TA-65 and Rapamycin

I have looked at the benefits of TA-65, and wonder if it increase the potency of Rapamycin, has anyone had any experience with taking both?

Do you have any human research studies that show that it actually works in humans?
Otherwise, it just looks like another expensive supplement that may work in the lab.

1 Like

I see no reason why it would interact with rapamycin at all.

Telomeres and mTOR are very distinct and separate biological factors. Plus, it doesn’t seem that TA-65 is likely worth the money. I talked to Matt Kaeberlein about it and his comment was its been around for years, little positive data, probably not significant in helping longevity. But if the money investment is minimal to you, it may be worth a try.

TA-65 is a dietary supplement based on an improved formulation of a small molecule telomerase activator that was discovered in a systematic screening of natural product extracts from traditional Chinese medicines. This study summarizes the findings on telomere length (TL) changes from a randomized, double blind, placebo controlled study of TA-65 over a 1 year period. The study was conducted on 117 relatively healthy cytomegalovirus-positive subjects aged 53–87 years old. Subjects taking the low dose of TA-65 (250 U) significantly increased TL over the 12 months period (530 ± 180 bp; p = 0.005), whereas subjects in the placebo group significantly lost TL (290 ± 100 bp; p = 0.01). The high dose of TA-65 (1000 U) showed a trend of improvements in TL compared with that of the placebo group; however, the improvements did not reach statistical significance. TL changes in the low-dose group were similar for both median and 20th percentile TLs.

Source:

A messy history, for sure…

Calvin Harley, president of Telome Health in Menlo Park, spearheaded the studies as chief scientific officer at Geron. He stands by the conclusion that TA-65 is a “weak telomerase activator”. However, TA Sciences sells the pill as a nutritional supplement, or ‘nutraceutical’, rather than a drug, so the firm’s health claims have not been evaluated by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Lawsuit challenges anti-ageing claims

https://www.nature.com/articles/488018a

2 Likes

Thank you for the response, I won’t waste my money

you could test and see if you telomeres are short

and then if you decide to try TA 65 you have a base line against which you can do N=1 clinical “trial” and then re-measure after taking TA 65 for a while.

I looked at this a while back and believe this might be the best telomere test (and saw recently that Bryan Johnson’s team have done the test on him fwiw)

1 Like