Seeking advice, afraid I have to quit

Yes bought one for my home. A splurge on health. Love my sauna from radiant health in Canada. It is infrared.

1 Like

Many health clubs/gyms have saunas and or steam rooms, especially in larger cities.
Having your own in-home sauna certainly would be convenient if you can afford it.
My health club has very reasonable prices and provides indoor lap pools, an exercise pool, a spa, a steam room, and a dry Swedish sauna. The cost of an average in-home steam room would pay for many years of membership fees at my club.

1 Like

Not to mention the running costs of a sauna, especially now with gas and electricity prices going up so much.

Also I’d just add as a recommendation to Danlalane, have at least one if not two days a week without any formal exercise at all, just to give the muscles a chance to fully recover and rebuild. You say you exercise every day - I think you might actually be overdoing it a bit hence the continual aches and pains.
I only do formal exercise 5 days a week. I’m not a sloth on the other 2 days, but nothing formal; I feel it just gives my body a chance to recover and rebuild.

1 Like

@RPS you are right. I need some rest. A day with a walk and maybe some yoga. Now I do weights every other day and cardio in the between days. Running or cycling. No dedicated rest day(s).

When the pandemic hit I turned off the gym membership and outfitted my home with a smith machine with weight stacks, dumbbells, peloton, treadmill and sauna. I did the math and my break even was 5 years. I am two plus years in and I love it. No drive time. Can sneak in workouts at all times. The run cost of the sauna is negligible. I use it on my cardio days after I am done my workout. $10-20/mo of electricity depending on time of year. It is in my garage so in the winter costs more. I love our setup.

1 Like

Took 5mg this past Monday after having a black coffee. Felt a bit more stimulus this time on day 1. The rest of the week I felt tired. It was a rainy and chilly week. It could be that. Going to try 6mg on Monday and the weather is going to be sunny and nice this week. We’ll see.

1 Like

Welcome back. Hope it goes well. If you have any issues at all with this restart at 5mg, you may want to start a more gradual approach - e.g. starting at 1mg/week, then 2mg/week, etc… I can’t prove it, but in my situation I had minimal side effects until I got up to the 8mg to 10mg / per week and then it was a rash under my Fitbit on my wrist. Finally had to stop wearing the Fitbit.

Thank you @RapAdmin. My schedule was 2,3,4,4,5…… my next dose will be my 6th. Haven’t really had sides this time around. Maybe a little
Tired. Not sure if that is related.

2 Likes

Took my 7th dose this morning. And my 3rd at 6mg. The fatigue I felt has reduced and I feel ‘well’. I have had a couple of canker sores but nothing a salt rub couldn’t cure. A little GI, flatulence the 2nd or 3rd day after dose but not bad. On the up side Visceral fat is down to the eye test. I am going to get my blood work done in 5 weeks and will post my before and after. Steady as she goes………

3 Likes

I thought I would post my before and after blood work. My doctor said everything is fine except insulin. They are concerned with my low level. I searched the forum, but didn’t see others mention this.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing!
On 6/23 your LDL-C dropped almost by half! were you doing anything different? Looks like the before and after Rapa is the nearly the same, what was your dose schedule?

BTW, My fasting insulin was 1.0 (a few months ago, before rapa) I was also wondering if this is not great and could not find much info with regard to low fasting insulin in otherwise healthy adults. Did’nt seem to cause my Doc any concern

1 Like

Biggest difference on 6/23 on cholesterol was diet and exercise. Switched to plant based 6 mo prior and went after the exercising and fasting.

Dose of Rapa was 2mg adding a mg a week until 6.

1 Like

Yes, it (low insulin) was a concern of mine. My post-prandial insulin was 2.0/L before I started Sirolimus.
I posted about one terrible day I had when I first took 2 mg. I haven’t had a repeat of that but I sometimes had a “hangover” feeling if I took it in evening. So I switched to AM.
I believe Sirolimus lowers insulin. If your pre-Sirolimus insulin levels are high, you probably won’t notice anything. But if they are already low, it might depress insulin to Type-1 diabetic levels.
That’s just my take on it and I could be wrong. Any comments (especially from endocrinologists!) welcome.

1 Like

I think we need to know glucagon levels. Rapamycin tricks the body into believing it is in a low nutrient state, insulin is the nutrient storage hormone so low insulin would make sense in that regard.

1 Like

Danalane, I believe my insulin level is also lower, but not as low as yours. The article below doesn’t directly address your concern, but it may be worth reading.

“rapamycin treatment of lean C57B/L6 mice reduced glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in vivo and ex vivo as well as the insulin content and beta cell mass of pancreatic islets”

2 Likes

Plant based, as in vegan? any animal protein like eggs? that’s an incredible drop in LDL-C. How much and what kind of meat were you consuming prior to going “plant based” ?

So it was one reading and it went back up even though my lifestyle and diet stayed consistent so not sure there are too many learnings. To answer your question, full plant based. I don’t use the vegan word because I wear leather and am not eating this way for animal activist reasons. I don’t eat any meat (seafood, chicken, red meat, eggs), I don’t eat dairy, gluten, or sugar. I try to keep my nightshades and high lectin foods to a minimum too. I don’t drink alcohol. Instead, I have too much impossible burger and processed meat alternatives which I know isn’t good. It is just convenient and yummy.

And prior to switching diets I ate lots of meat, cheese, and low carb carnivore.

2 Likes

Got my A1C and Glucose levels back added them above. Both down.

2 Likes

Does your plant based diet include whole grains?

Do you take Vitamin B12 which is not that available from plants.

1 Like

Yes I eat some whole grains, avoid gluten though.

1 Like