Supplement lowers risk of higher glucose caused by blood-pressure drug

Perhaps of interest… could this be used in other situations to lower blood glucose?

Combination of potassium, magnesium, and citrate reduces elevated blood sugar from thiazide diuretics, UTSW researchers find

Millions of Americans take thiazide diuretics, a class of medications used to treat high blood pressure, a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Although these drugs are very effective, Dr. Vongpatanasin said, they come with significant side effects, including reduced levels of the electrolyte potassium in the blood; higher cholesterol, triglycerides, and other circulating lipids; and elevated glucose (blood sugar), a precursor to Type 2 diabetes.

The increase in glucose prompted by these drugs has long been attributed to the decrease in potassium levels. Although low potassium is effectively treated with potassium chloride (KCl) supplements, Dr. Vongpatanasin explained, they don’t seem to affect glucose levels.

4 Likes

Interesting. Once again @John_Hemming favorite “citrate” comes up. I see it everywhere now that he has gotten my attention on it.

Magnesium citrate is one of my 10 supplements thanks to John.

1 Like

Yes, I also take 2 g of magnesium citrate powder in my coffee due to John.

It’s also a cheaper version than the pill form.

1 Like

Anything that has no / extremely low risk is very promising.

It is important to be careful about the balance between different Cations.

What does that mean?

1 Like

The cations are the type of citrate such as magnesium, potassium, etc… Don’t take too much of one type of citrate if you are going to mega dose citrate. Otherwise you may be taking too much magnesium, potassium, etc…

1 Like

I think that should be obvious to most, it is not a problem of citrate.

1 Like

What’s a good daily dose for Magnesium citrate and potassium chloride?

It is a problem when taking citrate as you need to take it with a cation. (Citrate being the anion). I really don’t think there is any sense in drinking a lot of acid with ionised protons floating around. Hence you need to be looking at cations other than H+.

The key ones that it is sensible to take are Na, K, Mg and Ca, but they all have metabolic relevance.

I am currently testing a lot of different ratios between the different cations. It is to me quite obvious that Na>K>Mg>Ca, but I am not sure exactly where Na and K should sit.

The underlying problem is that to get a goodly quantity of citrate you need a lot of cation as well.

1 Like

This is actually a more complex question which is answered on the protocol thread.

Citrate is rapidly metabolised by cells in the liver so you need to get the timing and dosing right.

2 Likes

OK, I’ll check out the thread you started on that. Thanks!