Sarcopenia--new clues

“The pathways that control cell processes and development work differently in older cells and are downregulated, meaning regeneration is impacted the older we get.

“If we can understand these pathways, however, we could potentially identify new therapies and interventions to mitigate the problem.”

full text

I think there’s a lot more to this than just throwing more protein at it.

I’m not convinced that works well.

an excerpt:
At the end of the regeneration, however, extracellular matrix-related processes were the most enriched in young cells (Figure [6(c)], whereas skeletal muscle processes (i.e., muscle adaptation, contraction, hypertrophy, and relaxation) remained overrepresented in aged cells (Figure [6(d)]. A closer analysis of GO enrichment demonstrates the downregulation of these biological processes in aged (Figure [6(f)]but not in young cells (Figure [6(e)], which could explain the impaired muscle cell regeneration in aged muscle shown in the morphological analysis.

My guess is that there is a lot of junk accumulated in the extracellular matrix in old organisms and we’d probably do better to make the highest priority keeping junk from accumulating rather than putting more junk in.

3 Likes

“Higher dietary protein intake is associated

NEVER trust association studies, they are bunk.
Alarming Study Claims High Protein DESTROYS Muscle - YouTube

4 Likes

It’s very easy to find other studies that argue inadequate protein intake contributes to sarcopenia.

3 Likes

Sarcopenia is caused by cells being unable to produce the full range of proteins. This is an issue with translation and transcription.

2 Likes

Because they are not getting the needed signals, because there is a lot of junk in the way.

2 Likes