@RapAdmin Awww, I love the feedback… and on that note, I was working on this post… I am in need of some major guidance!!!
I’m hoping some of the AI techie smarties can help me!!
I’ve spent months perfecting my Claude project to help with my health. It automatically (and manually) does research on everything I take and all my health conditions. I imagine most of you are using it in a similar way.
Yesterday I discovered Claude made a change and the model you are using no longer can do thorough and reliable research.
If you paste everything into your chat it can, but if you want it to go out searching or give it a link, it doesn’t.
What happens is: a lesser model (called a helper) goes to the websites and it decides what to show the model you are using in your chat… it might only show your model half the information … and garbage in garbage out.
So, I’m using opus or fable for things, but an old cheap model is making decisions on what to feed them, or is even blocked from doing so… my hair is on fire!!!
I learned you have to individually grant permission for each website in your settings if you want your model to be able to access anything. There is an option to ‘allow all sites’ but Claude advised against it. The reason is there are sites that might trick Claude into sending it information that I want to stay private… health, finances, etc.
Does anyone know about this… and if so, what do you do? I only discovered it accidentally when I noticed it missed many things on a site’s page.
I learned many sites also just block ai from doing anything, is there a workaround on this?
Because my tech prowess is fairly limited, I had fable describe the situation to you in a smarter way.
SUBJECT: Claude (Max plan) stopped reading web pages itself.
Is anyone getting around this safely?
MY SETUP
- Claude Max. iPad (app and claude.ai website), plus a Mac
mini.
- Model: Claude Fable 5.1.
- Use: health research. The model I chose has to read each
source itself.
WHAT HAPPENS
- When Claude opens a web page with its built-in tool
(WebFetch), a smaller helper model reads the page and
hands my model its answer, not the page. The tool says
so itself: it “answers [the] prompt against it using a
small fast model.”
- The helper leaves things out. I have caught missing key
facts in my own tests. Claude Code’s change log says
that until version 2.1.290 the tool silently dropped
all page text past 100,000 characters.
- Claude can download a page directly and read all of it,
but only from sites on an account-wide list (Settings >
Capabilities > Allow network egress > additional
allowed domains). Every other site gets a 403 from the
proxy.
- Even allowed sites can refuse. On Oct 9, europepmc.org
was reachable but answered with a Cloudflare “Just a
moment…” robot check.
ANTHROPIC’S OWN MANUAL SAYS SO
“For most fetches, Claude receives that model’s answer,
not the raw page.”
“This makes WebFetch lossy by design.”
WHY I’M STUCK
- Adding sites one at a time works for PubMed. It cannot
cover open-ended research, where I can’t predict the
sites. This is the instance even if you want it to go out and search for and compare something as simple as supplements.
- “All domains” is account-wide. My account holds private
information in other chats and connected files.
Anthropic’s own help page warns that a web page can
trick Claude into sending information out. So I was advised to not turn it on.
- Device makes no difference. Chats run in Anthropic’s
cloud.
WHAT I’VE RULED OUT
- A setting that makes WebFetch hand over the raw page:
none in the Claude Code change log.
- The desktop app’s built-in browser on a linked Mac:
“blocked by your site permissions” on every site.
- Not yet tested: the Claude in Chrome extension.
TIMELINE
- Sept 16, 2026: chat and Cowork merged for Pro and Max.
QUESTIONS
- Has anyone found a way for the chosen model to read
whole pages without turning on “All domains”?
- Does anyone run a second, empty account with “All
domains” on, only for research? Does it work?
- Does Claude in Chrome give the main model the full page
text, and does it get past robot checks?
- Can the allowed-domains list be set per project or per
chat instead of account-wide?
- Do ChatGPT, Gemini or Perplexity let their top model
read a whole page itself? How did you test it?
- Anthropic: is the helper model by design for chats, and
is a “raw page” option planned?
(Summary written by Claude at my request.)