Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

The ITP had one arm where they cycled the mice on and off. Besides that, I think most other studies use rapamycin in food and a continuing feeding.

2 Likes

Usually I take rapamycin without any supplements or food and never have mouth sores. Last week though, I was taking it with reserveratrol mixed in EVOO (wanted to see if resevatrol has any effect on glucose spike). The result: 2 mouth sores after taking 0.5 mg/day for only 3 days.

3 Likes

Rapamycin = Senomorphic
Rapamycin + Resveratrol = Senolytic

When you add Resveratrol, it kills off senescent cells instead of rejuvenating them.

1 Like

I thought Resveratrol was debunked. Thought there is a lot of reading on it NOT being beneficial?

3 Likes

I recently read on this forum that if combined with Rapa, reseveratrol prevents glucose spike.

1 Like

Ah, I see wasnā€™t aware of that. Makes sense if true. Any paper or source that you can remember, or just anecdotal?

Unfortunately donā€™t remember besides it was recently within 2 weeks. So I decided to try but it immediately resulted in 2 mouth sores. For me itā€™s a negative feature, so I stopped reseveratrol.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a whole thread on Rapamycin plus GFJ. GFJ has been tested with Rapamycin. It provides around a 3-3.5X increase in bioavailability and the effects of GFJ lasts only 4 hours and not 3 days.

5 Likes

I listened to your podcast re: nitric oxide but I donā€™t even want to get the test strips before I know what to do about it. Was disappointed that that was the only product they offered, then just general guidelines. So for example, assume that I am deficient as you were. Assume that Iā€™ve already ditched mouth rinse. What toothpaste is friendly to the ammonia oxidizing bacteria in our mouths? I already see the foods to incorporate but you canā€™t start drying yourself when youā€™re still in the shower with the water running. Iā€™m surprised that womanā€™s company hadnā€™t at least launched a toothpaste that ticks all the boxes. Have you found one? What else have you done re: intervention?

Hereā€™s the toothpaste I use. The test strips are the easiest way to confirm everything is working. I take 25 supplements without any idea if they do anything. I know my NO supplement works.

Multiple pieces to the puzzle for me

• oral microbiome (good toothpaste, donā€™t brush tongue)
  • sufficient nitrates in food or supplements every 12 hours (supplement in AM; celery with dinner)

IMG_5065

3 Likes

I bought it. What supplements do you take for it? I hate the taste of celery, really hate it. But I use celery salt. Iā€™ll buy the strips, but need to know what to do to move the needle.

I use the Berkley Life nitrate supplement (Nitric Oxide Foundation). It works for me (i take 2 capsules in AM). I also tried the HumanN Beet powder capsules but I had to take 2x the stated dose to get a good test strip result. The ā€œpractitioner codeā€ in the link below allows you to buy from berkley lifeā€™s websiteā€¦they only sell via practitioner officesā€¦They gave me an account to allow my listeners to get access. The discount code WISE20 gives you 20% off your first order (I do get a commission since that is how their business model works; 20% was the biggest discount I was allowed to provide). You may also be able to buy Berkley Life product on Amazon but the discount code will not work there.

This link (berkeleylife.com) allows you to buy directly from Berkley Life; the registration code ā€œWISE30ā€ is needed to create an account. When placing an order, use discount code: ā€œWISE20ā€ ā€¦it is a one-time 20% savings.

3 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll have to hold off as Iā€™m pregnant and donā€™t want to get too experimental with my supplements now but Iā€™m bookmarking it for down the road.

3 Likes

@medaura Congrats on your pregnancy!

ABSOLUTELY DONā€™T take Rapamycin while pregnant!!!

1 Like

Oh man, I quit as soon as I found out I was expecting and crossing my fingers it wasnā€™t too late. Canā€™t travel back in time and stop taking it even sooner unfortunately. But Iā€™ve seen reported cases of women who had to take it during pregnancy and it didnā€™t lead to problems for the baby other than low birth weight. So Iā€™m not too worried about the effect of my past rapa consumption.

4 Likes

Yes, it may stunt your childā€™s growth.

On the plus side, it may increase his/her lifespan.

1 Like

My children are shrimps as it is, as am I. Hitting all their growth spurts late too. So I think thereā€™s low mTOR running in the family and I canā€™t afford to lower it even more or Iā€™ll give birth to Thumbelina. Iā€™m making a point to consume milk / yogurt / dairy daily, which I never did with previous pregnancies, as I read it can help with birth weight and future weight and height into childhood.

Speaking of children and mTOR, I really do wonder what is going on in middle America especially. The kids are getting HUGE very young, and itā€™s got me wondering if itā€™s something in the diet or lifestyle thatā€™s over activating mTOR and what that means long term for these kidsā€™ health. It seems to correlate with obesity but not always.

3 Likes

I believe itā€™s unhealthy diets combined with a lack of exercise that is causing Americaā€™s obesity problems.

3 Likes

But theyā€™re not just on the chubby side. Theyā€™re BIG. Tall, developed, over developed Iā€™d say, sometimes heads and shoulders over their parents. And some of these kids who are on the fleshy side play serious sports (canā€™t speak to their diets though).

I would make sure they get some really nice animal protein source daily (organic is best) especially during the puberty phase, so they properly develop their hormones and body composition. IMO, I would wean them off a bit on plant-based foods (especially bread and legumes) while they are still growing and up until they are into their early 20ā€™s. They can still have the veggies though.

2 Likes