When NOT to take Rapamycin

I have been on Rapamycin for a long time (small dose), but my WBC has never been that low. The lowest I had for 12 mo period was 4.22. The last one (after Covid, 12/29/22) was 5.08, and on 12/5/22 it was 6.03.

2 Likes

My WBC was low before I took Rapamycin. I hypothecate that this is because I have increased the ability of my cells to fight infection using NF kappa B and cytosolic ROS. In 2021 I had one blood count at WBC 4.34 2022 and 2023 have all been under 4.

Morgan Levines phenoage algorithm has low WBC as being good. (in the sense of a lower mortality).

In 2022 and 2023 I have not really had any macroscopic signs of infection. I am pretty certain I have been infected because I was exposed to infection via my family. If anyone wants to see the WBC figures I can copy them into the forum.

2 Likes

The last thing you want to do is suppress your immune system when you have COV.

1 Like

My WBC went from 3.9 on May 5th to 3.4 on June 8. I started a five day water only fast on May 5 after my blood was drawn. Most of my markers improved, some significantly, but that one was an outlier. I have no idea if it was a result of the fast. I had not started taking rapamycin at that time.

Want to correct myself: I did not mean “preventive” prescribing of antibiotics as prescribing without having a bacterial infection. A better wording would be “taking antibiotics at a very early stage (with onset of coughing when having Covid) with the purpose of preventing that infection from becoming pneumonia couple weeks later. My mother almost died of undetected pneumonia. Her doctor did not order X-ray and did not prescribe an antibiotic on time. Three weeks later he gave her an antibiotic when her pneumonia was already full grown. One can only imagine the damage that was done to a 90 yo because of his fear of antibiotic resistance.

I have been measuring WBC for quite some time. I have not noticed any meaningful trend since starting rapamycin and it varies up and down from test to test. My current WBC after taking relatively high doses of rapamycin for over a year are

I read today that Pfizer is being investigated by the CDC for their booster shots. We refused to take the boosters due to so many people having a bad reaction, especially coughing and breathing problems. I’m sure the Rapamycin is not causing the problems

3 Likes

Back on rapamycin as of yesterday. 3mg with gf juice. The only thing I noticed was that my sense of smell was better. This was quite unexpected. Covid did affect my taste and to a lesser extent, sense of smell.

2 Likes

I still haven’t restarted Rapmycin, but I’m going to start again this weekend. I’m still having weird visual artifacts after my bout with Covid.

2 Likes

Rapamycin is good for eyes… and gums.
Maybe it can help.

1 Like

I was diagnosed with BVVP. It was really severe but has started to settle down, I’ll occasionally lie down and the room will start to spin. I’m finding that if I concentrate I can stop it or I can close my eyes and it seems fine. I think it’s neurological, which frankly has freaked me out. I’m hoping that whatever has happened my brain will retrain itself and adjust.

1 Like

I get bvvp every few years. I think from surf wipeouts. I can typically resolve it in a day by just doing the Half-Somersault every 30 min or so until it resolves.

1 Like

I saw this Dr. today on Youtube: Modern Healthspan.

1 Like

Interestingly enough a good friend of mine also gets it periodically and he also surfs, maybe there’s a connection. Are the half somersaults actual somersaults or the name of an exercise to treat it? Sorry for my ignorance. I haven’t done much to address it, other than to act like it’s not happening and hope my brain gets the message.

1 Like

This is really interesting, thanks for this. I’ve been doing a little research into low dose lithium recently. Although my mother has been on lithium for bi-polar disorder since her teens and for no rational reason I have some some reservations. It sounds as it giving it a try couldn’t hurt.

Amazing, thanks. Actually I’ve noticed at the gym when I do something similar I get really dizzy. I’ll try this.

Personally, I stopped Rapamycin twice since starting it : once, briefly, while I had COVID (luckily a mild case) and then for several weeks when I took a bad fall and pulled some muscles. When I could walk without limping, I resumed it. I wanted a persistent immune response at those times, didn’t want any premature “pruning” of problematic cell lines, but DID want to resume it, in both cases, to complete the job of healing. Influenced slightly by mechanism of action type thoughts, but more influenced by “I should just let my body act in its own wise ways for the acute stage of healing so there isn’t a long phase.” (Spoken as a 74-year old, healthy MD.)

9 Likes

That makes sense. I’m considering skipping my dose the week of my colonoscopy.

5 Likes

I think that’s a good idea. I stopped for two weeks prior and didn’t notice anything from said procedure.

2 Likes