The Secret of Living to 100. It's in Your Genes

I’d say if you’re using Rapamycin, you can shift the percentages in the snippet below down a level and have a 75% chance of living to 112 if you have the right genes.

About 25% of your ability to live to 90 is determined by genetics, says Dr. Thomas Perls, a professor of medicine at Boston University who leads the New England Centenarian Study, which has followed centenarians and their family members since 1995. By age 100, it’s roughly 50% genetic, he estimates, and by around 106, it’s 75%.

Full text of article here: https://archive.ph/f0QRV

4 Likes

And stay positive and social!

“Super-agers,” or people over the age of 80 whose cognitive abilities are on par with those 20 to 30 years younger, reported having more warm, trusting, high-quality relationships with other people than cognitively normal participants, investigators at Northwestern University found.
“Keeping in good relationships could be one key to healthspan,” says Amanda Cook Maher, a neuropsychologist at the University of Michigan and lead author of the study.

4 Likes

I’m a cantankerous loner. No kids.
Looks like I have little chance of making it to 100.

But then, my great-grandfather lived with his cat (after his wife died) and made it to 95. If his dinner wasn’t on the table by exactly 6 PM he’d refuse it and eat bread and cheese instead.

So maybe there’s hope yet for me. LOL

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m counting on that. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I wonder if this isn’t just a proxy for activity level. Antisocial people don’t leave their house.

2 Likes

Perhaps that is part of it, but I also suspect it relates to stress hormones (positive relationships are likely to result in lower cortisol / glucocorticoid levels, etc.), cognitive engagement, sense of purpose, … lots of things I imagine.

1 Like

I think you mean asocial, not antisocial. That is related to violent crime mostly.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s not just a proxy for activity. The mind is powerful. We talk about the placebo effect like it’s no big deal, but to me it’s one of the most fascinating phenomena known to man. You can think yourself well.

4 Likes

Yes. I’ve heard that the placebo effect can deliver 30% of the expected effects just through sheet belief!

That’s unbelievable! :wink:

4 Likes

I think you’re susceptible :wink:

1 Like

I hope so. If I can trick myself into being healthier and living longer, I am all for it.

6 Likes

Laugh about it if you want, Western science is powerless to explain it.

2 Likes

Yes; that accurately sums me up. I don’t “need” other people. I happily live on my own. Do my own thing. I “tolerate” required gatherings such as special birthdays, funerals, etc but I’m always glancing at my watch wondering how soon I can leave.
I’ve never had a desire to commit crimes or harm others.
“Asocial” is me!

4 Likes

@ DrT I find it quite normal. I also enjoy living alone and do my own things, but I need friends to socialize and talk from time to time. I don’t tolerate crowds and big gatherings. Living alone without feeling lonely creates healthy environment with less stress. My mother, 91 now, has been living alone for over 40 years and is pretty happy about it.

5 Likes

Actually he died of a strangulated hernia, which, in this day and age, might have been treated. (Not in 1935.) Who knows how much longer he could have lasted?

I do hope science finds a way to address the seemingly fixed 25% genetic component. My genetics are downright awful, which makes my dream of 100+ a bit of a delusion. However at 39, I hope there’s time for progress on the genetic front. I take 12 mg/day astaxanthin, based on mouse studies suggesting it activates the FOXO gene. But for now, I ought to pair my rapamycin with a more positive outlook :grimacing:

3 Likes