Vitamin D’s Impact on Health: New Study Suggests Body Weight Matters

I have gone for taking it in the morning for exactly that reason. It is always worth thinking how the body processes molecules. Vitamin D particularly has a storage form (25OHD) and one or two active forms. (1,25 and 24,25 Di Hydroxy Vitamin D).

1 Like

Are there any other supplements you recommend taking in the morning?

Any that you recommend taking at night?

Thank you for your help and experience.

I take most of mine with breakfast. It depends upon metabolism. Some things metabolise really quickly. I would not for example take melatonin during the day time.

At the moment I am taking various things at various times in the day. Most of the supplements, however, are with breakfast which ordinarily is my biggest meal.

2 Likes

No effect was detected in non-linear MR of vitamin D on CHD, stroke, all-cause mortality, across the stratums of different baseline vitamin D levels:

I am not myself persuaded that Mendelian Randomisation is likely to do much good for analysing the impact of vitamin D, it is a step too remote from serum levels. Also I am not persuaded that adjusting single values of 25OHD to an autumn figure is that reliable. I have the advantage of seeing what happens to 25OHD levels over a couple of years with a weekly result. (although my blood test from two days ago has gone wrong for some reason or other).

The average serum levels was around 50 nmol/L (20 in US units) so this was looking at a load of people without really enough vitamin D.

To properly test outcomes there needs to be an RCT where supplementation is used to maintain a specific 25OHD serum level and see what happens with that.

What I would like to see is a few more people measuring 25OHD serum levels against supplementation over a number of weeks (ideally around the year to exclude the effects of sun exposure). That, at least, would be a start.

3 Likes

I worry that high d3 dosing without k2 (and other supporting cofactors?) could be harmful for atherosclerosis. Does anyone have a view on optimal vitamin d3:k2 ratios for supplementation?
I’ve always felt typical supplements underprovide k2 but without much evidence. I see this study used 400mcg of k2 with 80mcg of d3 (about 3200 iu).

2 Likes

I am starting to take 25 mcg a day now consistently of cholecalciferol, I could try testing my levels later on and adjusting the dosage. I am most likely deficient right now but it would be interesting to see how my levels are adjusted.

edit: increasing to 50 mcg.

1 Like

Vitamin D reduces diabetes risk:

1 Like