Sleep apnea..anyone?

Thanks so much, Jane. Really appreciate it. Unfortunately I’m not located in the US. But generally some great advice for US members that may want to look into this.

That sounds quite interesting. Does the appliance have an aperture to allow air intake or is it closed? I’ve use dental appliances that do the same thing, not very comfortable and the air intake dries out my mouth. (maybe I could seal it…hmmm)

Did you get anywhere with this? I’ve been having a similar problem for a few years. Frequently walking up and not being able to get back to sleep or waking up and needing to go to the bathroom. I’m really lean and just thought that I was just getting old- I’m 48, but I’m all for testing. But it turns out I have sleep apnea due to lax tissue in my throat, which is down to loss of collagen. I’ve just finished my third Erbium laser treatment, which shrinks the tissue at the back of the throat. I’m hoping that I won’t have to use a CPAP machine as my apnea is only moderate at the moment. I’m guessing that apnea is probably under diagnosed. I hope you find some relief.

3 Likes

A person can be thin and still have sleep apnea. Obstructive sleep apnea can often be weight related but there are times when it’s related to the anatomy of the airway or jaw structure. There’s also the less common central sleep apnea that’s not related to weight so when in doubt it’s worth getting a sleep study in my opinion since it can have such a huge impact on quality of life, health issues and longevity. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have you ever taken a sleep test? If not try this, https://www.sleepon.us/go2sleep/ it’s pretty accurate. Sleep apnea is a nasty problem with no easy solution. The prevalent treatments are CPAP (makes it difficult to sleep) or retainer that move the jaw (makes it difficult to sleep).

I got diagnosed with sleep apnea after an overnight sleep study and have been using CPAP. It works but its an almighty P.I.T.A. There’s a lot of really useful info on surgeon Vik Veers channel:

I am hoping to get a drug induced sleep endoscopy to find out exactly what causes my sleep apnea in the hope that some form of surgery might help.

I have been taking rapamycin for 3-4 weeks now and last night was the first time in 6 years that I didn’t wake up in the night to go for a pee. Could of course just be a complete coincidence but rapa is allowing me to exercise and my apple watch has picked up several health metric trend changes including resting heart rate down from 65 to 50 and heart rate variability up from 40 to 100.

I now plan on having a few nights without cpap but wearing an o2 monitor and monitoring movements via a webcam.

1 Like

After the terrifying experience of awakening in the middle of the night gasping for breath, one can reasonably suspect sleep apnea.

I have had favorable results by using a sleep wedge and a body pillow to get my head at the best angle. I then relax my jaw and throat and check to see if my airway has been obstructed.

Having used an Oura ring for a few months I’ve discovered routines and supplements that affect my overall sleep, my time in REM, time in deep sleep. My Oura app analysis suggests that my sleep apnea is still a factor. I don’t know whether or not this is damaging to my health despite significant improvements in sleep quality. I do know I could never adjust to a CPAP.

BTW, after years of rapamycin use, at rather high dosage, I never noticed a consistent difference in my nocturia, though I cant rule out some slight gradual improvement. I think it has more to do with the timing and quantity of fluid intake (from food or liquid).

2 Likes