The consumption of live akkermansia led to further liver enlargement, significantly increased fasting blood glucose levels, and exacerbated insulin resistance

https://tdr.lib.ntu.edu.tw/jspui/handle/123456789/91516

The results indicate that the therapeutic efficacy of A. muciniphila in NASH is limited and may even worsen the disease. Both live and pasteurized standard strain significantly increased body weight gain and worsen the severity of NASH in the liver. Furthermore, the consumption of live NTUH_Amu01 and the standard strain led to further liver enlargement, significantly increased fasting blood glucose levels, and exacerbated insulin resistance. Interestingly, the pasteurized standard strain exhibited partial anti-inflammatory effects by significantly reducing the levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines TNF-α and IL-6 in the liver and partially inhibiting the activation of the NLRP3 inflammasome pathway.

1 Like

Is this the same kind of Akkermansia found in the Pendulum brand?

2 Likes

Well this is not good news if I’m understanding this correctly.

4 Likes

My hba1c has fallen dramatically during the time I have been taking akkermansia. I don’t know if akkermansia is the reason it fell, but my fasting blood glucose did not increase as described in the paper while my overall blood glucose was down considerably: hba1c 5.5 -->5.0. This is the lowest I have seen in 15 years.

I don’t have fatty liver disease nor has my weight increased.

6 Likes

The conclusion is qualified - only for NASH .

In conclusion, A. muciniphila may not be suitable as a therapeutic supplement for NASH, and the use of live A. muciniphila could even exacerbate NASH. Therefore, further research is needed to ensure its health benefits and safety.

You have to have non-alcoholic fatty liver, which may progress to NASH if left untreated.

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is one of the most prevalent chronic liver diseases worldwide, affecting approximately 30% of the global population. If left untreated, NAFLD can progress to non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), cirrhosis, and hepatocellular carcinoma.

2 Likes

May I ask what brand are you taking to get such a dramatic response?

Pendulum Life

I buy directly from the company site. I can provide a 30% off code to anyone. I will also get 30% off if I understand the program. You’ll have to give me your email address so I can give to pendulum.

1 Like

Unfortunately I have been gaining weight since taking Akkermansia. To be fair, I’ve been on holiday and walking less and eating more carbs. However I had been stable for quite a while.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Are you buying Akkermansia or Glucose control? I am currently taking Akkermansia from Pendulum but was planning to switch to Glucose Control (for a larger amount of Akkermansia) when my current supply runs out.

I would like to know how dose dependent the active ingredients impact is on A1C.

1 Like

Thanks for asking this question. I am eager to hear the response

1 Like

I am using the Akkermansia product…the middle one. My HbA1c dropped 0.6

3 Likes

Here is the reply to my query, from the Pendulum Chief Medical Officer:

‘This data was generated using an apparently new strain that has not been extensively studied. The results also run counter to those seen in other studies where Akkermansia levels have been shown to be inversely correlated with obesity, weight gain, glucose control in both rodents and humans. While more limited and variable, there are multiple rodent studies suggesting that increasing Akkermansia is beneficial in NASH/NAFLD models. In addition, it is generally accepted that Akkermansia stimulates GLP-1 secretion which may be relevant as there is emerging human data showing significant benefit from the GLP-1 drugs in NASH/NAFLD.’

3 Likes