The four best longevity interventions?

My current aging hypothesis is that there are two systemic drivers of aging. One is the quality of mitochondria and the other is senescent cells. Both feed undermine gene expression which undermines both autophagy and senescent cells (in the sense of holding back autophagy and also making more senescent cells).

On that basis rapamycin would help in improving mitochondrial quality. If the mitochondria are already not that bad it would not be an issue.

6 Likes

But why only rely on “radical life extension” and skip all other interventions? I don’t really understand this approach. I will take a conversation with him regarding this.

5 Likes

Unless he’s particularly confident about the effectiveness of some of the more ‘radical’ approaches and believes they will be available in the near future…….

3 Likes

As Dr. Peter Attia states in his YouTube Nutrition podcast with Matt Kaeberlein… you are your most important investment - hedge all your options - make no sense to not do rapamycin while looking for something to do more.

No wonder he looks so old - he is. Hahaha!

3 Likes

If I remember correctly, when Rhonda Patrick met Aubrey he was drinking three pints of beer, she told that story somewhere. I think she was shocked?

On another note, I think Dr. Patrick is a biohacker but optimizing all the wrong stuff. Almost never mentions apoB or its importance, for instance.

4 Likes

Yes, i have hung out with Aubrey in a bar once when we met up both trying to get money from an eccentric old billionaire in Phoenix. Aubrey is very British and enjoys his beer. But he is also very thin. He’s probably close to calorie restriction. It seems that most longevity researchers are pretty thin…

8 Likes

Hahaha - Me and I am sure several others on your site would relish an evening in a bar with you RapAdmin.

No doubt you have some fun stories to tell. I do get to the Arizona and California regions every now and then to give lectures on medical history… what area are you from or at… in case I am in the neighborhood. ;p

Or better yet might be fun to have a weekend meet up some time in summer … say California? There are several people that would be fun to see in person.

3 Likes

Ha, ha, ah you look great… anyway!!!

1 Like

Yes, he had a pint of bitter when I met him.
I too am very curious why he isn’t taking rapamycin.

I also noticed that many longevity researchers are thin. They are thin and they are comparatively young. Does lower body weight contribute to longevity when you are young? Is it the same for 60+ population?Or the curve changes? Is it more beneficial in terms of longevity to gain weight if you are 60+? My weight is pretty low (109lb at 5’3” height). I feel comfortable with this weight, but many comment that I’m thin. In fact I’m the thinnest among all my 60+ girlfriends. I struggle with dilemma: to gain or not to gain - that is the question.

4 Likes

Ha, ha, ah you look great… anyway!!!

Hey thanks pup!
An old dog… learning new tricks.

1 Like

As a Brit, I can attest to the fact that for lots of people in UK drinking is a big part of the culture. I recently went back for a vacation after living for years in the states and met up with a few old friends and I was horrified at the amount they drink, but it’s just part of the social fabric over there, at least for a certain generation.
Aubrey strikes me as an eccentric. He’s also incredibly dogmatic about his accumulative damage theory of aging. Probably, he’s convinced himself science will find treatments that can reverse all of the damage he’s undoubtedly doing to his liver. I’m not sure if I was in his shoes I’d take that bet, but I think his personality has allowed him to make the progress he’s made in the longevity community. When he first arrived on the scene, a lot of respected scientists got together and published a letter calling him a ‘quack’… since then, he’s helped to fund a lot of their research projects. He strikes me as an ‘all or nothing’ type of person. It’s why he’s been successful.

4 Likes

I am sitting in a pub in the UK I have drunk quite a bit. I know the effects of alcohol in skme detail. I just bought some more lager to wash down some of my small molecule gene expression supplements. My view is that the damage from alcohol can be reversed.

3 Likes

Cheers. May not add years to life, but adds life to years.

I hold the same view for other indulgences - chocolate, ice cream.

Three pints (48 ounces) is about four US cans. There is no indication that Aubrey drinks that amount everyday. It may be just the company. I take about three cans myself when with friends; only one can a day when at home.

2 Likes

If you haven’t heard Peter Attia with Steve Austad, you should listen to it. It’s number 171. He says calorie restriction only works if you are overweight and have a crap diet. That’s my interpretation.

So if you gain by eating cake and drinking SSB (sweetened beverages), this will not add to your longevity. If having an extra egg for breakfast happens to make you gain weight, don’t worry about it.

This is just my take.

5 Likes

I am more concerned about chocolate or ice cream. It is all about energy input. Cocoa is good for copper, but watch the sugar.

1 Like

Just saw a recent picture of him and he does not look like he is aging well.

1 Like

I think I know the answer. When i met him at NASA Ames in 2009, he drank the pint whilst giving a presentation. It was very much part of his persona, and I chatted to him about it afterwards (as a fellow Brit I was in interested where we he got decent Bitter in California.) And he explained that it helped him to have an eccentric persona for fundraising. He also likes beer …

2 Likes

Yes, he’s overdoing the Methuselah vibe…

1 Like

Agree with the attempt at the Methuselah vibe. He’s only 59 years old. Looks like Rasputin to me, though.

4 Likes