Weekly Prednisone in mice increased lean mass, decreased fat(!)

(In mice)

“Our study (mice) demonstrates that intermittent glucocorticoids produce healthful metabolic remodeling in …DIET-INDUCED obesity”

Everyone is getting into the pharmacological rescue of lifestyle obesity! Please big pharma, save us from ourselves.

I take 5 mg per day of prednisone for a compressed nerve and 5mg of rapa weekly because I’m hoping, like most of us, to delay my rate of deterioration. Since both prednisone and rapa are immunuosuppressants, do you think that the combination may be riskier than either one alone? Also, since prednisone has a host of side effects–high BP, calcium leaching, weight gain, fractures, risk of infection, depleted nutrition–do you think that treating the prednisone with meds that counteract the sides is a viable approach?

….and humans.

I tried it (weekly prednisone) a year-or-two ago but didn’t see any big changes so stopped taking it. I may revisit it as I have quite a large stash of pills.

@Tim, I was taking 2mg rapamycin with grapefruit juice, at the time i tried prednisone, but made sure there was a separation of 3-4 days between the two.

3 Likes

@J0hn, 5 mg of prednisone per kg of body weight is still a lot of prednisone.

1 Like

In humans it makes skin paper thin and you get a full moon face and buffalo hump as well as get glucose intolerant

2 Likes

As regards the dose, I think I must have wanted to start off at the lowest usable dose, due to the potential side effects of prednisone.

I had to look back over my records to see what I did. I took 60mg of prednisone once weekly, the dosage must have been based on the study shown below and I weight ~60kg, so dosed at 1mg/kg.

“ Once enrolled in study the participants [muscular dystrophy patients] received oral prednisone. Participants over 70 kg received 0.75 mg/kg/week whereas patients under 70 kg received 1.0 mg/kg/week.
The study team educated participants to take the defined weight-based dose of prednisone on Monday nights between 7–9 pm after dinner. “

I think I was hoping to see a positive effect on blood glucose, but stopped the prednisone after two months, due to lack of any great effect.

The only alteration I made to my meds, was to drop the nightly 75mg Aspirin which is contraindicated for prednisone.

I may revisit prednisone in the future. Dosing at 2mg/kg initially and then maybe increasing to 5mg/kg with the intention of looking at improvements in strength.

Unfortunately at the moment I’m busy with other studies.

That is what you see with daily dosing of prednisone, but not apparently with weekly dosing.
My thinking is that a weekly high dose may adversely affect the body transiently for a day or two and then the effect ‘flips’ to become beneficial to the body ? I don’t know ?

1 Like

@J0hn, I couldn’t get more than 5 mg per day from any of my prescribers, and the prescription lasted only for a month. This was for a compressed nerve, and prednisone is the only thing that worked. It’s better now, but I was tempted to order a hundred from India.

When I say that I had trouble getting more than 5 mg/day from my prescribers, I mean my American doctors, who usually don’t write prednisone scripts with a liberal hand.

I think I ordered mine via IndiaMart, can’t remember who I bought off, though. I’ll go through my emails and see if I can find a name.

@J0hn, when the nerve pain was at its worst, I’d have three or four good days followed by three or four bad, so a weekly high-dose regimen, such as 50-60 mg twice a week may have some benefit and at the same time avoid some of the worst side effects.

@J0hn, I never heard of using prednisone for strength. I don’t think it has anabolic properties. You’re right, though, that it has a host of nasty side-effects, and some of them, like osteoporosis, are irreversible. By the way, I also weigh 60 kg, almost to the gram.