Some of the Problems & Challenges of Increased Longevity (CNBC / Fox)

What are people’s thoughts on these two areas of “challenge” that are seen with increased longevity? Can you relate to them? or not a big issue?

Increased longevity is challenging people to rethink the traditional three-step life path of education, work and retirement.

But one age group — individuals ages 40 to 59 — is more likely to struggle with this concept, according to new research from Transamerica and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology AgeLab.

“That cohort based on the study really had the toughest time and was carrying the most stress and burden about managing this concept of longevity in a positive way,” said Phil Eckman, president of workplace solutions at Transamerica.

and at the same time ageism is forcing people out of their jobs earlier…

Related:

Related Documents:

transamerica_mit_release_final_8-23-2023.pdf (215.4 KB)

Longevity_as_Opportunity_-_MIT_Positive_Longevity_White_Paper.pdf (6.3 MB)

1 Like

Someone defined an entrepreneur as someone no one else would hire :wink:
Let them force us out of the traditional workforce.

I can live with that. I can keep working with that. And I intend to keep working for a very long time.

3 Likes

I had to become an entrepreneur because I was a horrible employee. Lol . . . I simply don’t worry about this kind of stuff at all. I’m happy now; my situation will change; I’ll figure it out and be happy for different reasons in a new situation.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m still able to switch/add on four more careers in my life. I tend to sort of re-invent myself every decade.

1 Like

Financial concerns are a worry for almost everyone, except maybe the ultra-rich. Even high networth individuals have to worry about finances due to inflation or maintaining their standard of living.

My father retired at 60 with a pension after 40 years at the same company. 15 years later, that pension hasn’t adjusted for inflation and things are getting a bit tighter. By the time he’s 90, he may be living below the standards he would like. Now what happens if he lives to 115?

You need to save like a madman when you are young and invest it in order to provide for your future you. It’s never to late to save and invest.