Study: Biological age is increased by stress and restored upon recovery

Perhaps everyone suspects this already, but good to see the scientific validation. One thing I’d like to learn more about is how stress (i.e. raised levels of cortisol and glucocorticoids) impacts MTOR. It seems to have some effect at blocking mTOR but I’ve just started researching this: Glucocorticoids Modulate the mTOR Pathway in the Hippocampus: Differential Effects Depending on Stress History | Endocrinology | Oxford Academic and Cortisol inhibits mTOR signaling in avascular necrosis of the femoral head - PMC

From a practical standpoint I’m wondering if taking rapamycin during times of high personal stress is a positive approach or negative as you are already shutting down mTOR due to the cortisol, etc?

Aging is classically conceptualized as an ever-increasing trajectory of damage accumulation and loss of function, leading to increases in morbidity and mortality. However, recent in vitro studies have raised the possibility of age reversal. Here, we report that biological age is fluid and exhibits rapid changes in both directions. At epigenetic, transcriptomic, and metabolomic levels, we find that the biological age of young mice is increased by heterochronic parabiosis and restored following surgical detachment. We also identify transient changes in biological age during major surgery, pregnancy, and severe COVID-19 in humans and/or mice. Together, these data show that biological age undergoes a rapid increase in response to diverse forms of stress, which is reversed following recovery from stress. Our study uncovers a new layer of aging dynamics that should be considered in future studies. The elevation of biological age by stress may be a quantifiable and actionable target for future interventions.

Open Access Paper:

7 Likes
1 Like

Very interesting. Good share

Was unfortunately only able to read some selected paragraphs of the paper and then only got “Get via your institution” or “Purchase”

Did anyone with access to the full paper see if the increases in epigenetic age after Covid were fully or only partially reversed?

Full paper here (PDF)
mmc5.pdf (6.2 MB)
:

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/pdfExtended/S1550-4131(23)00093-1

1 Like

Perfect, thanks a bunch.

Found these two papers referenced in the paper above interesting:

www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-29801-8

Does anyone (@TongMD perhaps) understand this part/why it may be:

“mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccination revealed vaccination significantly reduced principal component-based Horvath epigenetic clock estimates in people over 50 by an average of 3.91 years for those that received Moderna”

www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.01.21266670v1]

1 Like

haha, yesterday I saw the topic in the media and thought “tomorrow Ill have a look at pubmed”
and now my browser pops up here in the forum. I saw the topic and… tada, heres the paper.

I love this place!

1 Like

In the athletic world, stress can include anything from physical exertion to emotional stress to a hard day at the office. Recovery is needed for all of it. Sounds similar.