What is the Rapamycin Dose / Dosage for Anti-Aging or Longevity?

Actually you want your iron levels on the low end, take a look:
Iron is an essential element for virtually all living organisms, but its reactivity also makes it potentially harmful. Iron accumulates with aging, and is associated with many age-related diseases; it also shortens the lifespans of several model organisms. Blocking iron absorption through drugs or natural products extends lifespan. Many life-extending interventions, such as rapamycin, calorie restriction, and old plasma dilution can be explained by the effects they have on iron absorption, excretion, and metabolism. Control of body iron stores so that they remain in a low normal range may be an important, lifespan- and healthspan-extending intervention.

4 Likes

I agree. I have never worried about a borderline low HgB or RBC’s, but when my ferritin level dropped to 7, I became a little bit concerned.

3 Likes

I agree, but I think 6 is just a little too low. Below the “normal” level bad things can start to happen such as anemia.

2 Likes

Modeling and simulation based on mTOR-mediated phosphorylation of its downstream target S6 kinase (S6K) predicted that the 20 mg [everolimus] weekly dosing regimen inhibited mTOR-mediated S6K phosphorylation almost completely, the 5 mg weekly dosing regimen inhibited S6K phosphorylation by more than 50%, and the 0.5 mg daily dosing regimen inhibited S6K phosphorylation by about 38% over the dosing interval
mTOR inhibition improves immune function in the elderly [Mannick Phase 1 trial]

2 Likes

What about this study makes you think that it supports the need for a higher dose at higher ages? All the subjects were older (70-93 yrs; mean age 80.5) and they all got the same low dose.

1 Like

I think spirulina and zinc supplementation is more effective getting your body iron reservers back…

Zincs one of those that you can have too much of relatively easily, however.

How much zinc do you take daily?

I was taking SuperZ for the Quercetin, but stopped because it also had zinc. I am currently taking VM-2000 twice a week which has 15mg (x2 =30mg) of Zinc in it.

Obviously there is some in food as well. Zinc is absolutely essential, but I would tend to agree that people should not have more than 40mg. My wife had a problem with a small zinc supplement. The male RDA is 11mg (that includes food).

One difficulty with supplements is that suppliers often bundle together quite a lot of supplements. That can cause difficulties when you are trying to be careful. There is a great tendency to put a lot of B6 with other things and that can be a real nuisance.

However, whereas I don’t mind going over the RDA with many supplements, Zinc is one I am inclined to be careful with.

There is quite a bit of research of Zinc from some time ago. It may have been the SuperZ that knocked my copper levels right down. SuperZ has 50mg Zinc in each capsule and on top of diet and any other supplements that is probably enough to be a nuisance and that is before any question as to whether the Zinc in SuperZ is more bioavailable than normally is the case.

2 Likes

Theh effect of 4.7 ppm on lifespan in males was nugatory: if you’re weighing that as the appropriate translation model, I would skip rapa altogether.

1 Like

Yes, if I was a rat that would be true, and it may be the case for humans as well. I am sticking with my 7 mg per week plus naringin for now

3 Likes

What do you find to be the benefits of naringin?

It is one of the flavanoids of grapefruit. I am hoping it has similar benfits but in a capsule form. I havent tested it yet with levels.

1 Like

I was reading up on this when I saw your post and there is a debate as to whether it is the active component.

However, in vitro studies have also shown that naringin in grapefruit is not what causes the inhibitory effects associated with grapefruit juice. Naringin solution when compared to grapefruit solution produced much less inhibition of CYP3A4.[7] Furthermore, bitter orange juice, which contains considerably less naringin content than grapefruit juice, was found to produce the same level of inhibition of CYP3A4 as grapefruit juice. This would suggest that an inhibitor other than naringin, such as furanocoumarin, which is also found in Seville oranges, may be at work.[7] At the same time, naringenin is known to be a more potent inhibitor of CYP3A4/5 than naringin [8] and in vitro studies have been unable to effectively convert naringin into naringenin. This leaves open the possibility that in vivo, naringin converted into naringenin by naringinase is what causes the inhibitory effect on CYP3A4.[7] Due to the contradictory results of the effect of naringin it is hard to tell whether it is naringin itself or other components of grapefruit juice that cause drug-drug interaction and lead to its toxicity.

8 Likes

Yes, it is a mystery. Since I dont keep fresh grapefruits or orange juice (esp. bitter OJ, blehh), I will continue taking the Naringin. If someone wants to try Naringin and measure rapamycin compared to a GFJ and without, that would be awesome! I will change my behavior if I get compelling information!

I already supplement with zinc. I would consider adding spirulina.
What does it taste like and how do you take it?
Do you have any reason to suggest that it would help with my ferritin/iron levels?

Spirulina and chlorella (maybe better as it it less likely to be contaminated) is a great source or minerals/metals. All are already in chelated form so bioavailability is really good. I think there are studies… just google it. But my source of information is a friend who was really anemic for years, doctor put her first on oral iron supplement, no change, proceeded with intramuscular iron that did not help as well and then she got this combination of spriulina / zinc / vitamin C on advice of a mutual friend who is a MD and she has never been anemic again. I personally take chlorella in my morning smoothie, a tablespoon of it… it has a grassy taste, but I don’t find it repulsive… but I guess you can get it in pills as well. Chlorella is a good source of spermidine as well among other things…

just a quick google search:

Chlorella is rich in iron and can help prevent iron deficiency anemia . In a 2009 study, women who took a 6g chlorella supplement during pregnancy experienced significantly lower rates of anemia than women who took a placebo.

Spirulina for iron deficiency has been utilized well on many anemic patients. With just 6-10 grams of spirulina per day, you can get five times the amount of vitamin B-12, four times the amount of vitamin A, and 80% of the iron you need

Occasionally I add spirulna to my morning kefir. I love the taste and its bright green color.

1 Like

Thanks, I will give it a try. Do you have a brand you prefer?