Vince Giuliano - new post from his Anti-aging Firewalls blog

It has been a while since Vince Giuliano has posted to his blog. For those not familiar with Vince, he is a 93 year old with a broad science background. He does in-depth analysis of longevity related topics. And I find his personal health habits interesting and relevant.

7 Likes

Thanks for that. I’ve read all of his blogs religiously and consider Vince to be an extremely smart guy and an expert on all things aging. He tends to keep a low profile, avoids hyperbole, and is very evidence based.

Regarding some of his points:

1. I agree that loss of epigenetic information and the subsequent loss of beneficial gene expression is a major cause of aging. On the other hand, I’m not as confident that the present day tests are all that reliable.

2. I fully agree that chronic inflammation plays a huge role in the process.

3. It does seem that 122 is our max age limit at present, but we’re fairly close to overcoming it.

4. He mentions rapamycin, but as far as I can tell, he doesn’t take it himself. He doesn’t respond to emails so I’m not certain.

5. He mentions metformin as a life extender in the same sentence as rapamycin and I certainly disagree.

6. He’s taken numerous supplements over the years. At one count it was about 60 a day. He’s still going strong.

7. He makes an interesting point that if you want to be a healthy 200, you must first do the things required to be a healthy 100.

8. I’m looking forward to his educational material. I wish that he were a part of this forum.

9 Likes

Thank you for the reference. Excellent article and it gives me hope to live to 120 yrs at least.

“In particular, I have focused on the importance of controlling chronic inflammation for healthy aging”

Fortunately, I gleaned the importance of chronic inflammation many years ago and started using anti-inflammation supplements such as Boswellia serrata (Frankincense).

5 Likes

Jeanne Calment made history when she died at the age of 122 in 1997, but a new investigation claims her daughter actually assumed her identity in 1934. Was the World’s Oldest Person Ever Actually Her 99-Year-Old Daughter? Where are we getting the 120?

My great Aunt passed away at 106. I recall; she was a first-generation Sicilian living in the US, my grandfather’s sister; in fact, all his siblings (6 of them) lived well into their late 90s. She lived with her husband, that smoked two packs a day; she was a beautician into her 80s worked with hair dyes and chemicals. Her favorite meal was a burger, fries, and a shake, which she ate daily! Genetics! Can’t imagine if she took Rapa, and had a diet and exercise routine, maybe 120?

6 Likes
1 Kane Tanaka[4] F 2 January 1903 19 April 2022 119 years, 107 days Fukuoka Fukuoka
2 Nabi Tajima[4] F 4 August 1900 21 April 2018 117 years, 260 days Kagoshima Kagoshima
3 Chiyo Miyako[4] F 2 May 1901 22 July 2018 117 years, 81 days Wakayama Kanagawa
4 Misao Okawa[4] F 5 March 1898 1 April 2015 117 years, 27 days ĹŚsaka ĹŚsaka
5 Tane Ikai[5] F 18 January 1879 12 July 1995 116 years, 175 days Aichi Aichi

Full list below; verified by the Gerontology Research Group, based in LA, CA.

List of Japanese supercentenarians - Wikipedia.

Andrei Gudkov also opines that the cliff (as he calls it) is 120 years.

5 Likes

Boswellia is good.
You can keep the myrrh.
Send the gold to me!