Senolytic Therapy: What are you doing?

There are a number of forum topics that deal with senolytics but they are scattered and often part of other related forum posts. I’d like to start a new thread asking each of you:

1. Do you buy into the argument that getting rid of senescence cells will promote longevity?
  2. If so, what senolytic therapy are you doing and what is the protocol?
4 Likes

I think it is one of the byproducts of multiple factors - like losing weight can lower your blood pressure, but not sure if it is a primary driver? Looking forward to how the forum members answer though! Thanks for bringing up the topic for clarity!

3 Likes

I managed to catch a bit of the ARDD conference talk by Judith Campisi, Buck Institute and also co-founder of Unity Biotechnology (the Senolytic-focused startup based here in San Francisco).

I’ve been following the research in senolytics the past few years - mostly the work by James Kirkland at the Mayo Clinic.

But Judith Campisi is also one of the leaders in senoytics research and as a co-founder of Unity Biotech, she has been involved in the struggle to get a Senolytic drug to market. Unity has had a tough time so far - with most of their early clinical trials failing to show significant effects. Their stock is down dramatically, and they’ve had a number of rounds of layoffs at the company.

In the most recent presentation last week she was communicating the many complexities of senolytics and implementing them. The video will be online in a few months (this is typically what ARDD does) - so I encourage people to watch it when it becomes available.

My take away from the video (and this was only upon viewing perhaps 1/2 the presentation, so it may be inaccurate) was that they were still struggling to figure out specifically when and where the Senolytic drugs were going to be best implemented. Expected results are not anywhere near what they’ve hoped for so far. Its still very early in the field.

So - given all this, I remain watching on the side-lines. If they can’t get senolytics to work in their human clinical trials, I doubt my own abilities to get senolytics to work in my body.

But, I’ve love to hear people’s results (positive or negative) with Senolytic protocols like dasatinib + fisetin, etc.

10 Likes

Dr. Alan Green has a long discussion about senolytics at https://senolyticstreatment.com/; probably worth a read. I personally have been following the original Kirkland/Mayo Clinic fisetin protocol which I believe was 20mg/kg 3 days/month. I’m on the fence about whether to continue once my current supply runs out… leaning toward not.

1 Like

I know every time there is a post like this, I can count on you to chime in and bring me up to speed on the topic.

Thanks!

1 Like

Doesn’t Blogosklonny maintain that rapa is a senolytic?

Senolytics are a double edged sword. The reason I stopped taking NAC is that it protects lung cells from becoming senescent. Without these senescent cells, however, there is a higher chance of developing lung cancer (approx. 10% in mice, 50% in mice mimicing smokers). However, the decreased senescent cells equated to fewer problems with emphysema and better lung health if you disregard the cancer risk.

“Senolytics are a double edged sword. The reason I stopped taking NAC is that it protects lung cells from becoming senescent. Without these senescent cells, however, there is a higher chance of developing lung cancer (approx. 10% in mice, 50% in mice mimicing smokers). However, the decreased senescent cells equated to fewer problems with emphysema and better lung health if you disregard the cancer risk.”

But then: Rapa also delays entry of cells into senescence. This has been discussed in research.

1 Like

I read the article you linked to. But Scientific co-founders of companies, that don’t actually work at the company, typically don’t have much to do with a company’s day to day operation. They tend to sit in on occasional advisory meetings, and conference calls (I’ve organized and run these types of advisory boards), so whatever this guy’s issues in his lab likely were not (I suspect) reflected in the company’s operating history.

1 Like

Thanks for posting. You know a lot more about Unity than I do, I can tell.

It is true that Rapa delays the entry of cells into senescence which is usually a good thing. However, it also prevents/fights against cancer. If Rapa increased the odds of getting cancer, I think fewer people would take it. I truly wish that NAC did not increase the chance of lung cancer as I really thought it had a lot of therapeutic and life-extending benefits.

1 Like

I recommend you watch this video by Cynthia Kenyon - a leader in the field, and a co-founder of Unity Biotech (a senolytic company) - to get an update on the senescent cell / senolytic field:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this video. Very insightful!

Could someone summarize the key takeaways regarding senolytics?

1 Like

Her ending slide…

1 Like

I was about to pull the trigger and was going to start dasatinib, but after watching this video, I’m rethinking it.

2 Likes

I suspect that as rapamycin users we’ve got some reasonable protection from senescent cells (rapamycin is a senomorphic drug - slows the conversion to senescence) - so I’m happy to wait a year or more until the research is a little more conclusive. But everyone has a different risk/reward profile, so I’m not criticizing anyone who is trying senolytics.

2 Likes

Rapadmin: Please keep us posted on your senescent cell journey…I’m with you…going to wait it out another year and see what research comes out. Please share any research on this topic you come across.

2 Likes

I have dasatinib + quercetin with me at home but I haven’t used them yet. Not sure if its worth the risk. I heard that combination is very potent at removing senescent cells Whats everyone’s thought abouts dasatinib + quercetin? I believe dr alan green takes it him self every 2 weeks if im not mistaking… (maybe wrong).

I might wait a few more years for studies to come out as I’m 27 almost 28. I probably don’t have a huge senescent cell load just yet.

1 Like

My thought is that your body is good enough at removing senescent cells until you turn 40, so I wouldn’t use senolytics before then. After 40, A D+Q cleansing maybe once every 6 months to a year. If I was older, maybe once every 1-2 months.

Ther are other weaker senolytics such as Fisetin and PCC1. I currently take both of those each month as I don’t think they are as potent as D+Q.

7 Likes