Senolytic Therapy: What are you doing?

That’s a gold mine. They can be ground and made into a tincture.

Where is “here”? Iowa?

2 Likes

Yes, about 30 miles east of Sioux City out in the sticks. FREE.

I don’t have any idea how to process the bark. Would you just peel it off and grind to powder? I’ve never seen the product for sale anywhere.

Mostly what is done is juice, it’s sold in HyVee. I suppose the powder is what’s left over after the juice. Probably the good stuff. I didn’t know it had alpha glucosidase, and still don’t know how much.

4 Likes

Sorry. I have no engineering background. Am sure it can be mechanized. Maybe we should ask desertshores.

Interesting in senolytics

1 Like

a biotechnology/biohacking CEO says that clearance is more effective when you’re younger

Ryan Smith TruDiagnostic reports that using too much of the blunt-edge kind can increase epigenetic age…

6 Likes

When you say blunt edge, are you referring to fisetin, dastanib, etc…?

2 Likes

Could getting rid of old cells turn back the clock on aging?

Researchers are investigating medicines that selectively kill decrepit cells to promote healthy aging — but more work is needed before declaring them a fountain of youth

One of their targets is decrepit cells that build up in tissues as people age. These “senescent” cells have reached a point — due to damage, stress or just time — when they stop dividing, but don’t die. While senescent cells typically make up only a small fraction of the overall cell population, they accounted for up to 36 percent of cells in some organs in aging mice, one study showed. And they don’t just sit there quietly. Senescent cells can release a slew of compounds that create a toxic, inflamed environment that primes tissues for chronic illness. Senescent cells have been linked to diabetes, stroke, osteoporosis and several other conditions of aging.

These noxious cells, along with the idea that getting rid of them could mitigate chronic illnesses and the discomforts of aging, are getting serious attention. The US National Institutes of Health is investing $125 million in a new research effort, called SenNet, that aims to identify and map senescent cells in the human body as well as in mice over the natural lifespan. And the National Institute on Aging has put up more than $3 million over four years for the Translational Geroscience Network multicenter team led by Kirkland that is running preliminary clinical trials of potential antiaging treatments. Drugs that kill senescent cells — called senolytics — are among the top candidates. Small-scale trials of these are already underway in people with conditions including Alzheimer’s, osteoarthritis and kidney disease.

But he and others sound a note of caution as well, and some scientists think the field’s potential has been overblown. “There’s a lot of hype,” says Varga. “I do have, I would say, a very healthy skepticism.” He warns his patients of the many unknowns and tells them that trying senolytic supplementation on their own could be dangerous.

https://knowablemagazine.org/article/health-disease/2022/could-getting-rid-old-cells-turn-back-clock-aging

3 Likes

RapAdmin, thanks for keeping this discussion on Senolytic Therapy at the forefront…I keep going back and forth on trying Dasatinib and have not yet pulled the trigger yet. But the more I read on the topic, the closer I"m getting.

3 Likes

My thought is what is the proper timing for senolyic use? The current thoughts are once a month, but does your body build up enough senescent cells in a month to do that? Should it be annually? Bi-monthly?

3 Likes

Senescent cells damage the body throughout life

Cells in a state of arrested growth, called senescence, have been characterized in skeletal muscle in mice. Senescent cells promote inflammation and block regeneration, and thus might induce harmful changes in aged muscle.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-04430-9?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1673138104

1 Like

DeStrider, I do it every 3 months and so far have not noticed anything. I use the standard 100 mg Dasatinib + 1 gram Quercetin with keto coffee an hour before breakfast 3 days in a row. As with anything I’m cautious about, I gave Dasatinib a trial before using a full dose. I used a razor blade to cut a small piece off one tablet of Dasatinib and took it with a little water an hour before a meal. Noticing nothing, the next day I cut off a little more, and so on until reaching a full tablet. The full dose (100 mg Dasatinib + 1 gram Quercetin) speeds up my digestive system on the days I take it, but I don’t experience any diarrhea or discomfort of any type. So, you may need to go to the bathroom several times on days of treatment.

5 Likes

Dasatinib + Quercetin | ALZFORUM.

According to results presented at December 2022 CTAD conference, dasatinib, but not quercetin, was detected in CSF 60 to 90 minutes after the last dose. The regimen appeared safe and tolerable. No significant changes in biomarkers of Aβ, tau, or senescence, or in cognition occurred over the 12 weeks of treatment.

It referenced two papers, found below:

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2352-3964(19)30591-2

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2352-3964(18)30629-7

Most of the human studies are still in recruitment stage.

The alternatives would be fisetin, grape seed extract (see below),

https://www.nature.com/articles/s42255-021-00491-8

and dihomo-gamma-linoleic acid (borage oil)

1 Like

Jay, what do you mean “speeds up your digestive system on the days you take it”? Do you mean you just have to go to the bathroom more?

Yes. You may go to the bathroom more.

2 Likes

More good news on senolytics (mouse study):

Senolytic drugs, dasatinib and quercetin, attenuate adipose tissue inflammation, and ameliorate metabolic function in old age

Collectively, results from this study suggest that D&Q attenuates adipose tissue inflammation and improves systemic metabolic function in old age. These findings have implications for the development of therapeutic agents to combat metabolic dysfunction and diseases in old age.

Full Paper (open access):

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/acel.13767

2 Likes

What doses of D and Q would this equate in humans?

1 Like

Am reevaluating senolytics, based on this video:

Dmitry Bulavin talks about liver sinusoidal endothelial cells. Once they are knocked out by senolytics, fibrosis sets in. The liver sinusoidal endothelial cells do not repair themselves.

There is a long introduction, interesting to the scientifically inclined. But if you want the meat of the presentation, go directly to 20:45.

I did three rounds of fisetin in September, October, and November 2022. Was about to do another round. But I need to further reevaluate, before starting another round. Will take senomorphics in the meantime.

7 Likes

I’ve not done a deep dive into the senomorphic area… what treatments other than rapamycin might be classified as “senomorophic”?

3 Likes

The way i get senescent cells to function is by increasing gene expression. Part of this can be achieved by histone deacetylase inhibition. Quercetin which is thought of as a senolytic is in fact an HDAC inhibitor. I therefore wonder if many of the molecules thought to kill off senescent cells in fact are senomorphics.

4 Likes

Nutritional senomorphics promoting SASP blockade without cell killing are resveratrol, kaempferol, apigenin, and EGCG.

There is kaempferol again; my substitute for everolimus. So there may be a double benefit for me.

Michael Lustgarten takes apigenin, the other way to increase NAD. You can either take NMN or NR, or reduce what reduces NAD (CD38). Apigenin reduces CD38. So with apigenin, you preserve NAD, and benefit from its senomorphic acitivty. You can increase apigenin intake with dried parsley, or supplements.

3 Likes