Thinking about mTOR

I’ve been thinking about mTOR. On average, how many mTOR receptors are there in cells?
Do different tissues in the body have different numbers of mTOR receptors. What is the difference in the number of mTOR receptors in cells of healthy people vs unhealthy people (if any)? Difference in the number of mTOR receptors in young vs elderly people (or animals)? Can we effectively measure the number of mTOR receptors in a cell(s)…?

2 Likes

Great questions. It would help if we know what the big difference is between health young people vs. a healthy older population so we have some metric to start guessing better. Supra physiologic levels of RAPA may be appropriate, but duplicating mTOR modulation of the young would be a good place to start!

Yes, these are great questions. Is there any way to measure it?

I don’t know…that’s why I’m reaching out to the forum with the questions.

Agree, great questions, but at this point, does it matter? How would it change our current use of Rapa?
I’d be more interested in time lines. How long can you impact mtorc1 before messing with mtorc2?

1 Like

Yes - this is the key question… understanding the variables and timing that influence the suppression of mTORC2

I think Dr. Ross may be onto something here. Unfortunately I don’t have the answers.

The person to ask is David M. Sabatini - The mTOR Master.

https://www.davidmsabatini.com/

1 Like

I think it was Lloyd Klickstein with Attia that said it was in the thousands. Just going by memory here. Also he said he didn’t know twice before putting it in that range.

Must be really hard to measure.