Stop taking Aspirin

Conclusions and Relevance This study found a significant increase in intracranial bleeding with daily low-dose aspirin but no significant reduction of ischemic stroke. These findings may have particular relevance to older individuals prone to developing intracranial bleeding after head trauma.

4 Likes

Personally i dont like inhibiting cox-1. I think that is how aspirin messes up sleep.

Interestingly Bryan Johnson takes 81 mg of aspirin 3x a week and has a hit perfect 100 sleep score on his whoop tracker for like 4 months straight. Riddle me this?

2 Likes

He is only one person and on the most expensive and monitored “anti-aging” program in the world. Here’s a story of a centarian woman who drinks alcohol and smokes cigarettes. Does this mean she is living a healthy lifestyle?
Centenarian Drinks Whiskey - 100-Year-Old Credits Whiskey, Cigarettes (delish.com)

4 Likes

Dr. Sinclair takes Aspirin 81 mg daily. It’s not clear what is the right action regarding Aspirin. The information changes all the time!

3 Likes

I am not unique in my view that aspirin disrupts sleep. If your sleep is really good it may not becan issue.

4 Likes

I’m beginning to think that if Sinclair does it, it’s probably a bad idea lol.

4 Likes

At least he’s taking a statin and possibly rapamycin so he’s only wrong half the time :smiley:

3 Likes

The odds are that many more people have died from not taking aspirin than those who do.

The risk of taking aspirin appears to be dose-dependent. The are a lot of articles and Tweets that warn of the danger of aspirin using relative rather than absolute risk, therefore, making them nothing more than clickbait

"In the United States Physicians’ Health Study, among those using 325 mg of aspirin
every other day, there was a small excess (3 per 10,000 person
years) of upper gastrointestinal bleeding. However, in studies
using larger or more frequent doses of aspirin, there is an increased risk for peptic ulcer disease and significant gastrointestinal bleeding "

“There is now a considerable body of data supporting the hypothesis that aspirin could be effective in the prevention and treatment of colorectal cancer, and a number of phase III randomised controlled trials designed to evaluate the role of aspirin in the treatment of colorectal cancer are ongoing. Although generally well tolerated, aspirin can have adverse effects, including dyspepsia and, infrequently, bleeding.”

"and intracranial haemorrhage is rarer still (an estimated 0.8 additional events per 10,000 people treated for a year with aspirin [6]).

I have been taking aspirin on a regular basis since I was a child. My colonoscopy showed a completely clean colon; no polyps.I attribute this to the regular use of aspirin.

Aspirin has many other worthwhile benefits and has never caused me any detrimental side effects.

Of course, this might not be true for everyone.

5 Likes

The key part of your post:

The key part of the study:.

“aspirin could be effective”

Though I do believe that more people have died because they didn’t take aspirin than people who died from taking aspirin.

4 Likes
1 Like

“At trial entry, 3660 (19.1%) had a prior diagnosis of cancer”

“Table 2 indicates that 981 individuals in the aspirin group and 952 in the placebo group had a first incident cancer after random assignment, regardless of whether they had a past cancer history at baseline.”
A relatively low relative increase in cancer
19 114 total participants.
A very low absolute risk

“There was no statistically significant difference between groups for all incident cancers”

If you have late-stage cancer you shouldn’t take aspirin. But then if you have late-stage cancer it probably doesn’t matter

2 Likes

Don’t they still say if you think you are having an MI, and it’s unlikely that the ambulance will get there in time, chew up a 325 mg ASA and you might save your life? KarlT might know that answer.

3 Likes

Some basic information.

Yes, 4 chewable baby aspirin is the standard of care in acute myocardial infarction. And one a day does have a few good indications for use, but not for the population in general.

2 Likes

Daily Aspirin Challenged in Primary Stroke Prevention: ASPREE

Steve Stiles
July 28, 2023
Seniors who took low-dose aspirin daily for primary prevention had no reduction in the risk for first strokes in a large randomized trial that followed them for about 5 years.

But those who took aspirin at 100 mg/d, compared with placebo, did show a significant 38% jump in risk for intracranial (IC) bleeding. Rates for ischemic stroke and for hemorrhagic stroke were similar between the aspirin and control groups.
The excess IC bleeding events included hemorrhagic stroke but also dural and subdural bleeds characteristic of traumatic head injury, such as from falls, researchers say, based on their secondary analysis of the ASPREE trial. The findings applied regardless of age, sex, or cardiovascular (CV) risk factors.

This is the secondary Analysis of the original ASPREE trial conducted in Australia and US.

3 Likes

Does aspirin simply thin the blood to provide benefits? If so, would other treatments such as blood donation or Nattokinase work just as well? Or chelating iron?

1 Like

Aspirin inhibits cyclooxygenase-1 which does a lot of things

This reduces the ability of platelets to clot.

Understanding how aspirin affects blood clotting - BHF.

I am not a fan of cox-1 inhibitors because of their wide ranging effects.

A single dose of aspirin disables platelets until they are recycled. In other cells it lasts in its effects about 36-40 hours.

2 Likes

Daily low dose aspirin usage in seniors associated with intercranial bleeding.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/994963

1 Like