The anti-inflammatory drug Montelukast

Has anyone looked into this drug in-depth? It looks interesting.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0014299922001534

More resources: https://mylongevityjourney.blogspot.com/2023/04/leukotriene-inhibitors.html

and, from For Researchers | Cognitive Vitality | Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation

Montelukast-Cognitive-Vitality-For-Researchers.pdf (329.3 KB)

6 Likes

Less than $0.02/tablet from Indiamart.com. Even in USA, Goodrx.com reports 90 tablets cost under $15.

You need 2-3 tablets/day for the brain and prostate anti-inflammation benefits.

3 Likes

I’m familiar with it as an asthma controller and always thought in the back of my mind that it seemed potentially promising for many reasons but tbh I never took the time to look into it more. This write up is a goldmine. I saved it and will be giving serious consideration to adding it to my personal longevity stack in the near future. Thank you for the information sir!

3 Likes

Thank you! My 83 year old mom is having memory issues. I will take a look. Are there any other medications I should be investigating?

1 Like

My 81-year-old mom has had strong results on Intermittent Rapamycin Therapy(GFJ-EVOO-2mg once per week).
She was displaying short-term memory problems. 18 months on Rapa, some observational improvement, but not a cure.

2 Likes

Some risk of mental health problems (see incidences below), but looked like a good risk reward to me (I have neuroinflammation from MS).

Neuropsychiatric reactions with the use of montelukast | The BMJ

From Montelukast (Singulair): reminder of the risk of neuropsychiatric reactions - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Reported neuropsychiatric reactions

A range of neuropsychiatric reactions has been reported in association with montelukast. Among these are: sleep disturbances, depression and agitation (may affect up to 1 in 100 people taking montelukast); disturbances of attention or memory (up to 1 in 1,000 people); and very rarely, hallucinations and suicidal behaviour (up to 1 in 10,000 people). See the Summary of Product Characteristics and the Patient Information Leaflet for full details.

But for me the benefits: potentially interesting for remyelination:

A targeted extracellular vesicles loaded with montelukast in the treatment of demyelinating diseases

4 Likes

Aren’t these side effects predominantly associated with children?

1 Like

Even better - but I’m not sure. They’re rare enough for me to not worry too much. Being aware will make me vigilant and I’ll stop if there are any signs.

See the full list here: and, from For Researchers | Cognitive Vitality | Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation

1 Like

I had pretty bad seasonal allergies as a child and was prescribed monteleukast/Singulair. I don’t think I was on it that long, but my allergies went away even after I stopped taking it.

A couple years back I convinced an NP to prescribe me monteleukast for symptoms of stomach inflammation that I’d been dealing with for two years at that point. I only took it for a month or two because any benefits seemed to be marginal, so I still have a huge bottle of monteleukast in the cabinet.

My lady has pretty bad allergies so I’ll give her some now and then. It gives her rapid relief but doesn’t last for long. I’m aware of the black box warning, but I never noticed any neuropsychiatric changes from it. Although I guess given their rarity that’s not surprising.

3 Likes

Thank you for the reminder about montelukast. I’ve been taking it for years for the generalized anti-inflammatory effect.

I have a history of asthma so my insurance pays for it. However I think it fell down behind a counter and I haven’t been taking it lately. I need to get back on it.

3 Likes

Have ordered some from India. From your personal experience, have you noticed anti inflammatory effects apart from lungs?

Also look into Plasmalogens, particularly the high dose version (900mg/dose) sold by Prodrome Sciences, discussed in various threads here : Breaking Autism Q&A with Dr. Dayan Goodenowe: Insights and Solutions for Families Living with Autism (free for this month!) discusses plasmalogens and neuroinflammation!

I just ordered the $500 Plasmalogen blood test kit for myself and my wife (64 & 71) and plan to use Plasmalogens if deficient along with Montelukast 2x10mg/day that is on order from Indiamart.

For your mother who already has neurological symptoms, I would postpone the blood test and do the 1 month loading dosage of 3600mg/day for both versions (Omega-3 and Omega-9) : symptoms should improve within that time period if the issue is Plasmalogen deficiency. Based on list price this is $36/day (for 7200mg/day total), but you can find practitioners selling at discounts that reduces that to $21.60 /day (+ sales tax). The maintenance dose after 1-3 months of the loading dose would be 1/4 of that, $5.40/day (less if you don’t need both versions, based on the $500 blood test).

1 Like

@RapAdmin, A long but interesting paper that I’ll bring up with my PCP. I take a couple of antihistamines for sleep, such as Benedryl, whose long-term use has been implicated in cognitive impairment. Montelukast may be effective as an antidote.