When longevity & rapamycin goes mainstream, the reaction might not be positive

Starting to see rapamycin slip into the internet mockery machine:

The account is dedicated to following “grifts” all types, specifically mentioning crypto, AI, Longevity, and FTX

2 Likes

Every “new thing” that becomes popular is going to be ridiculed by some portion of the world, and thats ok. I think people can laugh at some of the excesses of the longevity field but appreciate the progress that will help them.

I am sure some of the anti-smoking advocates were ridiculed back in the 1950s and 1960s as overly cautious health nuts. It takes a long time for public perceptions to change in many areas…

10 Likes

There are those that think extending life will just worsen the world’s overpopulation problem.

1 Like

There are those that think extending life will just worsen the world’s overpopulation problem

Meanwhile you have Elon Musk simultaneously telling people population decline is the biggest problem and arguing against longevity at the same time. While again simultaneously saying that neuralink will one day fix neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s (that would almost entirely disappear if the root cause of biological aging was addressed)

I think there is always an issue when a new possibility emerges in tech or the world. Humans are pretty good at resigning themselves to “that’s just the way it is” when there is no alternative. But once you open up a new possibility, everyone’s emotional buttons get pushed and you get all kinds of wild knee jerk reactions.

1 Like

There will always be people who love something or hate it. Fortunately taking Rapamycin is a personal decision and it shouldn’t affect others. If someone wants to take it, they should have the freedom and choice to do so. There are so many more terrible things that we know are bad for you that are legal to use such as smoking, alcohol and heaven forbid, soda. :wink:

3 Likes

This guy who posts these memes is pretty funny…

1 Like

True , seems like peoples dislike for the topic comes from their own fears about mortality. Even people in the field of aging-research are so afraid of using the term immortality. As if its trying to become greek gods or something.

1 Like

Probably best not to use “immortality”, as it is a pipe dream at this point in time. I don’t see any reason currently to expect more than a long healthy life.

Should add that I also don’t like the phrase “reversing aging”. What does that mean? You can make yourself younger? Therefore immortal?

2 Likes

Really anyone who lives long enough is basically guaranteed to get hit by the proverbial bus at some point. Curing aging isn’t immortality, it really just gives everyone the opportunity to die in a more interesting way.

3 Likes