Starting dosage? With food?

Hi. Thanks in advance.
Just starting sirolimus and unsure if small dosage and gradually increase? Also, is it best to take with food or fasting?

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s any research done on that. Nobody knows for sure. I would guess that with food is better. My docs tell me that it does not matter. I still take it with food.

1 Like

We have a long thread on dosing here: What is the Rapamycin Dose / Dosage for Anti-Aging or Longevity?

I also recommend reading as much of our Frequently Asked Questions document as you have time for: Rapamycin Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If you take rapamycin with a “fatty meal” (I do it with sardines), you increase the bioavailability by about 30% (so you’re getting more value for your money).

4 Likes

This of course is true re fatty foods, but if you are someone like me who had a negative reaction to sirolimus (at least highly probable it was a side effect of the rapa as opposed to anything else since it was only new addition to my regimen) at the fairly low dose of 2mg/week (after 3 weeks of use), one may wish to limit bioavailability until you gauge how the body reacts. I, for instance, do NOT want to get more bang for my buck. I-if I reintroduce sirolimus most likely at 1mg/week, will not be seeking to increase bioavailability, certainly not initially.

2 Likes

Thanks EasterEggB
Took my first dose of 1mg this morning with a little olive oil for fat before I read your message. That was a couple hours ago and the only thing to report is improved visual acuity, kind of like a very mild mushroom dose. No other effects except perhaps a mild euphoria. I had apprehension about how it might have side effects so probably not placebo effect.

1 Like

I wish you the best. You can see from my prior forum posts my reaction (localised cheek oedema in short) and at that prior ultra low dosage I haven’t read from many others who have had similar reactions or even particularly bad atypical side effects. Oedema is a documented side effect and people here have reported it, but at higher dosages. Moral is we are all different and this drug must be treated with due respect and caution but I am clearly more sensitive than most. I certainly hope to reintroduce in a couple of months at 50% lower dose.

Good luck to you on this journey!

3 Likes

I’ve taken it both with food and during fasting, no difference for me.

I started with 1mg and increased it by 1mg per week until my current dose of 10mg per week.

Also, I’ve never had any noticable effects (good or bad) from Rapamycin at all. I’ve been taking it for about four months.

Be careful of placebo . . . this forum is terrific, but it’s full of people posting imaginary effects from low doses of rapamycin. (Especially if they’re giving it to their dogs.)

You aren’t getting “improved visual acuity” from taking 1mg of rapamycin a couple hours ago. If you want to prove me wrong, go to an optometrist and get your vision tested a few hours after your dose. If your eyesight is really improving, it’s very easy to find out.

The great thing about science is that you don’t have to guess on this stuff. Anyone posting stuff like “I feel” and “I think maybe” should be taken with a grain of salt.

Bloodwork or other professionally administered tests are the data that should be taken seriously here, not feelings.

1 Like

Thanks Phil! All good. I really appreciate feedback and others experiences. I’ll ramp 1mg a week and consider the blood tests.
As for visual effects: I doubted as well, so I perused PubMed for related research and there is some research on autophagy and rapamycin with ocular conditions. Granted it’s easy to find supporting information on almost anything. I put that out there to see if anyone else had noticed a visual effect. Example: Therapeutic Effect of Rapamycin-Loaded Small Extracellular Vesicles Derived from Mesenchymal Stem Cells on Experimental Autoimmune Uveitis - PubMed

2 Likes