Strategies to avoid the grim reaper of Cancer - Part I: Colon Cancer

Here’s me hoping that the fiber supplement I take works to counteract those effects as I love VERY spicy food.

1 Like

Not sure if I’ve seen resistant starch and dairy mentioned as protective. The reason for dairy could be the calcium. Meat and fish are generally associated with increased risk.

You may want to limit dairy to reduce reproductive cancer risk but you could potentially mimic the benefits with a higher calcium intake.

That comes as a surprise to me because of 7-10 15-28 year olds i know closely no one of them would use any spices let alone liking spicy food. Myself also, used to hate spicy food till about mid to late 30’s and now I like to use plenty mild ones, not too spicey but definitely i like somewhat medium spicey.

Do you have a source for this or just speculating?

The source is young ppl I personally know.

While reading about Plasmalogens in another thread (Eating "SeaSquirts" (for Plasmalogens) reverse signs of Aging?) I found that the ProdromScan blood test for plasmalogens also tests for ultra long chain fatty acids (GTA) produced by Gut bacteria, since low levels of them indicate a higher risk (10x higher) of Colon and Pancreatic cancer. Interestingly, Dr. Goodenowe (inventor of ProdromScan and Plasmalogen precursors) does not recommend any probiotic to restore healthy Gut bacteria, nor any supplement containing GTA, but instead recommends taking a special Curcumin supplement enriched for BDMC ( bisdemethoxycurcumin), one of the 3 active curcuminoids that is normally 2% of Curcumin : The main curcuminoid, the eponymous Curcumin, is normally 85% and DMC ( demethoxycurcumin), is normally 13%. Dr Goodenowe says BDMC mimics the chemical properties of GTA. The BDMC enriched product BDMC-50 (available from Prodrome Sciences as well as other brands elsewhere for similar prices, around $1.50 per 750mg daily dose) has 50% BDMC and Dr. Goodenowe says it has particularly strong anti-cancer activity against Colon and Pancreatic cancer. I could not find any studies supporting that claim, but I did find an in-vitro study that showed that all 3 curcuminoids individually have anti-cancer activity for bone cancer, breast cancer and melanoma, but using all 3 curcuminoids in equal proportions boosts the anti-cancer activity dramatically (60-80% survival of cancer cells after 24 hours using each curcuminoid individually vs 10% survival of cancer cells after 24 hours when using all 3 curcuminoids in equal proportion) : Curcumin, demethoxycurcumin, and bisdemethoxycurcumin induced caspase-dependent and –independent apoptosis via Smad or Akt signaling pathways in HOS cells - PMC

My recent colonoscopy found one pre-cancerous polyp, so I plan to add Pectasol and BDMC-50 to my stack as protection against Colon Cancer.

One limitation of the BDMC-50 formulation is that it does not include any bioavailability enhancing methods : bioavailability of the common Curcuminoid (Curcumin) is around 1%, but that of BDMC is around 18%, so maybe the enhanced bioavailability methods are not that critical for BDMC. For regular Curcumin the best 3rd generation bioavailability enhancing formulas include LongVida ( available from various sources, I order mine from Nootropics Depot) and CGM-Curcumin (available from Life Extension as Curcumin Elite and from other brands as CurQfen) : Both claim at least 50x increase in bioavailability for the common Curcuminoid that is typically 85% of Curcumin. Our own Desertshores has reportedly tried many curcumin formulations and confirmed that those 2 were the most effective for him.

PS : I just realized that for the colon the bioavailability of all forms of Curcumin by definition is close to 100% (anything not absorbed in the intestine). Might explain why South-Central-Asia with its high curcumin consumption has a 3-4x lower risk of colon cancer compared to USA/Europe : https://gco.iarc.fr/today/data/factsheets/cancers/10_8_9-Colorectum-fact-sheet.pdf

5 Likes

Doesn’t it feel better to have that sucker removed? You just dodged a bullet there.

3 Likes

This infographic says it best. Screenable cancers are on the rise.

So why isn’t everyone screening?

I’m having my next colonoscopy on April 20th.

2 Likes

Screening is always a question of false positives and false negatives. Unless you know the figures you cannot work out whether the screening has any merit.

Colon cancer screening is hard to have a false positive. It’s through visual inspection followed up by lab tests. If you have colon cancer, you’re not going to miss it. Just like you’re not going to miss a black eye. It’s that obvious.

2 Likes

It wasn’t that clear to me (probably because my english is bad). But which of these products do you think is better?

Aspirin and NSAIDs in general reduce the risk of several types of cancer.

“Recent data indicate that aspirin-like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) preferentially eliminate premalignant Lgr5+ ISCs (71, 72), largely hypothesized to be the primary cell of origin for the majority of GI cancers.”

“Important evidence that links inflammation and cancer is that nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin, reduce the risk and mortality from many cancers”

4 Likes

From my reading of many papers, anti-inflammatories may have cancer-preventative and life-extension properties.

One of my favorites is Boswellia Serrata (Frankincense) a good anti-inflammatory that also is good for arthritic pain, especially knee pain. Several articles indicate that it is a cancer-preventative, as I believe all anti-inflammatories are.

“Thus, boswellic acid could be useful not only as an epigenetic modulator for the treatment of patients with CRC, it may be effective against other malignancies.”

Boswellia | Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

6 Likes

I use this one after discussions on it being more bioavailable and perhaps being also optimal for brain health and Peter Attia using it

1 Like

Turmeric and curcumin, no thank you. Very bad for human consumption, stay clear of them. There is plenty of other spices and herbs that are anti-inflammatory and have other benefits also.

We try to be a fact & science based website.

Please - if you are going to offer an opinion on something, please back it up with good data / studies that guided your formation of this opinion.

Since, on the internet, we can’t tell if you’re the world leader in toxicology research on Tumeric and Curcumin at the Buck Institute, or if you’re a high school kid who smokes too much marijuana and who spends his days playing Roblox in the basement and offering opinions on random things.

All we can look to guide our decisions are good data from well-done scientific studies. Opinions about longevity therapies or supplements, etc. don’t mean much here and aren’t worth sharing unless they are backed up by good evidence.

Also - please don’t tell other people what to do (this is a site where people report on experiments that we do). Its fine to say " I don’t do this because of X data", but its a whole other thing to tell others to “stay clear of Y” with no data, no rationale and no nuance. There is someone in the world who will say “stay clear of …” any substance on earth, but thats not a good reason for anything.

I think our goal here (as a site and community) is to identify pros and cons of approaches and supplements, medicines’ etc. - and let people make their own choices given their much better knowledge of their own medical / health situation, biochemistry, budget and risk profile.

11 Likes

Here is some more context, seems like it might be interesting and this version might have solved key parts of the bioavailability/digestion issues

Memory and Brain Amyloid and Tau Effects of a Bioavailable Form of Curcumin in Non-Demented Adults: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled 18-Month Trial

Study lead by the Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, UCLA Longevity Center, Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, and Center for Human Nutrition, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles

• This is the first long-term (18 months) double-blind, placebo controlled trial of a bioavailable form of curcumin (Theracurmin® containing 90 mg of curcumin twice daily) in non-demented adults.

• We found that daily oral Theracurmin led to significant memory and attention benefits.

• FDDNP-PET scans performed pre- and post-treatment suggested that behavioral and cognitive benefits are associated with decreases in plaque and tangle accumulation in brain regions modulating mood and memory.

• Curcumin’s cognitive benefits may stem from its anti-inflammatory and/or anti-amyloid brain effects.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1064748117305110

And here discussed by Richard Isaacson, a neurologist and director of the Alzheimer’s Prevention Clinic at Weill Cornell Medicine and New York-Presbyterian, discusses strategies for staving off Alzheimer’s disease.

• See: The use of Theracurmin [1:48:45]
4 Likes

Also discussed more recently here:

• Supplements: theracurmin, cocoa flavonols, and magnesium L-threonate [1:25:15];
2 Likes

Curcumin is an HDAC inhibitor that i have taken for the last two years without an identified problem. It may not suit everyone, however.

3 Likes

First thanks for the pointers on aspirin, mag threonate, boswellia, citrus pectin. Noted!

My small add: consider doing genetic testing. I did mine and discovered (via 23&Me and Promethease) that colon cancer is my highest risk (magnitude 4) as I am hetero for the risk allele on the APC gene. I then suggested my son get tested: he did and found he also has the risk allele. Having discovered this, I am now approved by insurance for colonoscopies every three years, with which I gratefully comply. And I am mindful to do everything I know to do to prevent it. So far so good; no polyps and I am 74.

4 Likes