Video "The Importance and Safety of High-Dose Vitamin D3"

Very good overview.

Presented by Ron Hunninghake, M.D.

Video at;

A copy of Dr. Ron’s slides:

Vitamin-D-presentation-final-10.23.19.pdf (1.6 MB)

To read Dr. Ron’s September 2019 article titled;

“Revolutionary High Dose Vitamin D Protocol for Autoimmunity, Obesity and Improved Sleep”:

https://riordanclinic.org/2019/09/revolutionary-high-dose-vitamin-d-protocol-for-autoimmunity-obesity-and-improved-sleep/

A copy of the handout Dr. Ron provided the audience:

Lifestyle180_and_MikeShaw (1).pdf (708.7 KB)

3 Likes

The video did not play and I glanced through the slides. I did not spot what the target serum 25OHD is for their protocol?

That really has to be the key question. You then need to titrate the dose of whatever to hit the target serum level.

I agree with the argument that more than 2000 iu a day is a good idea, but hypervitaminosis D is a known problem and I don’t think it is limited to only a few people with that sort of gene. It may be more of an issue for older people, however.

Still people should at least have some idea as to what serum levels they are going for before setting out on a journey to get there.

1 Like

I corrected the link to the video.

1 Like

Now that summer is ending, this is becoming more relevant to me. Thanks.

If you have not seen, review this other posting;

Do a search using " Coimbra’s Protocol"

Coimbra’s Protocol in not new.

2 Likes

Interesting fact that if you are in the sun all day you can produce 25,000 IU of vitamin D a day. No wonder I could barely reach minimum levels taking only 5000 IU daily. 800 IUs is a joke.

John Campbell has gone off the deep end so I have spent my time reading/watching other resources long ago.

3 Likes

I did get the impression that maybe he had gone extreme. However this video makes an interesting point if true.

The paper he references

1 Like

I only listen to people who seem to prioritize evidence over zealotry, and if they don’t I consider whatever they say to have a lower likelihood of being true. It is almost a waste of time to try and read and decode a single paper on this topic as you don’t know the context of the paper and the other literature. I don’t see the point either as you know what your vitamin D levels are and how it moves according to supplementation.

1 Like

I think John Campbell has encountered a reasonably valid point, but got a bit paranoid about it. In the mean time, however, we need to know what is the ideal serum 25OHD level and how much supplementation to take in any particular circumstance.

I have an answer to the latter question for myself.

1 Like

I am listening, what do you think is the ideal serum 25OHD levels and why?

1 Like

It seems to me that anyone that does NOT conform to your ideas is labeled as gone to deep end :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am for about 200 (UK values) because I think that is the sweet spot.

What is that measured in? ng/mL or nmol/L? That seems to be outside the reference range, why do you prefer to be there?

My baseline (no supplementation) for Vitamin D,25OH = 38ng/ml, Vitamin A = 52, Calcium= 10.1

After 5 weeks supplementing BlueBonnet brand 5,000IU (from fish liver oil) and BlueBonnet Vitamin A 10,000iu (from fish liver oil), and Vitamin K2 MK4 15mg BID my levels were Vitamin D = 83, Vitamin A = 73.

I should have stopped there but I increased Vitamin D to 10000IU/day for a few weeks in an attempt to get my level closer to 100. I was ready to start rapamycin so I did a CBC/CMP to recheck my baseline. I wasn’t ready to recheck vitamin D level yet but in retrospect I wish I would have. My calcium was 10.4. That’s above normal. My first reaction was thinking hyperparathyroid but then I remembered my megadose of Vitamin D. Rather than recheck any labs right away, I stopped Vitamin D for 2 weeks. Then restarted Vitamin D at 5000iu. I plan to take Vitamin D 5000iu and Vitamin A 10000iu, but only 5 days/week (mon-fri) for awhile. I did just recheck my calcium level a few days ago it was 10.3 so trending back the right way. I have since also added Vitamin k2 MK7 100mcg/day. Anyone interested in Vitamin D and A that works should check out BlueBonnet. Without rechecking, I’m not sure about Vitamin D, but I do remember I could not find another Vitamin A at that dose that was real vitamin A from fish oil.

I have not checked, but I think it is nmol/L. AFAIK it is at the top end of the reference range.