Transdermal rapamycin

I am just getting started with rapamycin although I have had some compounded 6 mg rapamycin pills for six months meant for twice per month senolytic treatment. I never noticed any effect until I took 2x6 mg on alternate weekends and my osteoarthritis seemed to improve for about two weeks. I of course ran out of rapamycin so looked for a new source…

My son found me a supply of 0.001% transdermal rapamycin so I tried right after Christmas using by 5g of cream or 5 mg effective as my first dosage. I had also drank too much egg nogg the night before so when my weight and blood sugar shot up (8 lbs. and +30 mg/dL, respectively) I thought it was the egg nogg. But my blood sugar kept coming back for the next week at ~110 mg/dL which is normally around 80-85. My BS eventually came down so I smeared 3 grams on my skin for a 3 mg dose. The next day my blood sugar was at 117!!! Then like a good scientist I did my homework after the fact:-) First, my 12 mg of compounded Rap was likely around 0.4 mg absorbed after taking into account 14-18% bioavailability of the Sirolimus acid stabilized pills and an additional 75% loss from stomach acid attack on the unprotected compounded rapamycin. if I assume 100% bioavailability of the transdermal rapamycin then my first dosage of 5 mg would have been like me taking 111 mg of my compounded rapamycin or 28 mg of Sirolimus! 111 mg = 5mg/(.25*.18). Mice fed this much rapamycin also spiked their blood sugar due to increased glyconeogenesis according to the study.

The only thing I have noticed is that my energy levels went from high to super high and my mind seemed tuned up. I’m 59 years old and never nap unless sick and don’t feel tired even at bed time although I sleep well. I burn off about 1500 calories per day in exercise so for me to see an energy gain was surprising.

Any thoughts?

2 Likes

Intersting experience. I think it would be really helpful to get some blood/sirolimus tests to see what your blood levels are… ideally peak levels perhaps a few hours after you started using the transdermal rapamycin, and a few days later: How to get a Rapamycin (sirolimus) Blood Level Test

Its impossible to know what the bioavailability of rapamycin delivery this way is without any testing. But it would be interesting to find out.

3 Likes

Hi. Can you post the references where you showed the 1/2 lives of rapamycin?

Are you talking about this graph (please note that there is significant variation in rapamycin 1/2 life in people, varying by age, gender, race, health status, etc…

Peak Blood Sirolimus Level Test (tMax)

People also test the highest level (tMax) of sirolimus in their blood - the “Peak” blood sirolimus levels. The peak blood level of sirolimus is actually quite hard to identify precisely, because it it varies by person, and is such a sharp spike - as can be seen below. Typically peak blood sirolimus levels are around 45 minutes to 1 hour after dosing, but then drops very rapidly. Frequently at the Labcorp offices that provide the blood test, user experiences are that you can sometimes wait 30 minutes to an hour after your arrival at the office, before getting the blood test, and so the test may or may not reflect the actual peak level.

Yes, that is the chart and table I am interested in obtaining the reference. I would think it would be best to schedule your blood draw about 70-80 hrs in to measure at the expected half-life. Thus you are at a standardized time where the slop is gentle. Initial values are almost always difficult. I’d like to do this test with all three of my sources of Rap. Transdermal, standard Sirolimus pill, and compounded Sirolimus. Perhaps four as I don’t know the equivalent “dosage” for the Transdermal. Cane anyone tell me about a transdermal base cream that would be supplied to a pharmacy to compound into by the designation “in LIPO”?

2 Likes