Rupatadine reduces central nervous system inflammation

I’ve been taking this for years. Mast cell go to drugs for are: rupatadine, rapamycin, and seligilne. Montelukast is nice, theoretically. I notice a big difference when I take the first few meds but I don’t notice that big a difference on montelukast.

Overactive mast cells can be a big contributor to generalized inflammation.

I was diagnosed with mass cell activation Syndrome by a neurologist years ago but I already knew what was going on. Later, I found an allergist who specialized in Mast Cell diseases and he was able to write prescriptions and code them so my insurance paid for all this stuff except rupatadine which is not FDA registered. My PCP was able to look at the codes he used and now she can get me all this stuff through my insurance as well.

"A possible treatment approach of patients with mast cell mediator release disorders would be as follows (Table 9): (1) Antihistamines (cetirizine, diphenhydramine, hydroxyzine); (2) antihistamines with anti-eosinophilic action (ketotifen, rupatadine); (3) antihistamine with antiserotonin action (cyproheptadine); (4) tricyclic antidepressants with combined antihistamine action (doxepin); (5) flavonoids (luteolin, quercetin of high purity and increased absorption); (6) antileukotrienes (montelukast); (7) cromolyn sodium; (8) steroids (methylprednisolone); (9) epinephrine (EpiPen, AnaPen); (10) anti-IgE (omalizumab), kinase inhibitors (imatinib, mitostaurine, avapritinib) should be reserved for aggressive SM or mast cell leukemiia

3 Likes

How do you test for mast cell activation?

Hi Joel,

From Dr. Theoharides at Tufts Medical School who coined the term Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. Officially, the few doctors who work with this syndrome say that triptase needs to be high and there’s an equation and a recommended way to measure it. Doctor Theoharides disagrees. He says that there are many cytokines that can be increased with overactive mast cells. Here’s a good article on it. He also says that one of the primary symptoms is neurological problems which is something that the other doctors, the ones who didn’t discover the syndrome, say is necessary for a diagnosis.

“Conditions associated with elevated serum or urine levels of any mast cell mediator, in the absence of any comorbidity that could otherwise explain such increases, should be considered mast cell activation disorders, or better yet be collectively termed ‘Mast Cell Mediator Disorders (MCMD).’ Emphasis should be placed on the identification of unique mast cell mediators, and development of drugs or supplements that inhibit their release.”

1 Like