fish oil which now contains microplastics and high levels of mercury, have you looked into C-15 or Fatty-15?

Few days ago I went to my local Russian grocer and noticed cod liver and remembered you advocating it. I bough few cans, I tried one and it is really good snack.

Do you have favorite brand? I noticed some are packed in own juice and some in own juice and oil. So far I opened a can of King Oscar cod liver and I must say I am pleasantly surprised, both tasty and cheap, not to mention 14g O3 in 100g.

I just buy the cheapes brand available in the supermarkets. They usually have 2 brand Princes and John West. Princes usually is cheaper, contains more liver, less oil and tastes a bit creamier and less salty and fishy than John West. So that’s the brand I usually get.

1 Like

Great. I noticed Princes as well. Did not get this time, will be getting it next time. I did not know cod liver is a common canned good in northern Europe. I sometimes was getting “foie de lotte” at my fishmonger but it is not easily available. Good to know about cod liver!

1 Like

Dr. Attia recommends Omega 3s and Vitamin D3.

5 Likes

D, B12, digestive enzymes, for sure.

The ones I’m not so sure about are Taurine, marine collagen peptides, and krill oil. I still take them, though.

I also take a multi every other day.

I’ll be starting myself and my geriatric dog on a low dose of rapamycin in a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Those all sound great to me!

I came across this from an X (Twitter) referral. It is not often that you come across a supplement study involving people who are this old.

“This was a placebo-controlled, randomized, double-blind, 2-phase study. Sixty-six centenarians with onset of fatigue after even slight physical activity were recruited to the study.”

“In fact, l-carnitine was shown to improve total muscle mass, reduce total fat mass with weight gain, and improve walking capacity.”

l-Carnitine treatment reduces severity of physical and mental fatigue and increases cognitive functions in centenarians: a randomized and controlled clinical trial

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S000291652327690X?via%3Dihub

4 Likes