Senolytic Therapy: What are you doing?

There are a number of forum topics that deal with senolytics but they are scattered and often part of other related forum posts. I’d like to start a new thread asking each of you:

1. Do you buy into the argument that getting rid of senescence cells will promote longevity?
  2. If so, what senolytic therapy are you doing and what is the protocol?
4 Likes

I think it is one of the byproducts of multiple factors - like losing weight can lower your blood pressure, but not sure if it is a primary driver? Looking forward to how the forum members answer though! Thanks for bringing up the topic for clarity!

2 Likes

I managed to catch a bit of the ARDD conference talk by Judith Campisi, Buck Institute and also co-founder of Unity Biotechnology (the Senolytic-focused startup based here in San Francisco).

I’ve been following the research in senolytics the past few years - mostly the work by James Kirkland at the Mayo Clinic.

But Judith Campisi is also one of the leaders in senoytics research and as a co-founder of Unity Biotech, she has been involved in the struggle to get a Senolytic drug to market. Unity has had a tough time so far - with most of their early clinical trials failing to show significant effects. Their stock is down dramatically, and they’ve had a number of rounds of layoffs at the company.

In the most recent presentation last week she was communicating the many complexities of senolytics and implementing them. The video will be online in a few months (this is typically what ARDD does) - so I encourage people to watch it when it becomes available.

My take away from the video (and this was only upon viewing perhaps 1/2 the presentation, so it may be inaccurate) was that they were still struggling to figure out specifically when and where the Senolytic drugs were going to be best implemented. Expected results are not anywhere near what they’ve hoped for so far. Its still very early in the field.

So - given all this, I remain watching on the side-lines. If they can’t get senolytics to work in their human clinical trials, I doubt my own abilities to get senolytics to work in my body.

But, I’ve love to hear people’s results (positive or negative) with Senolytic protocols like dasatinib + fisetin, etc.

7 Likes

Dr. Alan Green has a long discussion about senolytics at https://senolyticstreatment.com/; probably worth a read. I personally have been following the original Kirkland/Mayo Clinic fisetin protocol which I believe was 20mg/kg 3 days/month. I’m on the fence about whether to continue once my current supply runs out… leaning toward not.

1 Like

I know every time there is a post like this, I can count on you to chime in and bring me up to speed on the topic.

Thanks!

Doesn’t Blogosklonny maintain that rapa is a senolytic?

Senolytics are a double edged sword. The reason I stopped taking NAC is that it protects lung cells from becoming senescent. Without these senescent cells, however, there is a higher chance of developing lung cancer (approx. 10% in mice, 50% in mice mimicing smokers). However, the decreased senescent cells equated to fewer problems with emphysema and better lung health if you disregard the cancer risk.

“Senolytics are a double edged sword. The reason I stopped taking NAC is that it protects lung cells from becoming senescent. Without these senescent cells, however, there is a higher chance of developing lung cancer (approx. 10% in mice, 50% in mice mimicing smokers). However, the decreased senescent cells equated to fewer problems with emphysema and better lung health if you disregard the cancer risk.”

But then: Rapa also delays entry of cells into senescence. This has been discussed in research.

Van Deursen of Unity Biotechnology filed suit for defamation after his alleged behaviour was discussed online, so I’m not too keen to discuss his work (ethics). But the fact Unity Biotechnology’s trials with UBX0101 failed, does not really surprise me.

Several members of his lab that developed UBX0101 had come forward - and there were also posts with some allegations about the way research had to be conducted. I will just say it didn’t install a lot of trust.
https://www.postbulletin.com/newsmd/top-researcher-accused-of-bullying-as-mayo-closes-his-lab

I read the article you linked to. But Scientific co-founders of companies, that don’t actually work at the company, typically don’t have much to do with a company’s day to day operation. They tend to sit in on occasional advisory meetings, and call, so whatever this guy’s issues in his lab likely were not (I suspect) reflected in the company’s operating history.

In fact Unity Biotechnology co-developed UBX0101 and holds the patent together with the Mayo Clinic, Buck’s institute, and John Hopkins University. Van Deursen was a chairman and professor at the Mayo Clinic at the time UBX0101 was developed. The initial preclinical trials with UBX0101 were performed also in the Mayo Clinic - in Van Deursen’s lab. (Could potentially make one wonder about a conflict of interest also, given his position with Unity Biotechnology). He was involved in those pre-clinical trials, as was also discussed in some online media and by his lab members. As said, given Van Deursens willingness to sue for defamation, I’m reluctant to write more. But albeit the issues of Van Deursen in his lab may “not be reflected in United Biotechnology’s operating history” as you say, it was alleged they were reflected in the preclinical trials.

Thanks for posting. You know a lot more about Unity than I do, I can tell.

It is true that Rapa delays the entry of cells into senescence which is usually a good thing. However, it also prevents/fights against cancer. If Rapa increased the odds of getting cancer, I think fewer people would take it. I truly wish that NAC did not increase the chance of lung cancer as I really thought it had a lot of therapeutic and life-extending benefits.