When NOT to take Rapamycin

Amazing, thanks. Actually I’ve noticed at the gym when I do something similar I get really dizzy. I’ll try this.

Personally, I stopped Rapamycin twice since starting it : once, briefly, while I had COVID (luckily a mild case) and then for several weeks when I took a bad fall and pulled some muscles. When I could walk without limping, I resumed it. I wanted a persistent immune response at those times, didn’t want any premature “pruning” of problematic cell lines, but DID want to resume it, in both cases, to complete the job of healing. Influenced slightly by mechanism of action type thoughts, but more influenced by “I should just let my body act in its own wise ways for the acute stage of healing so there isn’t a long phase.” (Spoken as a 74-year old, healthy MD.)

9 Likes

That makes sense. I’m considering skipping my dose the week of my colonoscopy.

5 Likes

I think that’s a good idea. I stopped for two weeks prior and didn’t notice anything from said procedure.

2 Likes

Second week off rapamycin for vaccine preparation. I had my second shingles shot 2 days ago with no side effects that I’m aware of. I’m taking one more week off.

2 Likes

I thought that Rapamycin positively affects vaccine tolerance (shields from unwanted side effects in case immune system overreacts). I’m about to take my first Shingles vaccine in couple weeks. Did not plan on stopping Rapamycin. Should I reconsider?

1 Like

Vaccines work by sparking an immune response. While I haven’t seen that continuing rapamycin is detrimental, I think I’d rather take a little time off. I also took breaks for the flu vaccine and my first shingles shot.
Separately. I’m also looking forward to hearing the Matt Kaeberlein interview from Krister Kauppi to find out why Kaeberlein takes long breaks from rapamycin.

1 Like

There was a study that said taking Rapamycin enhanced the effectiveness of flu shots in the elderly. A pretty famous one that you can google.

Yes, the Joan Mannick one.

3 Likes

I see the study and it was led by Joan Mannick too. I’m ok with my decision but with next year’s flu vaccine, maybe I should reconsider.

2 Likes

Yes, the Mannick study is the one everyone references, but that is the main reason people cycle off. In her study, the people taking rapamycin stopped two weeks prior to the flu vaccine. I believe the reason that Matt Kaeberlein cycles off is that the studies from the University of Washington (some unpublished) have shown that the effectiveness is not impaired, and he reasons that the side effects may be fewer.

7 Likes

I take Rapa fortnightly and if I’m having a vaccine I schedule it for day 10 or 11 and I don’t take a break.
Never had any issues.

3 Likes

I watched Krister Kauppi’s excellent interview with Matt Kaeberlein today. If you haven’t seen it, it’s a must see for all rapamycin users.
Listening to Kaeberlein talk about immunity and vaccines, I wouldn’t change anything. I’d still stop rapamycin for a short period. With the limited information available, I’d rather be cautious.

5 Likes

I’ll definitely take a look. I had a Eustachian tube procedure about a week ago and so I’ve skipped my last two doses.
I’m kind of on the fence about taking it again this weekend, but I’ve got a few days to see how I feel.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree @Krister_Kauppi 's Matt Kaberlein video is excellent. I feel more knowledgeable after having watched that interview. I think I understand Rapamycin much better in some aspects.

5 Likes

Recently I had small surgery (removing three skin tags, two hopefully precancerous and one really early SCC) and I forgot not to take the last dose. Later I was in a bit of a panic mode, but my husband who is plastic surgeon (not the operating doctor on these lesions though) said that fast healing is not always good and that there might be benefits in slower healing too. He said that modified immune response might lead to a better epithelialization and less scarring and better optical outcome. I notoriously scar badly. It is a hypothesis so I decided to take my next dose as scheduled and lets hope for that outcome. I will report back for sure my N=1 experiment.

4 Likes

Do you think it is best to have skin tags removed? I have always heard that you should leave them alone.

I was avoiding SCC developing on my forehead few years. Started as a small scab after a really bad sunburn that just did not go away. At the begining too small to even see, I just felt it under a finger, to what it became in 15 years, 1,5 mm early SCC. With other two too my friend who is dermatologist whenever she saw me in shorts would be in panic I have melanoma and would start searching for her dermatoscope… so after few years I gave in. It is difficult to live with a surgeon I guess. Had some consults about SCC on my forehead with different doctors who had really different opinions on what I should do, from really conservative (let’s wait) to maybe use some immunomodulation therapy or even let’s use radiation to let’s just remove it. At the end I cave in and let my husband decide for myself. I would wait, have regular checkups and with SCC try immunomodulation at some point soon.

1 Like

It’s vax season again! :syringe:

What do folks think about rapa&vax? (Please, no discussions of why not to get vaccinated–that is not this topic.)

I’ve read and re-read everything I could find on this Forum about vaccines and rapamycin, and have come to the conclusion that… there is no conclusion. :smiley:

Some say, esp in this thread, that rapa could actually improve the efficacy of the (flu) vaccines.

Some say take a rapa-break.

Me, I am inclined to continue my (weekly) schedule, but at a lower dose.

Does anyone who has weighed in before have new opinions? Does anyone who has gotten vaxes while on rapa want to offer their reports of how it turned out?

And does anyone want to offer a new rationale for either position?

Many thanks in advance.

3 Likes

I think there’s evidence to suggest that rapa does improve immunity after vaccines. I recently had my flu jab and continued to take my weekly rapa dose.
I do tend to err on the side of caution with things, if you’re concerned you could as you mentioned lower your dose.

2 Likes