What are your oral microbiome + oral health + periodontal exam scores/how deep are your gum pockets?

Just posting here to make sure people regularly check up on their gum health!!

My oral microbiome: All my lab results here - General Health and Longevity - CR Society Forum

Here are mine from 2017 (the last year I got x-rays). I need to check up on mine again (I don’t want too many x-rays which is why I don’t see a dentist every year, but taking them once every few years is probably okay)

One thing I know for sure: my gums rarely bleed now, but they bled more ~7-8 years ago. I do use water flosser more now

Before 2017:

1 Like

Only 2 of these x-rays were necessary, the rest is superfluous/ not necessary/ poorly shot

May I ask which X-rays are typically necessary?
@Arhu

Just 2 well positioned bitewings, especially when there are no large restaurations like here. Most of these xrays here are so poorly taken they are almost useless for any diagnostics

1 Like

Mine is probably not good, but good idea.
I’ve been using stannous flouride toothpaste for some time. It is the best type of flouride AFAIK, hence the best toothpaste. It’s the Crest or Oral B brand, depending on the country.

It causes sloughing and burning oral mucosa in many people
Oral B hurts my teeth like hell too, I have no idea which ingredient does that but I find it the most unpleasant toothpaste but if it works for you it works for you (sodium lauryl sulphate is another ingredient that also causes slouching btw and also in oralb)

2 Likes

I haven’t had any side effects, and I didn’t know there were any except some toothstaining, but that’s good to know. I don’t think I will get any since I haven’t already, and if I don’t notice anything, maybe a dentist will.

I just got an exam today. They required x-rays (from above and below) so blah I complied (they said they only need them once every 2 years). They said pocket depths were all 2’s and 3’s (no 4’s) though there wasn’t a detailed exam. Also they used an ultrasonic scaler (it did sting a little more than a regular scaler) but ultrasonic scalers are SO QUICK and they made remarks on how teeth were in very good shape (no bleeding either)

they did say i had gum recession and asked if i was grinding my teeth at night. but said periodontal pockets are not the same thing as gum recession

2 Likes

Move along, nothing to see here.

Anyone have a view of how good / helpful oral probiotics are

I saw that Michael Lustgarden tested his oral microbiome via the same company that has put together

The Oral Health Probiotic

6 clinically & scientifically studied probiotic strains proven to help maintain oral health

1 Like

I think of peridontal scores as being some of the hardest things to improve. Before I started on this process (or close to the start) I lost a tooth through gum disease. However, more recently I have been finding that my peridontal scores have been improving (going down, fewer deep pockets).

I am visiting the dental hygienist later today and will see where it is now, but there has been distinct further process.

The first thing I discovered helped with inflammation was sucking melatonin overnight. This caused melatonin to go into the gums and that dramatically and visibly reduced inflammation in that my dark red gums went pink.

I think mitochondrial efficiency improvements in the gums also improve gum health. The gums must get a lot of challenges and it would not be surprising if their mitochondria end up particularly bad.

3 Likes

Thanks John. Any thoughts on probiotics for oral health?

Others from oral, gut microbiome and other threads - what are your thoughts @Joseph_Lavelle @AnUser @Bicep @Olafurpall @Jonas @AlexKChen @DeStrider @desertshores @RapAdmin

1 Like

I only know to eat a variety of plants (soluble fiber, phytonutrients, nitrates, etc) to feed bugs, and don’t consume (swallow) or use chemicals in mouth that would injure bugs (antiseptics, food preservatives that allow food to be stored at room temp for a long time), etc)

Also don’t brush tongue with toothbrush; use a tongue scraper instead (this is just from my personal experience in boosting NO).

2 Likes

I am sorry, but I have not got any thoughts on that. There was something being marketed I think prodentim which I tried and it didn’t seem to do any good. However, I would not say don’t try it for that reason.

I did go to the hygienist today and nothing much had changed since about 4 weeks ago, but whilst I was away from my normal base some of my interventions ceased so we will see what the situation is in 4 weeks time. I have made massive improvements in oral health.

2 Likes

My oral health improved dramatically once I switched to an anti-bacterial toothpaste. I rarely get bleeding gums or cavities anymore.

1 Like

@AlexKChen - thank you for sharing the Bristle Health consultation that you had! Did you ever try out any of the oral probiotics? Do you have a positive perspective of them.

1 Like

I visited the dental hygienist today. She said my progress in gum health was impressive. A few years ago, my gums easily bled and my pockets were getting too deep, and I had to start a more aggressive regime at home and go to the dental hygienist more frequently. The progress was slow, but I did okay. Besides my homework. I have used two unorthodox treatments that have helped me a lot—almost revolutionary.

1. A Lozenge with Limosilactobacillus reuteri (formerly called Lactobacillus reuteri). I had one of those before going to bed.

2. The second and most prominent revolution came a year ago when I started to take rapamycin. Even though I have been relaxed with my oral regime at home, my oral health still improves.

I will ask for my historical records next time.

3 Likes