Starting Calcium Alpha-Ketoglutarate

Will be starting CaAKG{Calcium Alpha-Ketoglutarate]

I am shamelessly copying a commercial product, in my view the commercial product is expensive for what is being sold.

My version/mix/set;

CaAKG - 1,000mg{2x 500mg capsule]

Calcium Oratate - 170mg of Calcium from 1,486mg of calcium orotate - 2X capsule

Dry Vitamin A - 7,500mcg {60% as Beta Carotene and 40% Retiny Palmitate] 1x capsule

1 set per day

3 Likes

Hi @Joseph , yes CaAKG is interesting, and I agree, given the price premium for the Rejuvant , I can see why people would be “making their own”.

I’ve seen conflicting research on CaAKG in terms of mTOR inhibition and activation (see two papers below) but I have not researched it in depth. Have you researched this issue - or anyone else here?

More details for those interested in CaAKG:

And a report by the Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation on CaAKG:

Alpha-ketoglutarate-Cognitive-Vitality-For-Researchers-2.pdf (283.3 KB)

3 Likes

Brian Kennedy spoke about this at the 2021 ARDD. The studies were ongoing then but he said the company had a lot of data from people like us that set baselines for DNA methylation and just started taking the product. And then tested every 6 months. He said that that that data was promising. I suspect that the company that makes Rejuvant would have thought that would suffice. But he went on to explain why.

He said that I think what we are seeing is that if you think you’re getting younger, then you are getting younger. And, the people who are spending money to buy the product are hopefully getting a benefit from AKG but the are also getting a benefit from thinking they were doing something to affect aging! These companies must love their paid scientific advisors!

2 Likes

Tried Calcium AKG a few months ago, for two months. Did not notice any changes. But my assessment is subjective. I did not measure any biomarkers. I used another brand, Maxx herbs, because of the lower price. So the fault may be in el cheapo me, not the supplement.

A scientific study, however, gave the following assessment:

In females, aKG treatment resulted in significant increases in median and maximal (90th percentile) lifespan (16.6% and 19.7%, respectively), while in males median and maximal lifespan were numerically greater, but not significant (9.6% and 12.8%, respectively). Independent of sex, aKG treatment decreased the proportion of life in which mice were frail, with reduction in frailty scores of 46% for females and 41% for males on the aKG diet.

1 Like

I thought this study was compelling for AKG. Most especially, the lengthened healthspan and no grey hair in the treatment group compared to the controls

2 Likes

Just drop in the full link on its own line - nothing special to do. I’ve corrected your links.

Brian Kennedy has said in interviews that AKG really only showed any benefit for people who were less healthy. If you’re relatively healthy they didn’t see any significant improvement (in the human study that was published on AKG). THey are doing more clinical studies in Singapore now, and starting one on rapamycin soon.

I recommend this video:

2 Likes

New paper:

Alpha-ketoglutarate as a potent regulator for lifespan and healthspan: Evidences and perspectives

Aging is a natural process that determined by a functional decline in cells and tissues as organisms are growing old, resulting in an increase at risk of disease and death. To this end, many efforts have been made to control aging and increase lifespan and healthspan. These efforts have led to the discovery of several anti-aging drugs and compounds such as rapamycin and metformin. Recently, alpha-ketoglutarate (AKG) has been introduced as a potential anti-aging metabolite that can control several functions in organisms, thereby increases longevity and improves healthspan. Unlike other synthetic anti-aging drugs, AKG is one of the metabolites of the tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle, also known as the Krebs cycle, and synthesized in the body. It plays a crucial role in the cell energy metabolism, amino acid/protein synthesis, epigenetic regulation, stemness and differentiation, fertility and reproductive health, and cancer cell behaviors. AKG exerts its effects through different mechanisms such as inhibiting mTOR and ATP-synthase, modulating DNA and histone demethylation and reducing ROS formation. Herein, we summarize the recent findings of AKG-related lifespan and healthspan studies and discuss AKG associated cell and molecular mechanisms involved in increasing longevity, improving reproduction, and modulating stem cells and cancer cells behavior. We also discuss the promises and limitations of AKG for delaying aging and other potential applications.

Full Paper (open access):

4 Likes