Unhealthy pesticide levels in 20% of US produce (Consumer Reports)

This is in the news everywhere today… this is why I try to buy organic in some classes of vegetables and fruits, but even that may be problematic as shown below:

Some of your favorite produce might be dicier to eat than assumed. An analysis from Consumer Reports published Thursday suggests that a substantial portion of commonly sold fruits and vegetables have a significant risk of exposure to dangerous pesticides—around 20%. Bell peppers, watermelons, and blueberries were some of the most exposed produce.

Produce Without Pesticides

Some of our favorite fruits and vegetables carry unhealthy levels of chemicals. CR’s exclusive ratings reveal how to get the benefits from these foods while minimizing your risk.

Consumer Reports, which has tracked the use of pesticides on produce for decades, has seen this pattern repeat itself over and over. “It’s two steps forward and one step back—and sometimes even two steps back,” says James E. Rogers, PhD, who oversees food safety at CR.

To get a sense of the current situation, CR recently conducted our most comprehensive review ever of pesticides in food. To do it, we analyzed seven years of data from the Department of Agriculture, which each year tests a selection of conventional and organic produce grown in or imported to the U.S. for pesticide residues. We looked at 59 common fruits and vegetables, including, in some cases, not just fresh versions but also canned, dried, or frozen ones.

Our new results continue to raise red flags. Pesticides posed significant risks in 20 percent of the foods we examined, including popular choices such as bell peppers, blueberries, green beans, potatoes, and strawberries. One food, green beans, had residues of a pesticide that hasn’t been allowed to be used on the vegetable in the U.S. for over a decade. And imported produce, especially some from Mexico, was particularly likely to carry risky levels of pesticide residues.

But CR’s scientists think many EPA tolerances are set too high. That’s why we use lower limits for pesticides that can harm the body’s neurological system or are suspected endocrine disruptors (meaning they may mimic or interfere with the body’s hormones). CR’s approach also accounts for the possibility that other health risks may emerge as we learn more about these chemicals.

“The way the EPA assesses pesticide risk doesn’t reflect cutting-edge science and can’t account for all the ways the chemicals might affect people’s health, especially given that people are often exposed to multiple pesticides at a time,” says CR senior scientist Michael Hansen, PhD. “So we take a precautionary approach to make sure we don’t underestimate risks.”

Take away:

Fruits with risky pesticides

The following fruits were of most concern for Consumer Reports:

Blueberries

About 20% of domestic conventionally grown samples had residue of phosmet, “a pesticide that the EPA considers a particular risk to children,” Consumer Reports says. It’s in the organophosphate class of chemicals.

Conventional frozen blueberries also posed a very high risk, the organization says.

It recommends organic blueberries or organic strawberries as a better choice.

Watermelon

About 3% of domestic conventionally grown samples tested positive for oxamyl, the same chemical found on peppers, at levels “far above” what Consumer Reports considers safe.

“We suggest that if you’re concerned, since it’s a high-risk pesticide, switch to cantaloupe,” Rogers says.

Vegetables with risky pesticides

The following vegetables were of most concern for Consumer Reports:

Bell peppers

Almost half of all domestic conventionally grown samples tested positive for oxamyl — part of the carbamate class of chemicals — or its breakdown product, oxamyl oxime, according to Consumer Reports. The organization warns oxamyl has potential for serious health risks.

It recommends buying organic or eating peppers sparingly, including hot peppers, which CR says also pose a high risk.

Potatoes

Almost all domestic conventionally grown samples had residue of chlorpropham, another carbamate pesticide, Consumer Reports says. Organic potatoes also showed some contamination.

That’s why sweet potatoes are a better choice — they’re low risk, in addition to their excellent nutrition, the organization advises.

Green beans

About 4% of domestic conventionally grown samples had residue of acephate or one of its breakdown products, methamidophos, even though the EPA banned acephate for use on the vegetable in 2011, Consumer Reports says.

Organic green beans grown in the U.S. and snow peas are a better choice.

Kale and mustard greens

It recommends choosing organic kale and mustard greens instead, as well as broccoli, fresh spinach or lettuce.

Full story - open access:

https://www.consumerreports.org/health/food-contaminants/produce-without-pesticides-a5260230325/

News reports on this report:

Vegetable Ratings:

Related:

5 Likes

Pretty important stuff to be aware of. We incidentally grow sprouts and some of our veggies via a Gardyn-2 (brand name) system which is an indoor hydroponic device that has 30 plants vertically and requires just 2 ft x 1 ft space.
The problem with virtually all thresholds for things with EPA, whether it be pesticides, food additives, or other environmental/packaging items - is that each is tested in isolation - assuming this is the only similar molecule you might be getting exposed to.
The reality is, you might be getting exposed to the same or similar chemical 50 different places, and be quite toxic, but on the one exposure source be under the threshold.
One of the OTC tests for some of these - for PFAS is available by EmpowerDxLab.com … they have some nice direct to consumer stuff. I use them for my ApoE, MTHFR and PFAS testing (I have no commercial relationship with them — just like what they are doing). There are cheaper sources for some tests - but their PFAS exposure and Glyphosate tests are pretty similar to the cheapest I can get via physician order.

2 Likes

Does the gardyn contain microplastics

That’s a really good question. They use food grade plastics, and everything that runs through it is cool. These things decrease risk -as well as it being filtered by the rockwool before the plants can take up the water. I’m not sure we can fully escape the exposures, but I don’t see any solid comparison of things grown in this system vs. organic in the dirt.
As far as PFAS/BPAs we should be fine - but microplastics is a real challenge.

@Bicep given your experience with farming, what is your take on this new information? Do you see any actionable information from this type of report?

It seems to me that given the summary data that this is based on, it may be a general guide in some areas (like it seems from what I’ve read that products from Mexico may be of higher risk than the US), but given that the data is from summarized information and there will be wide variances between different farms and farming corporations, that the individual differences between the sources might make the data less than ideally helpful. In other words, the “average” blueberries from sources may have unacceptable levels of pesticides still on the fruit, there may be a large variation between sources but we don’t have that information.

So while we can take simple precautions like avoid non-organic may be helpful on average, we may be missing out on lower cost fruit from farms that are more deliberate in their pesticide use?

Pesticides are a miracle for the farmer. The pest disappears and you have attractive product and higher yield. I know organic people that are going broke, or making no money but still working hard because they believe in it. It’s crazy. Most people don’t want to pay more for something that looks small or bruised. Insects do mechanical damage and also spread plant diseases. You can’t pick them off.

If the pesticide is actually a health hazard then local organic is the way to go but be ready to pay.

I don’t like either of the insecticides above and don’t use them. I’m sure there are newer and safer options, but maybe not in Mexico? Hard to believe. More likely the newer safer stuff is more expensive.

So my take would be that produce can be grown with safer pesticides that will be a good deal all around. I don’t know how to make farmers do that though, especially if they have to compete with imports that have no regulation.

2 Likes
1 Like