Should you take Rapamyacin on Workout days or Rest days?

Hi, I have been Rapamycin once a week for about seven month now and always wondered if its better to administer on a workout days or a rest day, and naturally the question comes up before or after the workout?
Haven’t seen any pros on cons mention anywhere.

2 Likes

So i also have 7 months of data now and I’m pretty confident that doses of 6 to 12mg/week:

a. Improve adaptation from strength training irrespective of timing
b. Slightly reduce aerobic performance metrics like FTP and VO2

1 Like

I recommend you read these previous discussions around this topic:

2 Likes

For what it is worth - for past 2-years on rapamycin once per week dose, I work out in the evening for 1 hour 15 mintues muscle resistance. afterwards, I have a 1lb. steak… 2 glasses of whole milk; then, after an hour I take my rapamycin. I take 6mg rapamycin with a cup of fresh squeezed pink grapefruit juice - it pushes up the rapamycin in my system 5x 38ng/mL . I go to bed. I don’t work out the next day or until the evening two days later so about 32 hours after dosaging - then I work out and turn everything back on. Seems to be working for me.

2 Likes

I Just recieved my first order and am trying to figure this out as well. I could imagine going either way. On the one hand, when I have done mutiple day water fasts i will strength train to preserve muscle and remember hearing something Peter Attia said about local muscle mtor signaling during fasts (from working out) not interfering with the beneficial mtor inhabition you get from fasting. On the other hand, I saw a comment from Matt Kaeberlein posted on this forum from some conference saying it could make sense to take Rapa on a rest day as to not interfere with the mtor inhabition, while acknowledging that this is all speculative. I’m going to take it on my rest days, thinking that I can maximize muscle and strength gains to contrast the mtor inhibition from Rapa

3 Likes

This seems like a simple and straight forward question.

If we over simplify, then you would want to time your exercise to avoid when you have higher Rapamycin levels. The thought being that the exercise would somehow decrease the effect of mTOR inhibition because it stimulates mTOR or the reverse that Rapa would decrease the effect/ benefit of exercise.

From what I have read, we are all guessing and have no idea it its that simple. It may be that it has not much crossover and dual stimulation and inhibition can and probably does occur. With that being said, I try to time my workouts so that my testosterone replacement peaks are at the highest levels during exercise and post workout recovery time and my Rapa peaks are on rest days. I do think we are over thinking this and it probably does not matter that much:)

2 Likes

The peak drug levels are about 1 hour after ingestion - and drops off extremely quickly immediately afterwards. If you take it in the morning, by the afternoon I suspect that the highest levels of mTOR1 inhibition are down significantly.

In the one study I’m aware of that showed Muscle growth inhibition they tested right at the peak blood sirolimus time period (1 to 2 hours after taking the rapamycin). Thats a worse case scenario - not what we typically do. Additionally - its not like its a “net-negative” if you exercise while at peak blood sirolimus levels - you just don’t get the full potential benefit. For me just keeping my schedule is more important than maximizing muscle growth per hour workout.

This is basically what I do:

3 Likes

@RapAdmin - This makes the most sense to not restrict too much on when and how you take it. Some notice some stimulant effect that would make sense not to take at night. I know we reviewed earlier about how GFJ changes absorption, but forgot the how the Cmax and or peak / troughs change.

2 Likes