Vaccines for longevity

I’ve taken a course of chickenpox vaccines, recently instead of shingrix.

I had contracted chickenpox as a kid but these vaccines weren’t around then. But I took them assuming that they may confer some of the protective benefits of shingles vaccine until I am able to get me some shingrix.

Not long ago pop star Justin Bieber, 29, made headlines when he canceled an international tour after part of his face became paralyzed due to complications from shingles, an infection caused by the chickenpox virus and thought to affect only older adults. But the truth is, anyone can get shingles, and there’s some evidence that cases are increasing among adults under 50.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/premium/article/shingles-common-young-people-under-50

It’s literally a virus hiding in nerve cells, and it’s associated (or stronger) with alzheimer’s, you can’t make this up.

It is increasing over time, and note there is only about double the rate for 50-59 yr old vs. 30-39 yr old.
(from Shingles Facts and Stats | Shingles (Herpes Zoster) | CDC)

3 Likes

Thanks, this is very convincing.

Also, the lifetime risk is 33% (US CDC) and “one in five people with shingles will get post-herpetic neuralgia […] Many people with post-herpetic neuralgia make a full recovery within a year. But symptoms occasionally last for several years or may be permanent.” (UK NHS). The US CDC recommends vaccination for all immunocompromised adults (vs only > 50 in many other countries).

So the case for shingles vaccination is very strong. Even more so for those taking rapamycin?

1 Like

Here is just one example Vaccine Prices - Theydon Pharmacy

Do they offer it to people younger than 50? (I’ve just emailed them to ask but in case you know already)

I just Google searched “shingles vaccine near me”. I don’t know about this one, but usually private don’t worry about age as much as the NHS who are rationing resources at where it’ll be most effective.

1 Like

Yes but in the EU (and therefore the UK as it was before Brexit), Zostavax and Shingrix were only approved in adults above 50 (Shingrix was also approved “from the age of 18 years and over in adults who are at increased risk of herpes zoster”).

I asked my doctor (in the US) about the shingles vaccine. I was told currently it was not available until age 50.

2 Likes

The optimal schedule for protection according to a vaccine clinic I’ve used is:

1. Newer Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, protects against 20 variants (Prevnar 20), T-cell immunity, long-term
  2. 8 weeks later older Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine, protects against 23 variants (Pneumovax 23), no T-cell immunity, to boost response to common protected variants.

The other order isn’t recommended.

CDC says it isn’t necessary, but I wonder if it’s optimal to follow up with the polysaccharide vaccine, this link also seemingly on all decision paths depending on which vaccine, what time, etc… No clue how they figured this out. :rofl: seems complicated.

Based pfizer.

1 Like

So, the optimal vaccines for longevity are:

1. Seasonal flu shots (yearly)
  2. Shingles vaccine (once?)
  3. pneumococcal vaccine (Prevnar) (once?)

Am I missing any others?

A lot suggests covid hits a lot of bad aging pathways

This Lancet paper just out today is an example of hundreds of papers

SARS-CoV-2 infection as a cause of neurodegeneration

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(24)00178-9/abstract

Full paper here

4 Likes

Its available from India for around 8500 rupees ($102 US), but I suspect it needs refrigeration (not sure how well it would travel from India or if it would spoil).

1 Like

So here’s the dea-lio, since I just turned 66
… many vaccine shots mentioned would not be covered by insurance… unless you’re at least 60 some 65 years old, meaning you want it… under 65… it is out of your pocket.

So, since covered by insurance, in January, I ended up getting shingrex, which is 2 shots. They cost a total of $600. The pneumonia shot was about $400. Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) … another $350. I was floored almost $1,400 for the 4 shots at the local grocery store/pharmacy.

2 Likes

If you went to India to get those shots, you could probably get them all for $20 with a few months supply of Rapamycin thrown in to boot! :wink:

J/K. I don’t know the Indian prices. But, I’ll investigate Hong Kong which is cheaper but not as cheap.

1 Like

To be clear, you’re saying the amount the pharmacy billed was a total of $1,400 – but I assume since you are insured you paid nothing. I was under the impression that the Affordable Care Act requires requires most plans to cover any vaccine recommended by the CDC.

1 Like

I would do all the vaccines recommended in at least one developed country: Vaccines for longevity - #25 by adssx

So for each vaccine, follow the more “pro vaccine” guideline.

2 Likes

Also just published: SARS-CoV-2 infection exacerbates the cellular pathology of Parkinson’s disease in human dopaminergic neurons and a mouse model 2024

2 Likes

Correct… I was given the cost forms for each vaccine… what insurance is billed.

It showed up as cost and paid on my Anthem Blue Cross statement. Not charged even a co-pay… all covered free.

But for Shingles vaccine you must be 65 years.

Pneumonia must be over 65 years too.

RSV… must be 60 years or older.

1 Like

I contacted them: “Yes, for private shingles vaccines, the minimum age is 65.”

So it’s indeed next to impossible to get the shingles vaccine in the UK below age 65 (let alone below 50).

1 Like

I am 55. Got my first shot of Shingrix in Bangkok and the second shot in London. Think I could have taken both in the UK. Can give you the name of the pharmacy if you like

1 Like